[1.8.x] Precise Maneuver editor

Morse

First pre-release for 1.1 is ready. The new GUI system should be much more robust and efficient, but is the absolute pain in the S to develop. Now the plugin has it's own toolbar button! Yay! Right now only the pager and a manual input modules are ready, but the rest will follow. Probably soon. The biggest changes should be already made.

See the first post for details.

With KER this is my favorite flavour mod.  Thank you for the time (and pain?) for bringing the update to us :)

Peace.

Edit - not sure why this isn't working - there is definitely a toolbar icon but no GUI popping up when manouver nodes are created.  The toolbar icon doesn't seem to do anything either.

Edited by theJesuit
Feedback

No need. I checked it already. Looks like "prefabs" is popular name for a file containing prefabs, and unity don't want to load two files with the same name. I updated the version on github, this one should work.

Edited by Morse

I'm unsure if what I'm asking is already in the 1.0.5 version. I've only used the 1.1 version.

As a long time user of Precise Node, one of the things I really loved about it was the ability to set a node with one hand on the keypad. That only worked because the default way the increment change button (Keypad0 on Precise Node and KeypadPeriod on Precise Maneuver) was to decrease the increment and not increase the increment.

For instance, let's say you're trying to create a node that will end up at 243.76 normal. You don't know that number going in. So you start with the 100 increment. You add normal until the AN/DN nodes flip which would be at 300. You hit the increment key to go down to the 10 increment and now you remove normal until the nodes flip again, this time at 240. You continue back and forth, always decreasing the increment until you hone in on the correct burn.

In Precise Maneuver, this now takes 2 hands as you need to use the Mod/Alt key to get the increment to decrease. Maybe a flag that can be set to change the direction of the increment key (and obviously reverse the Mod/Alt version as well)?

Love the rewrite so far. Keep up the good work!

Well, I'd rather not introduce additional flags. Lots of switches would be confusing. As for the increment, the direction was picked kinda at random. Now that you said it, I also think that going from high increment to low is more logical than vise versa: you start with coarse and go finer and finer. So I think I'll just do that: change the default to decrease and +alt to increase.

Also, right alt should also work, so unless you have really small hands, one hand should suffice :)

Hi Morse,

Trying out your mod here. Using 1.1 pre-release. Pretty nice. I do have some suggestions:

1. It'd be nice to manually enter numbers in the text fields.

2. It would be nice if there was an increment for time that was +1 orbit and +10 orbit. Right now I'm planning a return maneuver from Duna and the transfer window is horrible. Trouble is, I don't have any way to increment the time except for +1000 with the +10 option on. It's woefully inadequate. I'd have to sit here pressing the button for a half hour or something. It'd be nice if I could increment a bit faster in this case. (EDIT: oh my god, I have been trying to advance the time on the node by using the mod interface and the default interface and I want to set my head on fire. It barely moves the needle. I think something like +1 day, +10 days, +100 days would be a nice option for this).

Edited by Zenji

The text fields are uneditable for a reason. There is no way to separate hotkeys from the input, and since the hotkeys are on keypad, it will only make the things worse. You will accidentally enter the numbers into the textfields instead of hotkeys and vise versa. This actually was the prime reason why I decided to change the PreciseNode mod. You can use the new preset tool to save the values for some often-used maneuvers and load them in two clicks.

As for +1 day, it's not that great idea actually. KSP only plans ahead one period for closed orbits, so while it's technically possible to set node's UT to any time into the future, it's not really advisable to move it more than one period, and can cause all sorts of weird behavior.

You should use KAC or some other similar mod to warp to the transfer window time.

I don't mind not being able to enter numbers.  A little more clicking is not a worry.

I have got an issue though.  I tried mapping the * key on the numpad to circularise but it doesn't seem to work.  It saved the keymap but won't work the node.  Is that feature not yet reimplamented or is it a bug?

Peace.

46 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

I don't mind not being able to enter numbers.  A little more clicking is not a worry.

I have got an issue though.  I tried mapping the * key on the numpad to circularise but it doesn't seem to work.  It saved the keymap but won't work the node.  Is that feature not yet reimplamented or is it a bug?

Peace.

No, it should work in the latest version. At least it works at my side. Does it show a message "Can't change the orbit, parameters are invalid" when you press the hotkey? That would mean that KSP freaked out, and you need to reload the save.

4 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

This is cool! :) But is it possible to enable Unity skin?

There is no such thing as "unity skin" in the new gui system. You either use the default (which is KSP) or bring your own. And the one that comes with unity editor is not the best looking one.

Why? Is there some particular thing you don't like how it looks? I tried to keep the proportions as close to the previous unity defaults as possible. The window is only some 10 px larger.

3 hours ago, Morse said:

Why? Is there some particular thing you don't like how it looks? I tried to keep the proportions as close to the previous unity defaults as possible. The window is only some 10 px larger.

