It's a good idea but it can't be too op. I think this is not how a crash should go:

[Jeb] hey I'm losing control mission control

[gene] well try gaining control

[jeb] I can't I've lost a wing and I have no onboard parachutes

[if Eva parachutes get added] BAILOUT and he's safe

[if they dont] jeb tries to regain control and regains it.

Yeah but even for gameplay that panic moment when you're trying to decide if you can pull out or need to eject could make for a ton of fun. You'd just want the chutes to behave in a way that you needed sufficient time for them to deploy and slow down. You still lose the plane/rocket after all.

I would actually really love the Kerbals to have upgradable EVA suits, maybe depending on the Astronaut Complex's level.  We already have the player require upgrading it to do any EVA's at all, I wonder if that could be made more granular.  Presumably they could do EVAs at level zero as long as they are on Kerbin, but need to be at least level 1 to do it anywhere else.  Then maybe add lights, the jetpack, and a parachute as the complex levels up?  

On 12/22/2015 at 7:14 PM, swjr-swis said:

I have seen that mod, but the problem I have with it is that you have to grab your parachute once you are outside of your craft. Not very helpful in atmosphere when you will almost certainly be blown off your plane the moment you get out of it. And It would be nice to have control of the parachute like real modern parachutes.

Edited by Mrninjabobdude

15 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

I would actually really love the Kerbals to have upgradable EVA suits, maybe depending on the Astronaut Complex's level.  We already have the player require upgrading it to do any EVA's at all, I wonder if that could be made more granular.  Presumably they could do EVAs at level zero as long as they are on Kerbin, but need to be at least level 1 to do it anywhere else.  Then maybe add lights, the jetpack, and a parachute as the complex levels up?  

I like that. And maybe, to save weight and money, you could customize the suit with only what you need. If you had a specifically low altitude aircraft, you wouldn't even need the actual space suit, maybe just a parachute. "I don't think a spacesuit was entirely necessary to get here, was it?" -eva report from Kerbin planet surface.

16 hours ago, 322997am said:

It's a good idea but it can't be too op. I think this is not how a crash should go:

[Jeb] hey I'm losing control mission control

[gene] well try gaining control

[jeb] I can't I've lost a wing and I have no onboard parachutes

[if Eva parachutes get added] BAILOUT and he's safe

[if they dont] jeb tries to regain control and regains it.

I wouldn't think it would be to overpowered as long as the physics are kept realistic. Parachutes would really only be useful if used at enough of an altitude, while crashing on the runway or too close to the ground dooms all the kerbals.

9 hours ago, Mrninjabobdude said:

the problem I have with it is that you have to grab your parachute once you are outside of your craft.

Right in the first post of that thread, in blue text:

There's now a little plugin that adds parachutes to any Kerbal without requiring parachute boxes -> *click me* (Doesn't replace anything, so you can just add/remove it whenever you want... but of course you have to install this mod first

On 12/22/2015 at 2:59 PM, Pthigrivi said:

Id actually love this.  Might finally wean me off the revert button. 

I know last version I ran hardcore, no revert, no quicksaves, just vanguard EVA chutes.

I lost 2 Kerbals due to failures, 1 was because he ejected at mach 3, and well..... it is REALLY hard to keep with in 5km range of another Kerbal when that happens, so he was a loss.  The second was due to a damaged craft attempting to land.... the landing was going find till the wing snapped off and then the craft tumbled end over end down to the runway.   Took a while to gather up all the debri.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of a useless SAS button on the EVA navball, you could replace it with ECD button, Emergency Chute Deploy. because seriously, it's surprising that the KSC hasn't been sued over Ejection deaths...

Edited by Andem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.