InSight launching in 2018

Frida Space

DcXRillU0AAM5SY?format=jpg

EDIT: i didn't realize there are people sticking their head inside the fairing oh good lord. I hope they have enough underwear and snack for the trip.

Edited by NSEP

RL-10 restart good. Go for Mars.

44 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Insight is cool but is anyone else really excited for the Cubesats?

I am. Tiny interplanetary probes are exactly the sort of thing we need to have tested as we expand out into the solar system.

EDIT: Aaaaand, MECO-2. Separation in under 10 minutes.

10 minutes ago, insert_name said:

here is the footage I got, apologies for the potato camera.

Still a really nice film! I could not even have a clear resolution like yours with my 4 years old Pana':

O8K3Ey4.png

On 5/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, Josh IN SPACE said:

I'm excited for them! I'll be referring to them as "The Twins."

They are both called MarCO. So 'the Marco Brothers' would be a fun name :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

NASA has announced it will live stream* the InSight (Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport) mission landing on Mars at approximately 3 p.m. EST Nov. 26.

There are to be about 80 official "Landing Event Watch Parties" taking place around the world (none in Australia :huh:) listed here: https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/timeline/landing/watch-in-person/

Full list of websites broadcasting the event: https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/timeline/landing/watch-online/

* For the pedantic: There will be signal delay.

Launched on May 5, InSight marks NASA's first Mars landing since the Curiosity rover in 2012. The landing will kick off a two-year mission in which InSight will become the first spacecraft to study Mars' deep interior. Its data also will help scientists understand the formation of all rocky worlds, including our own.

InSight is being followed to Mars by two mini-spacecraft comprising NASA’s Mars Cube One (MarCO), the first deep-space mission for CubeSats. If MarCO makes its planned Mars flyby, it will attempt to relay data from InSight as it enters the planet’s atmosphere and lands.

InSight and MarCO flight controllers will monitor the spacecraft's entry, descent and landing from mission control at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, where all landing events will take place.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-brings-mars-landing-first-in-six-years-to-viewers-everywhere-nov-26

43 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

taking place around the world

*USA, France (+ Rèunion) & Germany only.

Quite possibly this has to do with line-of-sight somehow. Mars will roughly be in eastern quadrature, so it'll not be visible from where we live (other end of the world) because we'll be in the morning.

Apropos to those living in Rèunion though, that's an event at 24:00 dead, monday night !

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.