I need Boats! (for the GAP Contract Pack)

inigma

I need boats to spawn in distress and rescue Kerbals from.  I need at least three more good boats, could be any size, but preferably small stock part count (under 100), with Command Seats and maybe even cabins. Crewed by anywhere from 2-10 Kerbals. They do not have to functional (heck they could even look disabled) since they are props meant to stage a Kerbals in distress. Contract Configurator can spawn any vessel from my GAP\Assets folder anywhere in the game.

Example of a rescue mission: (see link to the GAP Contract Pack in my sig)

KfeLhoi.png

UPDATE:  Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose 1.0 Beta is released!

Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP):
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129208-contract-pack-giving-aircraft-a-purpose-gap-10-beta-air-flights-tours-coast-guard-sts-105jan-4-2016/

Edited by inigma

I have a small fishing boat I started working on but never finished. 
rjPbAj1.png

It seats four Kerbals, and has a top speed of about 15 m/s (I think). If you like it, I can find where I put it, dust off the cobwebs, polish it a little bit (I'd like it to sit higher in the water, go a little faster, and have a greater range), and give it to you.

Nice small fishing boat, even it is not functional. For rescue mission purposes, I think that is not necessary to be compleatly functional boat, if it was working fine, there will be no need for rescuing missions :)

Anyway, I guess that there is need to be created from only stock parts ?

There is also need for cheating, to put that boat somewhere in water instead of runway, can someone provide info about it ?
I know that something like that is possible, but I forgot how to do it, never used this kind of stuff in KSP.

Ways to launch/move vessels to water, without wheels or "driving" them there:

1) HyperEdit

2) VesselMover

3) KerbinSide

4) Firespitter water launch part

Unfortunately for the purists, these are all mods... But then again, if you are a purist, what are you doing even playing this CC pack for, in the first place? :)

I prefer HyperEdit, since you can put in coords, and launch ANYWHERE on (or off), the planet...

I wish the Firespitter part had its launch position defined in the .cfg, so it could be user changed, but it seems to be hard-coded into the .dll itself... :(

Edited by Stone Blue

Stock parts only, they don't have to be functional.

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I have a small fishing boat I started working on but never finished. 
rjPbAj1.png

It seats four Kerbals, and has a top speed of about 15 m/s (I think). If you like it, I can find where I put it, dust off the cobwebs, polish it a little bit (I'd like it to sit higher in the water, go a little faster, and have a greater range), and give it to you.

Perfect. link?

I have a 670 parts PT Boat replica almost complete, but I don't think it would be hard to strip it down to a 100 or so, maybe take a chunk out of the hull and have engines destroyed to make it look dead in the water and reduce parts. It is quite large however..

5URetcYh.jpg

Edited by SaturnianBlue

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Ways to launch/move vessels to water, without wheels or "driving" them there:

1) HyperEdit

2) VesselMover

3) KerbinSide

4) Firespitter water launch part

Unfortunately for the purists, these are all mods... But then again, if you are a purist, what are you doing even playing this CC pack for, in the first place? :)

I prefer HyperEdit, since you can put in coords, and launch ANYWHERE on (or off), the planet...

I wish the Firespitter part had its launch position defined in the .cfg, so it could be user changed, but it seems to be hard-coded into the .dll itself... :(

I'm not said that I'm purist, but I never used those mods for cheating purposes, never needed them.
Firespitter and Kerbinside have problems with KSP 1.0.5. and firespitter would add too much parts to already heavy moded game.

So, some kind of cheating is necessary to put boat in water, for testing purposes, when game physics kick in, to prevent boat falling apart.
"Stock parts only" rule is needed, as I correctly guessed, because GAP will be used by both, players with moded game and players with stock parts only.
Having to guess or checking if player have installed XY mod to be able to give him proper boat for contract could be pain in *** for future development of contract pack mod.

I was know that there is mod that enable spawns of crafts at desired location, but I forgot name of mod, thanks for reminder.

53 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

I'm not said that I'm purist, but I never used those mods for cheating purposes, never needed them.

My comment wasnt directed at any one person... Just a light-hearted comment... :)

Firespitter and Kerbinside have problems with KSP 1.0.5. and firespitter would add too much parts to already heavy moded game.

Well, i didnt say these would CURRENTLY work... :) Just thought I would mention them as possibilities...At least once they get fixed...
And as far as Firespitter, you can just keep the .dll and the water launch part, and delete all the rest of the mod...

