[1.9.x] Launch Towers Pack

sciencepanda

41 minutes ago, Kerbiter said:

I would like the F9 v1.0 launch tower, please. I see a while back you made one, I would like that one please, with some touching up.

I Totally forgot about that!!!! Thank you so much for the reminder. I'll get working on that soon.

On 2016/7/7 at 7:35 AM, sciencepanda said:

Did someone order a 1.0 Launch Tower?

XaKc9ju.png

Where can I get it??????????????????????????????

If the launch base is tweakable,that would be amazing.

Edited by QiJian

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, vacation and real life happened...

Anyway, the update with the 1.0 tower is now live: http://spacedock.info/mod/626/SpaceX%20Launch%20Towers

Have fun!

In addition, I wanted to ask for your opinion. I originally started this mod to include the launch pads for SpaceX rockets, but how would you guys feel about expanding this mod pack to include ULA towers too? I'd start with a tower for Kart's Atlas V. I'd change the name from SpaceX Launch Towers to Launch Towers Pack. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@sciencepanda So when can we expect full Saturn V-style towers?... I'm sure BDB's latest Apollo project would complement them nicely :)

I like the sound of that.... only problem is there are so many different Saturn V mods it's hard to pick one. I like to use mods that are full scale, like Kart's mods. I'll start working on something... that way I can try out different Saturn mods to see which one fits the proper dimensions.

Here's some progress on Saturn V

jeqUiqS.jpg

Main Tower and pad are done. Working on adding all the swing arms, then the tail service mounts and hold down points.

Next I'll work on a pad for Saturn 1b, and then lastly the "milkstool" for the Saturn 1b.

Edited by sciencepanda

On 7/29/2016 at 11:39 PM, sciencepanda said:

I like the sound of that.... only problem is there are so many different Saturn V mods it's hard to pick one. I like to use mods that are full scale, like Kart's mods. I'll start working on something... that way I can try out different Saturn mods to see which one fits the proper dimensions.

How about FASA'S Saturn V?

On 7/29/2016 at 11:39 AM, sciencepanda said:

I was mainly just kidding... Sometimes I try to be humorous, and I fail miserably... :P

10 hours ago, sciencepanda said:

Here's some progress on Saturn V

OMG!!.... Wow... Thats awesome!... AND that was QUICK!.... :)

51 minutes ago, sciencepanda said:

I love the FASA mod, but unfortunately it's the wrong scale. It's KSP scale instead of real scale.... All my other mods are real scale.

Oh okay but totally digging that tower of yours but I thought FASA could be rescaled from RSS. But nvm.

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I was mainly just kidding... Sometimes I try to be humorous, and I fail miserably... :P

I've always loved the Saturn V, and I've always wanted to make a tower for, but I could never find accurate drawings.... until now. I found a site with some of the original engineering drawings, meaning clear documents with the exact dimensions.  It's awesome.

4 hours ago, Seth Kerman said:

Oh okay but totally digging that tower of yours but I thought FASA could be rescaled from RSS. But nvm.

I can look at it and see if that'll work. I don't use RSS. When I say "real scale" I don't mean RSS. What I mean is that most mods for KSP are around 65% of their actual size, where as I prefer them to be their actual size, like in Kart's launchers pack. I'll see if the RSS recale is the right size. If so, I'll include a module manager config to rescale it.

4 hours ago, BananaIsAFruit said:

Do you think you will ever make the strongback able to fully retract and extend so you can use it like the real Falcon 9 and go from horizontal to vertical? 

I'd love to, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Animations will move the part itself, and it's collides, but not the attachment nodes or anything attached to it. I learned that while trying to make an animated docking port like the APAS system on the shuttle, or the NDS on the upcoming Dragon V2 or CST-100.

2 minutes ago, sciencepanda said:

I'd love to, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Animations will move the part itself, and it's collides, but not the attachment nodes or anything attached to it. I learned that while trying to make an animated docking port like the APAS system on the shuttle, or the NDS on the upcoming Dragon V2 or CST-100.

Thanks anyway. Love this mod :) 

On 8/1/2016 at 0:54 AM, sciencepanda said:

Here's an update on the model. Today I was mostly adding details and fighting with my modeling software.

Well, if you'd like, @NecroBones has a Saturn V in his RSB pack which I think is scaled down to 6.25m in the stockalike patches, and that's the scale that BDB's Saturn V will be at. No offence to anyone that uses it but FASA is sort of outdated, and it's scale is... questionable. I think you should calculate it based on a 6.25m S-Ic/S-II. :)

7 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Well, if you'd like, @NecroBones has a Saturn V in his RSB pack which I think is scaled down to 6.25m in the stockalike patches, and that's the scale that BDB's Saturn V will be at. No offence to anyone that uses it but FASA is sort of outdated, and it's scale is... questionable. I think you should calculate it based on a 6.25m S-Ic/S-II. :)

Pretty close, the RSB one starts at the full 10.1m diameter, but the optional stockification patches give it a multiplier of "0.5681818", which brings the first stage to a diameter of 5.7386m. This is so that the third stage, the S-IVB, comes to a nice stock diameter of 3.75m (normally 6.6m at full scale).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.