[1.8.x] Precise Maneuver editor

Morse

Precise Maneuver

(a fork of the Precise Node)

Currently is looking for translators. See details.

PreciseManeuver1.png

If you were ever frustrated with the default maneuver UI, don't be! With this plugin you can edit your maneuvers precisely, and always get the desired result. In the current version of the plugin you can choose the tools you need from the wide assortment of modules, and customize it for yourself. Here is the list of available modules:

• Maneuver Pager, allows to switch between maneuvers, focus on the current maneuver and
    delete it. It works as a dropdown list and shows the maneuver's full deltaV and time:
    PreciseManeuver-NodePager.png
  • Maneuver Presets, allows to save and load the parameters of the maneuver. It also suggests
    the name for the preset based on the current position and the next encounter.
    PreciseManeuver-Saver.png
  • Precise Input, allows to change the current maneuver precisely by the use of "+" and "-" buttons.
    Also allows to move the maneuver to apoapsis, periapsis, etc.
    PreciseManeuver-Minimal.png
  • Orbit Tools, allows to turn the orbit in normal/antinormal direction for a precise angle,
    to circularize the orbit, and to copy/paste the maneuver. The copy/paste format is similar
    to the Transfer Window Planner, and the maneuver can be pasted from it.
  • Maneuver Gizmo, is the maneuver gizmo that looks very similar to the stock gizmo,
    and behaves in a similar way. The sensitivity of the gizmo is adjustable
    PreciseManeuver-Gizmo.png
  • Next Encounter, shows the next encounter, allows to focus on it and shows the
    distance to it in the closest point (PE)
  • Ejection angles, shows the ejection parameters in case the orbit escapes from
    the SOI of the celestial body
  • Orbit Info, shows the parameters of the planned orbit
  • Patches Control, allows to change the mode of Patched Conics draw, i.e. the
    trajectories of the vessel

PreciseManeuver-Full.png

Download: https://github.com/radistmorse/KSPPreciseManeuver/releases

Code: https://github.com/radistmorse/KSPPreciseManeuver

The mod is available through CKAN.

Update history:

Spoiler

19.10.2019, version 2.4.4:

• KSP 1.8
  • Some updates for newer unity engine.

12.10.2019, version 2.4.3:

• KSP 1.7
  • Small correction to maneuver select logic
  • Remove compatibility checker. It's more annoyance than help.

30.03.2019, version 2.4.2:

• KSP 1.6
  • German translation
  • Fixed menu button in scenarios
  • Better parameters for KAC

07.03.2018, version 2.4.1:

• KSP 1.4

12.06.2017, version 2.3.1:

• Spanish localization
  • Fix the incorrect scale behavior
  • Absolute values in orbit info fixed
  • +/- orbit buttons are now repeatable

04.06.2017, version 2.3.0:

• KSP 1.3.0
  • Localization support
  • Tooltips added
  • All text is replaced with TMPros

19.02.2017, version 2.2.5:

• Fix dropdown blocker which caused the UI block in some cases

03.02.2017, version 2.2.4:

• Reworked AN/DN calculation

30.01.2017, version 2.2.3:

• Maneuver copy format now is the same as in TWP
  • Several minor bugfixes

27.12.2016, version 2.2.2:

• Calculate the correct ej. angle when pasting from TWP

22.12.2016, version 2.2.1:

• KSP 1.2.2
  • Orbit tools redesigned (icons instead of text)
  • copy/paste for maneuvers (compatible with TWP)

29.09.2016, version 2.2-pre:

• Works with KSP 1.2
  • New +/- orbit buttons
  • New AP/PE buttons for gizmo
  • Axis input fields are now editable
  • Clickthrough prevention

14.07.2016, version 2.1:

• Removed the dead zone in gizmo tool
  • Adjusted the sensitivity of the gizmo, more precise now
  • Expanded "undo" to save more than one change
  • Changes from gui buttons and hotkeys now also undoable
  • Fixed KAC integration
  • Fixed the weird toolbar behavior in some cases
  • Eye candy for main window
  • Added the ability to put the main window into background
  • Honor the F2 (hide the UI) hotkey

06.05.2016, version 2.0:

Changes:

• KSP 1.1
  • New GUI based on the prefabs instead of deprecated IMGUI
  • New modular structure
  • New toolbar button
  • New tool: maneuver saver
  • New tool: maneuver gizmo

05.01.2016, version 1.1.1:

This is a point release that doesn't bring any new functionality. Changes:

• Check orbit parameters for sanity before use
  • Change GUID to unique one
  • Small GUI fixes

27.12.2015, version 1.1:

Changes

• New tools: circularize orbits and turn orbit up/down (previously known as "intuitive maneuver") are located inside the "Orbit" info panel.
  • Lots and lots of new hotkeys, unset by default. The hotkeys can be unset now.
  • Little tweaks of repeat timeouts, to increase responsiveness of GUI: rapid clicking should register better now.

Initial release

Changes against PreciseNode:

• The text fields are now read-only. Since the hotkeys are mapped to keypad by default, this prevents the situation when instead of adding a prograde you put a "8" in some text field by mistake.
  • The +/- buttons and hotkeys are now repeatable, i.e. if you press some button and keep it pressed, it will start increasing constantly after a short pause.
  • If you select the maneuver node (or create one), the main window will switch to it, so you won't accidentally change the wrong node.
  • Added integration to the Kerbal Alarm Clock plugin. With the press of the button, you can create an alarm 10 minutes prior the maneuver (or remove it). KAC plugin is optional, if it's not installed, the button will be disabled (like on screenshots).
  • All the windows except for the main one and keybindings were removed. All the info is now accessible through the main window.
  • The "intuitive maneuver" functionality was removed.