Well, I used PreciseNode previously and get used to it's darkish look :) Another thing, half-transparent GUI is usefull to keep in visual contact on the map. It's important sometimes.

Anyway, the only thing PreciseManeuver missed is an Pe of desired planet indication in case, when maneuver leads to another body's SOI...

Edited by ZobrAA

51 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Well, I used PreciseNode previously and get used to it's darkish look :)

Well, that's how you know it's a different mod :) I'm actually somewhat afraid if people start confusing the two. It wasn't my intention to hijack the idea, just make a different version.

55 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Anyway, the only thing PreciseManeuver missed is an Pe of desired planet indication in case, when maneuver leads to another body's SOI...

Well, there is some space left in the "next encounter" panel :) I'll see how it'll look.

14 hours ago, Morse said:

KSP only plans ahead one period for closed orbits, so while it's technically possible to set node's UT to any time into the future, it's not really advisable to move it more than one period, and can cause all sorts of weird behavior.

Interesting. This is something I did not know, and would explain a lot of very strange behavior I see sometimes with some nodes.

Edited by Zenji

Hey Morse, what do you think about an equatorial AN/DN orientation button? It would be nice, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I'd define the burn to get to zero inclination. Maybe an option for that next to "circularize"?

11 hours ago, Zenji said:

Hey Morse, what do you think about an equatorial AN/DN orientation button? It would be nice, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure how I'd define the burn to get to zero inclination. Maybe an option for that next to "circularize"?

Not likely. There are many ways to make an orbit co-planar. Should it turn the orbit? Or should it try to do it with minimum dv? Or should it use normal only? Should it implement all three options (and possibly some others) and guess the best? Too many options. It's not as "turn orbit" or "circularize" which in every case has a single and determined result.

Today's PreciseManeuver is not playing well with today's 1.1 Prerelease. The problem seems to be caused by the mod; it consistently happens when it's the only mod installed, and consistently does not happen when no mods are installed. It manifested in a fully unlocked career mode game and also a fresh sandbox game. The problem:

I set up a simple ship with a pod, tank, engine, and parachute. There are two stages. I take the ship to the launchpad. I see the staging light is blinking green. I hit M to switch to the orbital map. The staging light turns red as the GUI disappears to the left and the orbital map appears. I hit M again to switch back to the vehicle view. The staging light stays red. I am unable to unlock the staging with ALT+L. When I try to advance the staging with spacebar, nothing happens. It's permanently locked.

The behavior when I hit M a second time without the mod installed is that the GUI appears again, the light is still red, and then the light turns to flashing green again. The staging state has been properly restored, and the ship can be launched.

5 hours ago, Zenji said:

I am unable to unlock the staging with ALT+L. When I try to advance the staging with spacebar, nothing happens. It's permanently locked.

Ah, that confirms for me that this is the mod that's doing it.  (I haven't taken the time to properly bisect yet).

Are you having any issues with maneuver nodes randomly disappearing as well?  (To the point where the node is 100% gone before you can even use it)

1 hour ago, dewin said:

Are you having any issues with maneuver nodes randomly disappearing as well?  (To the point where the node is 100% gone before you can even use it)

Confirm, that happens sometimes...

Hi

I just tested Precise node 2.0-pre with KSP 1.1. I noticed an exeption in the log while debugging my own plugin.

[EXC 12:08:08.954] MethodAccessException: Method `KSP.UI.UIRadioButton:get_Button ()' is inaccessible from method `KSPPreciseManeuver.PreciseManeuverToolbar:Disable ()'

KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.SetHidden (KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton button)
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.DetermineVisibility (KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton button)
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.set_VisibleInScenes (AppScenes value)
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.AddModApplication (.Callback onTrue, .Callback onFalse, .Callback onHover, .Callback onHoverOut, .Callback onEnable, .Callback onDisable, AppScenes visibleInScenes, UnityEngine.Texture texture)
    KSPPreciseManeuver.PreciseManeuverToolbar.OnGUIApplicationLauncherReady ()
    EventVoid.Fire ()
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.StartupSequence ()
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.OnSceneLoadedGUIReady (GameScenes scene)
    EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
    HighLogic+<FireLoadedEventGUIReady>c__Iterator51.MoveNext ()

@Morse If you need more info, just ask. I've included my log file below. If you think it might be related to other mods I'm running, just say so. I will run some test on that if you think it's needed, but I don't think they are related.

Log file

MOD List:

• CommunityResourcePack
  • FTLDrive (I've patched this myself)
  • InterstellarFuelSwitch
  • PreciseManeuver
  • Engine Switcher (my own mod)

Yes, I know this. It's the new update of KSP that broke everything (well, it's a prerelease...). New version is coming.

5 hours ago, OldLost said:

Any chance of this showing up on CKAN?

I think yes, the time has come. After the KSP 1.1 release and a bit of testing I'll go for CKAN.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.