what will be the first flag planted on mars be?

basbr

NASA's budget is decreasing every year and china, India, ESA, Russia and japan are making strides in the exploration of space,

so there is a chance that the first flag planted on mars might not be the stars and stripes of the USA. who do you think will be the first nation/organization to land a man/woman on a different planet?

and will they even plant a flag or is that waist of space and weight to carry all the way to mars?

anyway i would like the hear what everybody thinks.

It's not going to be a flag...

...it's going to be a baguette.

More  seriously, I think we're talking decades, so predictions are premature to the point where the flag might be of the Holy Empire of Luxembourg, or Unitet Soviet Republic of Canada & Texas (no real USR can stand not having an odd oblast in a random spot on the map). Currently there's very little real motivation for sending manned missions wherever (even the prestige/might thing got worn down, and science generally works better with robots, lots of robots), so the main driver are theoretical enormous drops in space access and travel time (on the level of sudden development of fusion engines, presumably by Luxembourg).

Having said that, of course it's going to be Russian. It's the red planet, after all.

2 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

I like to think it'll either be SpaceX or the stars and stripes. Not sure how far the former will go in the long run, but I think they have a better chance than NASA does right now.

Boeing has their own astronauts, so I could see how they'd be putting up a Boeing flat. But SpaceX is a contractor who delivers the vehicle but nothing else. If NASA bankrolls the operation, I bet that NASA's astronauts will be carrying an American flag, not the flag of “some contractor” with them.

If, on the other hand, SpaceX has a privately funded and self-managed mission to Mars... now that would be cool! Unlikely, but cool.

24 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

If, on the other hand, SpaceX has a privately funded and self-managed mission to Mars... now that would be cool! Unlikely, but cool.

That's because you didn't think it through. A private, self-managed mission to Mars would be more terrifying than cool. Musk already has shown disdain towards concepts such as "labor rights" and "planetary protection". I'm going to be watching the F9 landing attempt because tech is cool, but there are places I prefer democratically elected governments. Managing a planet is definitely one of those places.

2 hours ago, ModZero said:

Having said that, of course it's going to be Russian. It's the red planet, after all.

Russians aren't as red as they used to be. By this logic, it will be Chinese. That's also a somewhat more plausible possibility.

M$

It will be a japanese contract droid built for microsoft sent to mars on a cubesat with a cannae drive solar panel and using a giant inflatable air bag to land. The goal of the mission is to establish the first wifi hub on mars. 

Edited by PB666

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

M$

It will be a japanese contract droid built for microsoft sent to mars on a cubesat with a cannae drive solar panel and using a giant inflatable air bag to land. The goal of the mission is to establish the first wifi hub on mars. 

Google is more likely to do something like that.

Well, the Cold War is long gone, so I don't see the point of bringing any national flag. I only hope that whoever lands on Mars first will bring a flag that represents humanity and the World as a whole.

7 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

SpaceX flag. Perhaps the American flag but it will be SpaceX planting it. No other organization has the willpower to do it.

SpaceX has an American flag on its rockets. Up until now, commercial rockets have been sticking to maritime tradition by carrying the flag of their country of registration.

Oh, and SpaceX isn't going anywhere without somebody paying for the trip. Even if SpaceX gets to Mars, it will probably be a chartered flight by NASA or an international mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.