Licensed under 2-claused BSD.

Edited by Morse

2 hours ago, Morse said:
  • The +/- buttons and hotkeys are now repeatable, i.e. if you press some button and keep it pressed, it will start increasing constantly after a short pause.
  • If you select the maneuver node (or create one), the main window will switch to it, so you won't accidentally change the wrong node.
  •  
  • The "intuitive maneuver" functionality was removed.

Bless you and your descendants a thousand times for those first two fixes!

But... I really like the intuitive mode for editing normal/antinormal. Any way to keep that, or add it as an option? Make it a choice in a cfg file, maybe?

Hello, definetly gonna try this.

I hate stock node gizmos with all my heart and never play without precise node and hotkeys. 

Do you have hotkeys for +orbit -orbit ? Can be helpful when you trying to arrange intercept on Ascending|Descending node.

12 hours ago, White Owl said:

But... I really like the intuitive mode for editing normal/antinormal.

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Why did you remove the intuitive node function?

The reason is, I didn't find anything "intuitive" when you try to increase one value, and everything goes haywire. If you click "increase normal" and ends up with all three values being changed, to me it's totally non-intuitive.  BUT, I can see this function as a separate "turn orbit" control, which would have nothing to do with normal control. Perhaps, hidden inside the "orbit" info panel.

8 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Do you have hotkeys for +orbit -orbit ?

No. At least not yet. I didn't want to pollute the keyboard with (what I thought was) a rarely used functions. But I can add them and make them "unset" by default. Thinking about it, maybe the ability to "unset" the hotkey can be useful.

18 minutes ago, Mein_Gott said:

add "Circularize" button and I name my first child after you.

Well, that is not as much of a maneuver editing, as it is autopilot. I have nothing against autopilots, but this mod has a different job, sorry.

4 hours ago, Morse said:

that is not as much of a maneuver editing, as it is autopilot

quite the contrary: what i mean is not plugin performing the manouver, but merely adjusting pro/retrograde at manouver node set by player, so that apo=peri :)

14 minutes ago, Mein_Gott said:

quite the contrary: what i mean is not plugin performing the manouver, but merely adjusting pro/retrograde at manouver node set by player, so that apo=peri :)

To circularize orbit by using just the prograde/retrograde, the maneuver must be placed in periapsis/apoapsis. Otherwise, you'll need radial corrections as well. So there are a lot of ways to circularize your orbit: to move manuever to periapsis and retrograde, or to move to apoapsis and prograde, or to use both prograde/retrograde and radial, or some combination of the above. Without knowing what exactly do you want to get, the button "circularize" would be useless.

1 hour ago, Morse said:

To circularize orbit by using just the prograde/retrograde, the maneuver must be placed in periapsis/apoapsis. Otherwise, you'll need radial corrections as well. So there are a lot of ways to circularize your orbit: to move manuever to periapsis and retrograde, or to move to apoapsis and prograde, or to use both prograde/retrograde and radial, or some combination of the above. Without knowing what exactly do you want to get, the button "circularize" would be useless.

you just said it, so your plugin couild circularize at the altitude of the node,

if its near the Ap it will do mainly prograde,

near the Pe, mainly retrograde,

between them, a mix of prograde/radial to keep the altitude of the node as the altitude of the new orbit.

And i think too it's a good task for a node editor,

but I don't understand why you did'nt mixed your idea with precise node.

58 minutes ago, Skalou said:

And i think too it's a good task for a node editor,

And there I was, trying to keep it simple... But I guess some set of tools can be implemented in a semi-independent way... I'll think about it.

42 minutes ago, Skalou said:

but I don't understand why you did'nt mixed your idea with precise node.

The code of the PreciseNode is a mess. It was easier for me to rewrite it than to add even a small bit. And I did try to contact the developers, I wrote them on github and got no response. I have nothing against PreciseNode people taking anything they want from this version. It would be a challenge though, as the project got totally restructured.

Oh my...

precise node but with active development of much-needed features.

my loyalty is torn...

oh, and +1 for a circularise option.  Precise node has been crying out for that.  Have it cycle between "at apo" or "at peri".  I think that would satisfy most people's needs.

Edited by TMS

One suggestion (from a Precise Node) user.  In PN, you could set the time scale to increment by x10 so that when you clicked the 4/6 buttons on the numpad, it would increment units by 10 instead of 1.  While that seems like it would be enough, often x10 isn't enough and I'd prefer to increment time by x100.

So maybe your x10 button should have the option to be x100.

13 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

Does this have an ejection angle readout?

Yes it does. You just press the "Eject" button.

7 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

So maybe your x10 button should have the option to be x100.

Well, since all the buttons and hotkeys are now repeatable, you'll just need to press it and not let go to change the values quickly, so I think it's not going to be that much of an issue. I really don't want to introduce lots of unnecessary switches that will bloat the UI.

21 hours ago, Morse said:

Thank you, I confess I did not read the readme.  I don't think the xml is created until after first run, so it may be worth noting.

My comment about the KSP skin being ugly is no reflection on your excellent mod.

Are the orbit modes documented somewhere as well?  Or should I know about them already?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.