What do you think of the new forums?

Dfthu

I HATE these new forums. First of all, they seem generic and boring, having a total of three colors, White,Grey, and Navy blue. The old forums were colorful and made each thread seem kind and unique, but this makes the entire forum look like overused Facebook/Wikia trash.

Sorry, just had to vent, I guess I will get used to them eventually...

After some careful consideration regarding the Forum, the only thing I can really think to say is "meh."

I personally find the new Forum a bit harder on the eyes than the previous one, for one thing. A big part of my time here is spent looking at text. For some reason, I found that reading things on the old Forum was much easier than reading things here. I'm not entirely sure why - contrast, maybe? - but I feel as if this should be improved when possible.

I like the system that alerts you to new posts (though I think the sound should probably be removed). There was at least one time I created a post on vBulletin, refreshed the page to see if anyone else had posted, and lost a good chunk of it by forgetting to copy it beforehand. (I don't know if there's a "restore saved post" option here, but I certainly hope so. Maybe I shouldn't pass judgement on that just yet.)

I'm sure there's a way to embed YouTube videos, but I haven't found it yet. There may also be a way to embed Sketchfab models, coubs, and the other things one could embed on the old Forum... but somehow I slightly doubt it. Given, I used the Coub-embedding feature exactly twice and haven't even downloaded the Sketchfab program... but I know there's people out there who have used both more than I have.

There's been a bit of unhappiness about the "Like this" button, but personally I... well... like it. It's much, much clearer than the Reputation button on the old Forum, for one thing: gone are the days when new arrivals have to ask how to give Reputation. I wish the button didn't show the world who "liked" the post, though I honestly don't mind much; I often said that I was giving out Reputation in my posts before this upgrade. The term "like this" does hearken to Facebook, but again, you could easily argue that it's more intuitive for the newbies than the whole "give Reputation" system.

I'm sure there'll be more things that come to mind as time passes, but these are my thoughts for now. The new Forum has its ups and downs, but I think I'll certainly be able to live with it. I do wonder why the KSP team decided to upgrade, though: I would have thought that the new and improved Forum would have had a distinct advantage over the old one, but I can't really see it at the moment...

-Upsilon

3 hours ago, BigNose said:

The old forum had a much more 'homey' feeling, right now it feels sterile like a hospital.

The fact that "friends" are now "followers" really says everything.

Hate, hate, hate the move to a WYSIWYG editor also.

Bleh. I really do not want to use the forums anymore.

Just... Why was Vbulletin scrapped? I know so little about forum software, what are the differences / disadvantages?

Edited by Beale

I don't see how this forum is better or even necessary. I will wait around for a little while to see how it goes, but, honestly, the way it stands now, this forum is useless. Google searches are broken. If I search for "KSP KER", I get the link I want on the first hit, but it leads to a blank page. Sure, I can still see the cached version, but that doesn't tell me anything new. On top of that, modders just basically lost a shit ton of work, sounds familiar. Been through it once, it sucked then and I don't see any reason why it won't suck again. And all the old posts look terrible with all the exposed bbc code. Seriously, this feels an awful lot like losing a beloved pet, a pet you loved for several years, that just got run over in the street by a speeding car.

Okay a few positive observations. The new "conversations" feature is a huge plus, much better than the old PM system. The notifications tab is more useful now, what with message quoting detection. The search tool is MUCH MUCH better. Hopefully the list will grow. :)

I don't like this new setup because it looks like it was designed for a mobile/tablet device, and I usually rather browse the pc versions of forums even when I'm on my phone.

Other than that personal opinion, It seems to me that this new forum is a little less intuitive.

For example, I'd like to use tables, and I still haven't figured out how to do it.

Following interesting threads was also really easy in the old forum (subscriptions page) I hope this new one will have something similar.

I guess I had better make my first post on the new forum an assessment of it.

I'll just say this: Please, please tell me that these problems are happening because I'm on a mobile version and that the desktop version is better. I feel pretty intimidated by this new forum, hopefully I can learn to navigate it though.

Th... There is a mobile version, right?

Hey, at least I don't have to worry about my cursor unexpectedly changing places whenever I used bold, italics, or different fonts like it would on vBulletin!

I really don't like how bright it is. A dark background + making the post fill area an off-white color would go a long way.

And I do loathe having to use the WYSIWG editor. At least (some) BBcode things still work

Edited by NovaSilisko

also, does anyone know how to get links to a specific line of the post?

the old version was [LINE=DL]Downloads[/LINE]

and then add #DL to the link 

Edited by Sigma88

4 hours ago, EuSouONumero345 said:

btw, why is everything so big yet the forums don't use all the space in the page????

I agree, this new forum has way too big fonts and white spaces in general. 

Edit: And this new one is really slow, but could be traffic issue.

Edited by Lagopus

my gripes are minor, and could subside as I get used to the forum.  However, I do notlike two things for sure.  One thing is the fact that the list of online users on the home page is not in alphabetical order.  Secondly, I cannot tell if a person is online or offline!  I would really like to see that green light to show that a person is online!  :(

There may be issues with the new forum. However, it's much better than VBulletin, that much is very true. I've already posted a rant on another thread about the old forums, so I'll just leave this here...

18 minutes ago, Hobbes Novakoff said:

I hated the old forums. I shouldn't have to introduce people to the forums by telling them how to post pictures. The graphic design was ugly (looked like it was from the 1990s) and literally everything to do with quotes was horrid. I hated having to manually check every thread I've posted in to see if that post was an answer to my question or just banter. The mobile site was, to quote John Oliver, "Repurposed Bovine Waste," and when I used desktop on my mobile (as that was the only way I could browse and understand what was going on), I had to constantly zoom out to enter links in weird dialog boxes. When people quoted a wall of text to reply with a one-liner, I always ended up scrolling past the quote. And on the subject of blank space, the old forum was far too wide and annoying to read. There's a reason books are taller than they are wide, people. I also hated having tiny avatars that were impossible to make out. I shouldn't have to upload the same image twice, once for my profile and once for my avatar. And finally, font sizes are in points now, not "KSP Forum Size Units."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.