Laythe's Calling-Chapter 3-Explanations

DMSP

So I guess I should go for another story. And this time, I'll finish it.

Credits to the following people (List may increase):

First, CaptKordite for making excellent craft that I will use.

And second, @Raptor9 because I mentioned his craft. Check him out!

Chapter 1-The situation

It had been less than three months since the Space Program had lost funding, but Adam Kerman was already noticing the effects. The Administration Building was empty, Tracking Dish #2 wasn't in sync and Mission Control had already ordered the shutdown of GKO-2 and the de-orbitation of GKO-3.

GgpWubG.png?1

GKO-2 Transmits its last signal.

4Sc6eM5.png

GKO-3 Commences its de-orbitation burn.

quR7FKH.png?1

The final debris from GKO-3 enter Kerbin's atmosphere.

Adam heard rumors later that day that Ruby Station would meet its fiery death around Duna. And the very next morning, Ruby Station was de-orbited.

88KsfXV.pngJ3xCPMF.png

Ruby Station's tugs prepare the station for de-orbitation.

uQQLU6L.png

The burn was done in a few minutes.

s1rln0s.pngp0FiOZc.png

The station made its death plunge and soon started tumbling.

R4n94mb.png3w70Wu2.png

The station made a futile suicide burn to try to stop what would come next.

L4TCSgA.png

And Ruby Station vanished in a flash of light.

Adam wished there was still some hope for this Space Program. If there wasn't things would go bad very fast.

Edited by DMSP
Credits!

Nice destruction ;).  I need to cull my herd, too.

Obviously, there's a lot of backstory here I'm not familiar with.  Got a link to the earlier stuff?  You obviously put a lot of work into the stuff you just crashed and who is Adam?

Anyway, good luck with what I assume will be a major Laythe mission.

6 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Nice destruction ;).  I need to cull my herd, too.

Obviously, there's a lot of backstory here I'm not familiar with.  Got a link to the earlier stuff?  You obviously put a lot of work into the stuff you just crashed and who is Adam?

Anyway, good luck with what I assume will be a major Laythe mission.

Don't worry, it's going to be explained in flashbacks and I just realised that Adam isn't all to specific. He's an Engineer in my save game.

[Edit]: Actually there's no earlier stuff.

I do have a few links to stuff, but all of it is completely unrelated. Enjoy...

Edited by DMSP
Removed some clutter.

Why not have another chapter. Oh, and thanks @Raptor9 for the EV-3. It's a great craft but I have blown it up in LKO.

Chapter 2-Ballistic

Gene shook his head in denial. It had been a long day helping get Tracking Dish #2 back online. Now he was in Mort's office learning about how his space program was going to end.

"So how many funds do we have?" He asked.

Mort looked just as tired. "We have exactly 401,965 Funds. Wait, 401,975 funds."

"And this is without any mission contracts?"

"Yes."

"Holy Moho..."

hF4igzO.png

Giene Kerman climbed up the support ladder on the TK-DC03A capsule test launcher. She looked down at the Launch pad, and then climbed in the capsule. The launch tower was pulled away by a tractor, but both fell off the side of the pad. A few funds down the drain.

"Giene, prepare for lift-off." Gene said over the intercom. She clutched the sides of her seat, anxious to get the test over with.nq7d7GS.png

"3. 2. 1. Ignition."

UxtaBCR.png

The rocket lurched upwards, rising rapidly due to the powerful rocket motors.

Giene closes her eyes for a bit. She was surprised when the rockets cut off.

"And stage separation." Gene announced.

jqTrizI.png

Mort watched from a screen in his office. 7,640 funds gone.

"Giene, you're free to do an EVA. Test the airlock."

"Will do." She flushed the atmosphere out of the capsule, seeing it disappear into space.

J1Nl1iB.png

She looked at the booster fading into the distance. Behind it, she saw glints. Within seconds a medium sized object flashed by and then was gone.

"Mission Control, could you talk to the people in the tracking station. I think I just saw one of the boosters from the EV-3 'Clipper'."

"Are you sure you saw that booster?"

"Absolutely. I'm getting back in the capsule now."

Mission control later confirmed that a booster from the failed EV-3 had swung by Giene, flying by less than 740 meters from her capsule.

Q2tELg5.png

Giene soon felt Gs rising. The craft pushed 11 Gs and she blacked out. She saw the inside of the EV-3's Lab. She saw it folding and bending as the NERVAs ignited. She saw the capsule thundering through Kerbin's atmosphere. She heard the parachute get ripped from its socket.

She saw the capsule's airlock get ripped off. She felt herself get thrown out of her chair.

Then she remembered the paramedic's aircraft land in the desert.

Giene, can you hear me? She heard them say. Giene, are you ok?

eCppJ8t.png

"Giene, do you read?" Giene regained conciseness and remembered where she was. 2,500 meters above sea level.

She quickly pulled an emergency cord. A single parachute blossomed out above the TK capsule.

r2eIQih.png

Half a minute later, Giene took off her helmet and walked to the Astronaut Complex.

Edited by DMSP

6 hours ago, VASMIR said:

When I saw the New Shepard I jumped in excitement.

:)

It does look like the New Shepard.

Definitely 100% intentional really I'm not lying bye.

I literally just put those two things together and now it's a New Shepard. My life.

Have a good day!

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Did that EV-3 booster really come that close by sheer coincidence while getting the shots for the story?  I know it's extremely unlikely, but that would be a heck of an improve, ha ha.

Yes, actually I had no idea until I saw this Orange thing fly off the screen. I zoomed out and saw debris flying Kilometers away from me. I targeted it, and it was part of the EV-3.

It actually was kinda cool!

43 minutes ago, DMSP said:

Yes, actually I had no idea until I saw this Orange thing fly off the screen. I zoomed out and saw debris flying Kilometers away from me. I targeted it, and it was part of the EV-3.

It actually was kinda cool!

Ha ha ha, that's awesome

Chapter 3-Explanations

Gene looked down at the 12 Astronauts sitting in the Mission Control Building. 13 More were waiting in space, 7 on Minmus, and 6 waiting on the expensive Kerbin Return Spacecraft falling towards Kerbol.

Gene cleared his throat.

"As you all know, DM Space Program has been defunded. We are no longer receiving our annual 2 Million funds. Public interest in our program has gone down greatly. 9 of our private contacts have terminated our contracts."

The Kerbals listened to this news. The situation seemed hopeless.

"However." Gene continued. "There's some hope left. We just found out from Jeb's Junkyard that they are devoting all of their funds and parts to our space program. Tantares just gave us 3 ALV-A Boosters, which cost 55,000 funds each."

A few Kerbals smiled. They were not as alone as it seemed.

Gene then smiled back at them. "We have come up with a plan to get back Public interest and hopefully some secure funding. A one way Laythe mission."

Wernher then stood up. 

"We are now testing new equipment for the Laythe Landings. Giene's Sub-orbital launch was the first of these tests."

Gene took over.

"The Laythe Reconnaissance Probe has made a few new and interesting findings. First, Laythe isn't as freezing as we thought. In the day, it can get as warm as 13 Degrees Celsius. And in the Night, the temperature only dips to 5 Degrees. We've also discovered that there may have been life on Laythe. It could still be there in the Sagan Sea. Organic Compounds have been detected hundreds of times."

"We're only asking for one thing. Volunteers. Talk to Gene or I and you'll start doing tests."

"Ok, I think we're done."

The radios turned off, and the Kerbals walked out of the doors, wondering about what would be next.

One stayed behind. As Wernher cleaned up his presentation materials, Giene walked up to him.

"Wernher, Sign me up."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.