[1.8.1+][Kopernicus]Kerbol Origins v.0.4.9 - Development Stalled Indefinitely

amarius1

iq3DcL8.pngsrqL4xa.pngyLoolTP.png

_____________________ Kerbol Origins _____________________ 

Welcome to Kerbol Origins, a mod that aims to recreate all the SQUAD planet ideas that never got implemented, like the Gas Planet Two (GP2), Gas Planet Three (that is actually a giant rocky planet) and many more. The mod has been fine-tuned to be as stockalike as possible and we made sure that it fills most of the gaps the stock Kerbol system has.

Many of the celestial bodies added by this pack are proceduraly generated, which means that they have a lower memory footprint, but others use heightmaps and while they are not entirely procedural, they offer much more detail than the procedural ones.

_____________________  Pictures _____________________ (

https://imgur.com/gallery/vKGxl7c

_______________________  Recommended mods _____________________

uaZHy65.png - by Amarius1

Spoiler

This mini-mod aims to provide stock planet tweaks to acompany Kerbol Origins. The tweaks are only for looks.

THZd7Uz.png - by Nils277

Spoiler

This is the separate pack containing only the parts added alongside Kerbol Origins!  

5Kqww3C.png by Valerian

Spoiler

"When in low orbit of a planet, the side of my ship which was facing the planet was completely dark, which was not realistic! It should have been illuminated a bit by the planet's own reflective light!

I decided to fix that with this mod, by making planets and moons to reflect their own (colored) light to your vessel."

_______________________  Lets meet the new planets! _____________________

Faz:

Spoiler
  • Second moon of Eve
  • Small purple captured asteroid with little futures
  • It was one of the test planets made by NovaSilisko, where he tested ground scatter collisions and terrain
  • Proceduraly generated

Harvest:

Spoiler
  • Harvest is formed of the remains of the body that crashed into Kerbin when Kerbin was just a proto-planet. It now remains trailing in Kerbin's L-4 spot
  • Uses a heightmap derived from Tylo.
  • It was one of the test planets made by NovaSilisko. It was later scrapped and its heightmap was improved and reused for Tylo
  • Rocky, mountainous surface with great views
  • Has large craters and canyons similar tot he original ones by NovaSilisko

Rega:

Spoiler
  • Has large rings
  • Uses a hand-made heightmap
  • Rocky, mountainous surface with great views
  • Has large craters and canyons 

Sarvin

Spoiler
  • Sarvin is a recreation of Gas Planet Two (GP2) shown by NovaSilisko in one of his streams
  • Sarvin uses the original texture shown in one of NovaSilisko's streams
  • Has dense rings formed of dark dust particles
  • Is home of 5 moons, Daphy, Potatus, Eeloo, Fonso and Shayle

Moons of Sarvin:

Daphy:

Spoiler
  • Sarvin's first moon
  • Has little futures
  • Is proceduraly generated
  • Is covered in fluff and hardened ice
  • It has a somewhat bouncy surface
  • It was in NovaSilisko's original GP2 plan

Potatus:

Spoiler
  • Sarvin's second moon
  • Has many mountains
  • Is covered in ice that was swept away by impacts leaving brown, rocky valleys
  • Has many small impact craters

Eeloo:

Spoiler
  • Sarvin's third moon
  • Is covered in ice
  • May hide a liquid water ocean beyond its crust
  • Has craters

Fonso

Spoiler
  • Has mountains that stretch beyond its atmosphere
  • Has thin atmosphere
  • Mostly mountainous rocky terrain, but here and there, there are sandy deserts 
  • Has large, eroded craters

Shayle:

Spoiler
  • Has a mostly smooth terrain
  • Many small craters
  • Minty-radioactive color

Keelon:

Spoiler
  • Keelon is a recreation of Gas Planet Tree (GP3), and it was later revealed by NovaSilisko that it was instead, a giant rocky planet
  • Rocky surface
  • Many dry deserts
  • Reddish atmosphere
  • Harsh gravity pull that will make takeoff a real challenge

Moons of Keelon:

Manai:

Spoiler
  • Manai is Keelon's first moon, a rocky planet with intense volcanic activity
  • Has a global lava ocean sorrounding its continents
  • Has many little islands spread in its lava ocean
  • Has thin atmosphere
  • If  you come too close to the lava your ship overheats and explodes 

Lok:

Spoiler
  • Revus is Keelon's second moon
  • Is covered in dust and stone
  • Has many crater
  • Has a large equatorial ridge

Revus:

Spoiler
  • Revus is Keelon's third moon
  • Is covered in hardened ice
  • Has many canyons

Corolet:

Spoiler
  • Has a beautiful comet tail via Kopernicus Expansions
  • Is procedural
  • Soft surface with great views
  • Has hard to reach orbit

__________________________________  The team! ________________________________

@amarius1                    - Original Owner  & Lead Developer         

@Mythical Donuts           - Developer       

@zherdev                         - Developer   

@Nils277                         - Part Creator      

@Olympic1                    - Career Compatibility & Tweaks                                                                                                    

@The White Guardian  - Career Compatibility, EVE Clouds & Tweaks          

@smokytehbear             - FF Ribbons

@Eriksonn                   - Principia Compatibility

And more!

