[1.8.x] Precise Maneuver editor

Morse

The button should only be present while in map view. So if you can't see the button in any other screen - that's an expected behavior. Otherwise, please provide the logs, maybe there is some problem with newer KSP.

I did some more investigation and here are my findings:

The button seems to be missing in toturial, scenario and mission modes. But in sandbox it works. Once sandbox was loaded once during the session, the button also appears in the other modes.

Here is the log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=143fn8iQ4BmzZhK6cH__DhSAwKrkwBoeq

Steps taken for the log:

• Uninstall KSP via Steam
  • Delete KSP install folder under SteamApps, delete Squad folder under localLow
  • Install KSP via Steam, install PreciseManeuver via ckan
  • Start KSP with 'Orbiting 101' tutorial -> no button
    • Go to map mode -> no button
  • Go to main menu and create sandbox game
    • Go to VHB, build command pod, launch -> button (Should be no button in stage mode. Happens only the first time)
    • Go to map mode -> button
    • Back to stage mode -> no button
    • map mode -> button
  • Go to main menu and load 'Orbiting 101' -> no button
    • map mode -> button
  • Alt-F4

Ok, I see now. The menu button initializes when KSC scene is loaded the first time. The tutorials do not load KSC, and so the plugin is simply not initialized. I think it should be changed to main menu. Main menu definitely initializes all the time :). As for the button being visible where it shouldn't be, well, that's a mystery. I'll add the investigation of this to the list of things I'll do when I get a new PC :)

But honestly, both problems seem minor enough to be postponed for a couple of weeks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I just updated from Precise Maneuver 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 (finger fumble the version number I was talking about when I first wrote this today)  (I really do me 2.4.1 and 2.4.2) , now I get issues where I can not create Maneuver nodes after a playing for a while.  Restart of KSP seems to fix the issue.       Any one else see something like this.   Happens again I'm going to roll back to 2.4.1 to see if the issues goes away.    Love the MOD!

Edited by Twidget_Gray

@Morse Thanks for getting back to this mod! very excited that it's still alive

I'm glad Squad is giving the stock node some TLC, but from the looks of it it still falls well short of the capabilities of your mod.

I agree with Tyko.  This mod has been a mainstay of my game for many, many Müns.  Years in fact.

Thanks for your ongoing support.  The best feature? Mapping keys to edit the manouver nodes and the circlurisation.

Peace.

3 hours ago, Morse said:

What do you mean "final"? It's not going anywhere yet.

And long it shall remain so! It has oodles of benefits over the new 1.7 stock node editor... and also has a nicer implementation in my opinion so it's not at all been supplanted for me.

At the very least let's see this new UI first :) A couple of minutes on youtube is definitely not enough to understand how it would feel. But I actually have some high hopes about this update. So many times I had to jump through hoops kludging around the limitation of KSP stock maneuver handling. I'm going to look at the new UI implementation, and maybe I'll simplify things on my side.

Also, I'm a little bit disappointed. Squad never even acknowledged the existence of this mod, and now copies it almost verbatim (did you notice that the axes in the gizmo are located in the same order as in PM? It may be a coincidence, but they used a different ordering in KSPedia. Why would they decided to change that?).

55 minutes ago, Morse said:

Why would they decided to change that?

Probably for the same reasons you have choosen this orientation?
Wild guess though: The prograde vector is one of the most important vector to edit so you want it to be in the most accessible position. Would have beed nice to mention your mod anyway.
I'm curious if the new stock node editor will support "intuitive mode" for inclination changes.

I'll keep using this mod anyway. I prefer to have all the informations I want in a single window, also creating a circularization maneuver or placing the node on AN/DN with a single click are still one of my favourite features ;)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I'll keep using this mod anyway. I prefer to have all the informations I want in a single window, also creating a circularization maneuver or placing the node on AN/DN with a single click are still one of my favourite features ;)

Agreed...plus keyboard shortcuts! Those alone make the mod so useful! Using the keyboard to tweak my maneuver is so simple and elegant...

On 3/30/2019 at 11:19 PM, Twidget_Gray said:

Hey I just updated from Precise Maneuver 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 (finger fumble the version number I was talking about when I first wrote this today)  (I really do me 2.4.1 and 2.4.2) , now I get issues where I can not create Maneuver nodes after a playing for a while.  Restart of KSP seems to fix the issue.       Any one else see something like this.   Happens again I'm going to roll back to 2.4.1 to see if the issues goes away.    Love the MOD!

I have same problem since I can't remember when. It can start after 15 minutes or after several hours. But it will happen anyway. I can't click on orbit, focus on any planet and can't see any marker params like altitude and speed. Game relaunch helps.

My install is heavy-modded but I don't think it's the case. It happened when I used just KER, BetterBurntime and Landing Height Display - nothing special. I can't find any pattern which will lead to this bug.

The only thing that can be related is 'time warp orbital drift'. Sometimes when i play orbits start to behave strange. They move slightly after time warp. Orbital Drift Compensation is enabled. AFAIK it's an old ksp bug. So, I noticed that if orbits go nuts - then Percise Maneuver almost 100% will hang orbital view interface sooner or later.

Edited by SuppaTenko

Well, I looked into the new maneuver tool, and it is my opinion that it is utter excrements. The maneuver gets deselected as soon as gizmo disappears, which means on any (mis)click, the gizmo has no feedback, the icons always remain in one place. And it also seems that the amount of change is always constant, regardless of distance you drag the mouse. Which means that the tool is impossible to use for fine tuning. Which basically means it's useless. Looks neat though, but useless.

The mod is working fine with 1.7, but the "official" release will be a bit later. I'll look into the code of this new tool and see if I can use some of it to simplify my logic.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:10 AM, Morse said:

Well, I looked into the new maneuver tool, and it is my opinion that it is utter excrements. The maneuver gets deselected as soon as gizmo disappears, which means on any (mis)click, the gizmo has no feedback, the icons always remain in one place. And it also seems that the amount of change is always constant, regardless of distance you drag the mouse. Which means that the tool is impossible to use for fine tuning. Which basically means it's useless. Looks neat though, but useless.

The mod is working fine with 1.7, but the "official" release will be a bit later. I'll look into the code of this new tool and see if I can use some of it to simplify my logic.

Ditto. I found 1.7 fun at first but now I regret not waiting for this mod to update first. It was nice being able to circularize your orbit in a dime but Squad seems to prefer making players waste time getting a circular orbit. Really hope this mod doesn't become obsolete even though the first flag I planted in the update stated that I can't wait for every mod to go obsolete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 2:24 AM, Shizen said:

@Morse Can we get a recompile for 1.7 when you have some free time, puhleeease. Mostly because it causes an irremovable wrong version prompt in the middle of my screen.

If that's your only problem, try editing the PreciseManeuver.version file and changing the version info from 1.6.x to 1.7.x

Edit: Gave it a try and no, it's the compabilitychecker.cs in PreciseManeuver.dll that needs to be patched. I tried recompiling with visual studio but I couldn't get it working. 

Hopefully our boy comes back to bless us. 

Edited by pejmany

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.