Editing an IVA space? Where are the unity files?

10 hours ago, Hary R said:

Wait, where are you now in your IVA creation,

1- Do you have part tool? if not grab it.

2- take a look at this post, there is a very good video tuto for prop placement (iva demo 3).

3- if you have more question, go ahead the forum is here for that.

To answer your questions,

1. I have part tools configured already, I am familiar with part development for KSP.

2. I am not quite at that step yet, I need the IVA assets for the stock pods.

Following along the tutorial would have probably shown you this too but...  I think what you're asking for is accessed by:

In Unity, if you have the part tools properly configured and pointed at your gamedata directory, up at the top of the Unity window tools>KSP Part Tools gives you a pop up window from which you can browse and insert any props in your gamedata directory.  Careful to make sure you're only using props that are stock, or that are coming with your mods...  it's easy to insert RPM bits or pieces from other mods then wonder why your release thread is full of "Why doesn't the IVA have a navball?" questions.  

If you were trying to pull the models into blender or the textures into photoshop instead of getting access to them in Unity (For whatever reason... the correct way to place props is in Unity!) then they're in your gamedata directory the same as any other asset.

On 21/12/2015 at 7:54 PM, SpaceToad said:

To answer your questions,

1. I have part tools configured already, I am familiar with part development for KSP.

2. I am not quite at that step yet, I need the IVA assets for the stock pods.

The post above show the proper way to create an iva, my advice is to make a copy of your game ( for fast testing), only put your mod (part and internal), and the assets you need.

In unity, the part tool will also allows you to spawn any internal that are in your gamedata directory, no need to model one on your own unless you want to make some modification to the model in itself. I think the video don't show that but you can figure it easily, it's the first window to show up in the part tool pop up window if you already have configured part tool. After that it's just a game of pick what prop you want and place it that part is well explained in the tuto.

by the way, in unity, if your prop don't have any texture, that's normal, unity don't seem to handle the DDS formal, but the prop will show correctly in game.

Edited by Hary R

23 hours ago, Hary R said:

The post above show the proper way to create an iva, my advice is to make a copy of your game ( for fast testing), only put your mod (part and internal), and the assets you need.

In unity, the part tool will also allows you to spawn any internal that are in your gamedata directory, no need to model one on your own unless you want to make some modification to the mode in itself. I think the video don't show that but you can figure it easily, it's the first window to show up in the part tool pop up window if you already have configured part tool. After that it's just a game of pick what prop you want and place it that part is well explained in the tuto.

by the way, in unity, if your prop don't have any texture, that's normal, unity don't seem to handle the DDS formal, but the prop will shwo correctly in game.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 3:27 PM, artwhaley said:

Following along the tutorial would have probably shown you this too but...  I think what you're asking for is accessed by:

In Unity, if you have the part tools properly configured and pointed at your gamedata directory, up at the top of the Unity window tools>KSP Part Tools gives you a pop up window from which you can browse and insert any props in your gamedata directory.  Careful to make sure you're only using props that are stock, or that are coming with your mods...  it's easy to insert RPM bits or pieces from other mods then wonder why your release thread is full of "Why doesn't the IVA have a navball?" questions.  

If you were trying to pull the models into blender or the textures into photoshop instead of getting access to them in Unity (For whatever reason... the correct way to place props is in Unity!) then they're in your gamedata directory the same as any other asset.

Thanks guys. I wasn't aware that the stock assets could be accessed in unity by default.

And, rereading your OP, with ASET Props installed in your game directory, you can place them in Unity as well.  Also, take a look at the RPM documentation, if you model and texture at all.  It's VERY easy to make your own custom IVA Props to do something really original.  My Dreamer mod has a complete RPM glass cockpit that wasn't really hard to do at all, and gives the pod a very unique look.

1 hour ago, artwhaley said:

And, rereading your OP, with ASET Props installed in your game directory, you can place them in Unity as well.  Also, take a look at the RPM documentation, if you model and texture at all.  It's VERY easy to make your own custom IVA Props to do something really original.  My Dreamer mod has a complete RPM glass cockpit that wasn't really hard to do at all, and gives the pod a very unique look.

I got to hand it to you, your Dreamer mod is amazing.

I have unity working, and I've imported the pod I want to edit, but everything is pink! Welp.

Any ideas?

https://gyazo.com/2b820225d8ca39843998e2e338f5b0dc

I HAVE seen that before... But it's been long enough that I don't remember why?  Maybe I'd deleted a material...  or deleted the mesh rendered, then re-added it and hadn't reassigned the shader and everything yet?  That's where I'd start- select the actual mesh, not any parent empty objects that may exist, and look through the mesh renderer settings, make sure a valid ksp shader is selected and point it towards a valid texture...  if you don't want to bother finding the game texture and converting from dds, you could just point it at a grey texture to get it 'less migraine inducing' for now?

• 5 years later...

I want to give the Cold War Aerospace Pack And Firespitter a nice ASET and MAS IVA Pack. Im having trouble getting the first one started. the apache cockpit from firespitter. unity 2019.4 says it cant find the model000 file. i found it. why cant unity? can anybody give me a proper 2021 guide on modifying IVA's?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.