So, some kind of cheating is necessary to put boat in water, for testing purposes, when game physics kick in, to prevent boat falling apart.
"Stock parts only" rule is needed, as I correctly guessed, because GAP will be used by both, players with moded game and players with stock parts only.
Having to guess or checking if player have installed XY mod to be able to give him proper boat for contract could be pain in *** for future development of contract pack mod.

You wouldnt need to have the Firespitter part attached to, and distributed with the .craft file.... So the boats WOULD be useable by modded or stock players... IF thats what you were referring to...
And none of the methods I mentioned SHOULD make a lick of difference with GAP, whether installed or not.... :)

How about the KS Kastaway as a kandidate?   lol

All stock, 26 parts.... Made from only the FINEST crashed rocket parts....

(The 4th seat is empty, because Kris Kerman got taken overboard by the Kraken... :D )

Edited by Stone Blue

Here are a few boats I made after the buoyancy update.  First, a recreational motor boat / powerboat that seats 8 in external seats.  It has 59 parts and can go about 15 m/s.  Second, a small sailboat with a cabin for two Kerbals and seats for three more on deck.  It has 50 parts and is also jet powered but only has a top speed of 1.5 m/s.  The sailboat has a weird problem, if you try to EVA Kerbals from the cabin by pressing the EVA button, it will say hatch obstructed, but if you click on the open hatch and then click EVA from there it will work fine.  If you want the sailboat to look more in distress you could remove the sails and some of the rigging or break the mast.

RVXLE0H.png

Sr49AIt.png

Motor boat - https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl6q23l843lov66/Powerboat.craft?dl=0

Sailboat - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvd49oi1w6w2jn4/Day%20Sailer.craft?dl=0

Just now, sdj64 said:

Here are a few boats I made after the buoyancy update.  First, a recreational motor boat / powerboat that seats 8 in external seats.  It has 59 parts and can go about 15 m/s.  Second, a small sailboat with a cabin for two Kerbals and seats for three more on deck.  It has 50 parts and is also jet powered but only has a top speed of 1.5 m/s.  The sailboat has a weird problem, if you try to EVA Kerbals from the cabin by pressing the EVA button, it will say hatch obstructed, but if you click on the open hatch and then click EVA from there it will work fine.  If you want the sailboat to look more in distress you could remove the sails and some of the rigging or break the mast.

RVXLE0H.png

Sr49AIt.png

The sailboat is adorable!

2 hours ago, sdj64 said:

RVXLE0H.png

Sr49AIt.png

I really like these. Really. A lot. These are perfect! I'll make sure you get proper credit. Do you have any more?

19 hours ago, inigma said:

I really like these. Really. A lot. These are perfect! I'll make sure you get proper credit. Do you have any more?

Thank you!  I made a hydrofoil and a hovercraft style jetboat too, but they were bigger and don't look very good.  I could work on making them prettier if you need more designs.

I see alot of boats on here, most of them look better than my little Bayou, but if you still want it, here's the download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-NU1M-kaIhgbFNCZlFMMU5OQ1k

And here's the boat's theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5V9nK7-OkM

EDIT: These boats are going to be spawned out in the ocean for people to rescue, correct? You may like this as well. AAZK1kM.jpg

It's pretty hard to sail, can't go very fast (the solar panels would break), and capsizes very easily, but if it isn't moving, it (usually) sits in the water alright. Has seats for three Kerbals, and looks pretty good. Perfect for being the target of rescue missions!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

On 12/21/2015 at 4:07 PM, Dfthu said:

K here you go! from 321 parts to 136 parts! craft file here

21 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

Here is a boat I made. moves around 47 m/s and can hold at least 10 kerbals (i think its 11 but may be more). only 69 parts.

2gMYcNF.png

5 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I see alot of boats on here, most of them look better than my little Bayou, but if you still want it, here's the download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-NU1M-kaIhgbFNCZlFMMU5OQ1k

And here's the boat's theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5V9nK7-OkM

EDIT: These boats are going to be spawned out in the ocean for people to rescue, correct? You may like this as well. AAZK1kM.jpg

It's pretty hard to sail, can't go very fast (the solar panels would break), and capsizes very easily, but if it isn't moving, it (usually) sits in the water alright. Has seats for three Kerbals, and looks pretty good. Perfect for being the target of rescue missions!

Thank you! I will include all of these once I test them. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot the DL for the castaway raft! Remember, if you want to sail it, control the raft from the back command seat (the one most visible in the picture I shared) and do not exceed 10 m/sEVER. If you do, the sail will break off, and the raft will look stupid. Also, be careful, it capsizes very easily (another, more practical reason to stay under 10m/s).

Here, take it. Volleyball companion not included.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.