[1.9.x] Launch Towers Pack

sciencepanda

On 3/9/2017 at 3:00 AM, Puggonaut said:

Any news on the Saturn Tower set ?

Progress.... I finished the modeling and the animations, but the textures are a different story. The Saturn V towers are by far the most complex models I've ever made, so the textures are far beyond my capabilities. I've sent the textures to a friend so now we just wait. I'll continue working on other towers while I wait. I haven't finished much for the Saturn 1b, as there aren't many pictures to use as reference. I'll probably just do the "milk-stool" and call it done.

5 hours ago, sciencepanda said:

Progress.... I finished the modeling and the animations, but the textures are a different story. The Saturn V towers are by far the most complex models I've ever made, so the textures are far beyond my capabilities. I've sent the textures to a friend so now we just wait. I'll continue working on other towers while I wait. I haven't finished much for the Saturn 1b, as there aren't many pictures to use as reference. I'll probably just do the "milk-stool" and call it done.

Thanks for the reply and update , will wait with baited breath for the chance to download this when its ready ^_^

4 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Thanks for the reply and update , will wait with baited breath for the chance to download this when its ready ^_^

I wouldn't hold your breath, I expect it to be a while. They will come out eventually, but I expect the textures themselves to take a while, and lately real life (mostly calculus homework and exams) tends to get in the way.... But like I said, they'll be out eventually. In the meantime, let's see what other cool ideas I can think of!!! :cool:

On 05/03/2017 at 4:46 AM, Jaeleth said:

There are plenty of movies around explaining this. But, to put it simple, build a rocket where the sum of delta v's from all stages is equal or greater than 3400m/s, ok, make it 3600, for starters. Then launch, at a about 1.5km or 130m/s start your gravity turn (turn very slightly towards east, that is, heading 090 on your navball) (do not overturn and do not gain too much velocity too early), press M, fly from there, make sure the parabola of your trajectory is not too steep neither too shallow, check your Ap, wait till it reaches 75km (safer) set rocket to prograde, shut down engines and hands off keyboard until altitude above 70km. From now on, put your rocket level with the horizon and ignite engines once more. Keep controlling thrust /pitch in a way that Ap is inching ahead of you and not increasing much... Watch for Pe coming at the other side of the planet, when Pe > 70km... you're in orbit.

On 25/12/2015 at 9:25 AM, sciencepanda said:

Did someone order a Falcon 9 1.0 launch tower?

v0NeFb1.png

W0W

• 1 month later...

Update 1.5.2  Is Live

I finally got around to fixing small errors in the scaling of the towers. The claws now fit around the rockets at the accurate height.

ukorpEO.png

yH6lknn.png

I also decided to have some fun with custom fairing textures.

Download the update here: https://spacedock.info/mod/626/SpaceX Launch Towers

Rockets are from Kartoffelkuchen's Launchers Pack: 

42 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

what diameter are these clamps built for?

They are specially for the Real Scale Falcons from Kartoffelkuchen. You can adjust them with the rescaleFactor in the .cfg for every diameter.

@sciencepanda

Is the Saturn-Launchpad in developement furthermore or is it cancelled?

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Not cancelled, just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to have time. College takes up a lot of time. Luckily my last final is tomorrow so I should be able to get working on that again soon. I'll post updates when there are updates to post.

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

They are specially for the Real Scale Falcons from Kartoffelkuchen. You can adjust them with the rescaleFactor in the .cfg for every diameter.

@sciencepanda

Ok, so in order to adjust them from the real falcon's 3.7 meter diameter to fit a 2.5 meter diameter I'd set rescale factor to .676, right?

ok, the Tweakscale config posted above helped, although either my Falcon 9 is too tall or the tower is now too short.  The LC40 one I tried only comes up to the top of the first stage.

This is still way better then the stock clamps though.

Edit: when rescaled to 70%, the Pad 39A one fits perfectly.

