Add link to image?

10 minutes ago, Sean Mirrsen said:

Hmm.

*tries several times*

Nope. Short of writing in pure HTML, it doesn't seem to work.

Since they did add the Imgur thing, couldn't they add that option?  It's really frustrating.

I figured out a little bodge.  Go onto another forum with BB codes and do what you would have done with vBulletin.  Hit preview and select the image and copy/paste it into where you need it.  Really annoying.

...how are people supposed to figure out these things? This is some kind of WYSIWYGPYCGITW editor. (what you see is what you get provided you can get it to work) <_<

Using [url=site.link][img]image.link[/img][/url] was so much easier and more intuitive...

Edited by Sean Mirrsen
Blasted tagging. Preview when?

Except that there were "How to embed link in image" threads on vBulletin too... it took me a while to figure it out. Whereas now, it always lets you know when you can mod+RMB and pull up an edit menu, which lets you do some awesome things.

Also, to me, this editor is more flexible. Ever tried writing a table in BBcode? It was a nightmare. Now its easy. You guys are used to BBcode, and this is different, and you have to learn it. For someone who didn't learn BBcode, this editor is a much better option.

23 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

For my sog, I simply used the old BBCode! Weird right?

Well, I can't actually write it, I'll try tho.

[ url ] whatever [ img ] whatever [ /img ] [ /url ]

Remove spaces where applicable

Go ahead and try that out with actual links in a forum post. I'll wait. :P
(Unless they already patched out the URL parser, which I doubt, what you suggest results in a mess. It's not possible to post either a [url=http://fake.link.com]link or an image - %7Boption%7Dhttp://fake.image.com/file.png because the URL parser takes over, transforms the links, and breaks the flimsy wet-cardboard construction that passes for a BBCode parser in IPS. Putting the two together has appropriately broken results. Unless you feel like typing the URL out manually as well, I suppose. Because apparently that's the only way to break the URL parser.)

20 minutes ago, Endersmens said:

Except that there were "How to embed link in image" threads on vBulletin too... it took me a while to figure it out. Whereas now, it always lets you know when you can mod+RMB and pull up an edit menu, which lets you do some awesome things.

Also, to me, this editor is more flexible. Ever tried writing a table in BBcode? It was a nightmare. Now its easy. You guys are used to BBcode, and this is different, and you have to learn it. For someone who didn't learn BBcode, this editor is a much better option.

Better option if you're making lots of posts with tables, maybe. <_<
And yes, I did try writing tables and lists in BBCode. For me the persistence of it made editing and making sure everything was in the right place a lot easier than you might be imagining, especially coupled with the post preview feature endemic to forum software actually supporting BBCode.

At the end of the day, it's the same argument as the one I have against MechJeb. It's software that is made to do things for me, when I don't want things done for me, especially if it means being limited by the capabilities of the software. You want your WYSIWYG editor? You can have it, but give us full BBCode support and post preview back. If Squad is concerned for the new wave of console users being confused by old-school BBCode forums, it doesn't mean they can trample over their old userbase to pamper to them. (Do note, that's an if. I'm not saying they are. Yet. <_< )

You can put old-style bbcode img + url blocks in in one go, you just have to use the submit button as a preview. Copy the post text before you do, that way when you go to edit you can wipe the post & replace it with your original text - then you can edit it as text rather than fight with the editor.

Out of habit I always select-all + copy before hitting submit in case there's a problem during posting & using the back button results in an empty box, which it can do.

Edited by Van Disaster

1 hour ago, mythbusters844 said:

Can we just have an option for a bbcode editor (which IPS supports by default but was disabled for no discernible reason at all)? Please?

That's a bit of a misunderstanding there. IPS does not have a BBCode editor, but its editor will parse most BBCode when entered and turn it into HTML and, importantly, the BBCode is lost once parsed. Editing a post will not show BBCode that can be edited like in the old vB software. See references here and here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.