[Stock] The Nausicaa Replica pack

Red Dwarf

I'm back!

Winter break is upon us, and at last I can return to build new aircraft! While I was at school, I sketched out some designs from one of my favorite movies... hell, one of my favorite single pieces of fiction, Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I love the series for a lot of reasons, and one of them is the aircraft. Such unconventional, instantly recognizable designs. They're almost characters in their own right.

BC5IJgm.png

I've worked on a few designs from Nausicaa in the past, most notably a recreation of the Corvette from waaay back in the souposphere. I just barely got it to fly, but this was before the Mark 3 parts were even introduced, and I never finished that build to my satisfaction. However, the new parts that were introduced in 1.0.5 suddenly made it possible to attempt the build again. After I made one, I couldn't stop myself from making more. So, without further ado...

Nausicaa's Glider (The Mehve)

6SxTseJ.png

This one's teeny tiny, but it was fun to work on and tons of fun to fly! I might come back and do more work on this, cause I'm not all that satisfied with how it flies right now, but that's a project for another time.

KerbalX Download

The Corvette

wPEaRje.png

This is the first thing I built when I got home from school, and I was shocked at how simple it was to put together. I didn't even have to go through my usual design process (of six or seven redesigns). I just slapped wings on the fuselage, and it just worked, no tinkering required. When I did do some tinkering, it started flying better than I could have hoped.

KerbalX Download

The Bumblecrow

fsyVyOF.png

Now this is the one I never expected to work. It's probably the largest aircraft I've worked on, and I think you'll be amazed at how it flies. Despite it's bizarre design, it actually can fly. Not very well, granted, but a lot better than you'd expect. It's not really a mover, and it sure as hell ain't a looker. It's more of an... exister. It works in defiance of all expectations.

KerbalX Download

I might try working on some other designs later, but those were the big ones. Have fun with em, folks!

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Nice!  I don't recognize the source fictions, but I love the looks of them!  Especially the Bumblecrow.

You're missing out! Valley of the wind, howls moving castle, ponyo, spirited away, my neighbor Totoro. Watch these movies immediately! Or anything by Studio Ghibli. Thank me later.

8 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

You're missing out! Valley of the wind, howls moving castle, ponyo, spirited away, my neighbor Totoro. Watch these movies immediately! Or anything by Studio Ghibli. Thank me later.

Hmm, I have seen Howl's moving castle and my neighbor Totoro, it's been a while though, I might be forgetting stuff from them.

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Hmm, I have seen Howl's moving castle and my neighbor Totoro, it's been a while though, I might be forgetting stuff from them.

I think the craft in the op are from that one movie mentioned, the valley of the wind, here are some pics:

nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind_592x2

nausicaa_bomber.jpg

On 01/10/2016 at 1:28 AM, selfish_meme said:

You should all watch The Wind Rises, its a historical ghible anime about the designer of the Mitsubishi Zero

I've seen most of the Ghible stuff. It's almost always good, sometimes great. Not sure I have seen that one though. Will have a look.

Edited by Majorjim

On 1/10/2016 at 0:28 AM, selfish_meme said:

You should all watch The Wind Rises, its a historical ghible anime about the designer of the Mitsubishi Zero

Not quite historical, but a great film none the less.

Jiro was married, his wife did not die, had a brother not a sister, he had children. There are a lot of other possible inaccuracies too, be your own judge.

But the flying is great and most of the aircraft history is solid from what I have read.

Oh, and don't miss Porco Rosso too :) 

Edited by John.E

23 minutes ago, John.E said:

Not quite historical, but a great film none the less.

Jiro was married, his wife did not die, had a brother not a sister, he had children. There are a lot of other possible inaccuracies too, be your own judge.

But the flying is great and most of the aircraft history is solid from what I have read.

Oh, and don't miss Porco Rosso too :) 

Ah well, don't let a few inaccuracies get in the way of a good film or we would all be liquided at The Martian

On 1/12/2016 at 9:51 PM, selfish_meme said:

Ah well, don't let a few inaccuracies get in the way of a good film or we would all be liquided at The Martian

Did you miss my opening and closing comments?

Likening The Wind Rises to The Martian feeble. One could be taken as a historical piece (which it should not be, hence my post) the other never in a month of Sundays.

Ah well, don't let actually reading a post get in the way of a good snipe ;)

38 minutes ago, John.E said:

Did you miss my opening and closing comments?

Likening The Wind Rises to The Martian feeble. One could be taken as a historical piece (which it should not be, hence my post) the other never in a month of Sundays.

Ah well, don't let actually reading a post get in the way of a good snipe ;)

I was not sniping I was agreeing with you, maybe you should reread it and not be so fast to retaliate to imagined injustices.

I saw your signature and had to drop by! Nausicaa (and other Ghibli fare) is a favorite of mine and I'm excited that these work in current KSP! I always wondered how some of Miyazaki's crazier designs would work, so it's really cool to see these. I'd really like to make some of the craft from Porco Rosso, which is a particular favorite of mine, and plan to do so once I unlock more parts in my career save.

35 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I saw your signature and had to drop by! Nausicaa (and other Ghibli fare) is a favorite of mine and I'm excited that these work in current KSP! I always wondered how some of Miyazaki's crazier designs would work, so it's really cool to see these. I'd really like to make some of the craft from Porco Rosso, which is a particular favorite of mine, and plan to do so once I unlock more parts in my career save.

I did try and build Porco's pretty red plane, but I was having some issues. Center of mass too high, offset thrust caused torque... the design is a monster. Someday I'm really going to dedicate some time to making that one work, but not right now. That's gonna have to be after school gets out. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hope this isn't too much necro-post-mancy, but those designs are incredible! The fact that you slapped that corvette together in 10 minutes shames me, I worked on mine for a few hours and it doesn't look nearly as good. 

Any idea if they still work in 1.1.3 (I spy the old small landing gear I think) and/or 1.0.5 with FAR?

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.