Unfortunately, the animation doesn't seem to work, the tower disappears immediately on staging.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, JakGamingKSP said:

When continuing Saturn launch towers and ITS launch tower

Saturn towers are in the works. Most of the work is done except textures. The models are very complex, which means the textures will take time to do properly, and more texturing skill than  I have. That's why I've handed off the work to a friend of mine, so for now I'm just waiting for him to have time to actually do the textures (sadly real life takes priority). Yes I could spend five minutes and throw something together, but I refuse to release anything that you can tell was thrown together in five minutes.

The ITS tower is a much shorter answer: not any time soon. The tower in the release animation is really just an artistic concept and is most likely nowhere close to what they'd actually use. I will not be making a mod from the tower in the animation, as that would mean putting work into replicating a glorified stick. Not worth my time. Trying to guess what the real thing would look like would be exactly that, a guess. And the real thing would be many years down the road. So unless SpaceX releases a new animation with a more realistic tower, I will not be making that tower any time soon.

That being said, I have put thought into doing the launch mount itself (minus the tower part as previously explained). 

Additionally, I have recently come across some very detailed, up close photographs of the pad at 39A for F9 and FH, so I may put some serious effort into remodeling that pad. We'll see if I can find the time (again, real life takes priority).

2 hours ago, sciencepanda said:

Saturn towers are in the works. Most of the work is done except textures. The models are very complex, which means the textures will take time to do properly, and more texturing skill than  I have. That's why I've handed off the work to a friend of mine, so for now I'm just waiting for him to have time to actually do the textures (sadly real life takes priority). Yes I could spend five minutes and throw something together, but I refuse to release anything that you can tell was thrown together in five minutes.

The ITS tower is a much shorter answer: not any time soon. The tower in the release animation is really just an artistic concept and is most likely nowhere close to what they'd actually use. I will not be making a mod from the tower in the animation, as that would mean putting work into replicating a glorified stick. Not worth my time. Trying to guess what the real thing would look like would be exactly that, a guess. And the real thing would be many years down the road. So unless SpaceX releases a new animation with a more realistic tower, I will not be making that tower any time soon.

That being said, I have put thought into doing the launch mount itself (minus the tower part as previously explained). 

Additionally, I have recently come across some very detailed, up close photographs of the pad at 39A for F9 and FH, so I may put some serious effort into remodeling that pad. We'll see if I can find the time (again, real life takes priority).

Ok Thx oh and can you do like Atlas (A to I) launch tower (Goodluck for Saturn launch towers)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 11:21 AM, kerbinorbiter said:

im wayyyy to hyped for these 

@sciencepanda whats the estimated ETA until we get the Vandenburg tower?

My plan was to release Vandy when I release Apollo, but as expected the textures for Apollo seem to be taking longer than the Apollo program itself..... my current thinking is to re-export all my mods through unity 5.4.0 (I've been using 4.2.2 this whole time) and add Vandy then. So that should be soon. I'm currently messing around with another mod (personal project, won't publish, but I'll share pics upon request), so I'll publish Vandy soon after that. Hopefully before I return to college, so that means sometime in the next 3 weeks.

Update:

Version 1.5.3 is live with some remodeling and the addition of Vandenburg: https://spacedock.info/mod/626/SpaceX Launch Towers

Apollo towers coming..... eventually..... hopefully before we have a colony on Mars....

Edited by sciencepanda

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/17/2017 at 4:33 AM, Puggonaut said:

Maybe i'm having a brain fart , but when i launch the Falcon Heavy , there is no tower animation (KSP ver 1.3) as in it doesn't lean over ? as the rocket decouples an leave the pad .

Hmmm... odd. I’ll check it out. Plenty of things I could’ve messed up to cause that.

Edit:

Found the problem! Just a typo in the cfg. Here's a patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zksvjizz5jxhyjt/part.cfg?dl=0

Edited by sciencepanda

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.