__________________________________  Thank you ________________________________

• Thomas             - For developing and mantaining Kopernicus.
  • KillAshley          - For teachingt of the aspects of planet creation.
  • CaptRobau        - For teaching me the basics long before Kopernicus could even load PQS mods.
  • Olympic1           - For being a good friend and collaborating with me in all of my projects.
  • Sigma88             - For giving me advice and giving everyone over #Kopernicus a good laugh.                                                         

___________________________________  Installation ________________________________

1. Download the mod files from any of the buttons at the top of the page
  2. Download the Kopernicus dependency from GitHub
  3. Merge downloaded GameData folder from both mods with yours
  4. ???
  5. PROFIT!

!WARNING: When installing new versions of the mod, NEVER merge the new version's files with older versions, but instead, delete the old ones, before.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Known Bugs:

Spoiler

-none ATM-

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

To do:

Spoiler

Parts:

• New 3.75m "Tellur" Heavy Lift Engine
  • Black radiators for probes exploring Corolet
  • Smaller batteries 
  • New "Horizon" High Range Communication Parabolic Antenna
  • 2.5m fuel tank retexture
  • New 2.5m "Xplorer"  Crew Capsule
  • New 2.5m "Neebus"  Heavy Lift Engine

zAvQwbC.jpg

Edited by amarius1
Thank you everyone!

24 minutes ago, 123nick said:

great, but... OPM already moves eello, so how will this be compatible? infact, i think a couple of planet mods move eeloo, maybe even new horizons

Well... I'll provide a patch for that... Or OPM will... Who knows...

7 minutes ago, jeremythebeast said:

If I try to focus on Daphy, it focuses to Sarvin instead. Even if I try to right click on Daphy and click focus view....

Yeah, that's because Daphy is so small and Sarvin is so big, that the game draws the box that lets you select Sarvin over where Daphy also is.

In order to focus on Daphy or any other bodies, use the TAB button on your keyboard!

Edited by amarius1

31 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Congrats on the release! And are there liquids on Fonso's surface?

Thank you! Nope, the blue parts are just blue hardened ice that is only visible because impact craters and winds scaped away the sands covering it...

E.V.E update! Even though there are a few bugs left to squash and some celestial bodies haven't been touched yet, I might, I repeat might be able to get it all finished on Christmas. But it'd be a Christmas miracle though.

As for the things on the To-Do list of Kerbol Origins, I could tackle the science balance and custom science defenitions. @amarius1 just give me the green light and I'll balance out the sciencevalues from Dropbox. While I won't touch the configs, I'll add a .txt file with balanced science values. Since you have more experience with Kopernicus, I'll leave updating the science multipliers to you. I could do it myself, but I'm far too afraid that I'd break something.

As for the ScienceDefs, just give me the green light and I'll add another textfile with custom science defenitions. I'll need a list of biomes for each body though as well as a description of the terrain, and pasting that here would spoil stuff.

8 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

E.V.E update! Even though there are a few bugs left to squash and some celestial bodies haven't been touched yet, I might, I repeat might be able to get it all finished on Christmas. But it'd be a Christmas miracle though.

As for the things on the To-Do list of Kerbol Origins, I could tackle the science balance and custom science defenitions. @amarius1 just give me the green light and I'll balance out the sciencevalues from Dropbox. While I won't touch the configs, I'll add a .txt file with balanced science values. Since you have more experience with Kopernicus, I'll leave updating the science multipliers to you. I could do it myself, but I'm far too afraid that I'd break something.

As for the ScienceDefs, just give me the green light and I'll add another textfile with custom science defenitions. I'll need a list of biomes for each body though as well as a description of the terrain, and pasting that here would spoil stuff.

Well... I GIVE YOU THE GREENLIGHT! :D

47 minutes ago, 123nick said:

why is it that both you and @The White Guardian both have planets as profile pics? i know its a bit offtopic, but im actually just finding an excuse to ask about the eeloo patch without it sounding like i solely desire it :P .

I don't know... Coincidence maybe...

BTW I'll deliver the Eeloo patch when we have more things finished. W can't release an update containing just a patch... Well... Maybe a silent update?

I did some testing with Manai, and I didn't overheat in the atmosphere. In fact, there weren't any reentry effects at all! I'm not too sure if it's a glitch or just because I may not have been fast enough. Either way, I want the perfect planet to BBQ Kerbals.:sticktongue:

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I did some testing with Manai, and I didn't overheat in the atmosphere. In fact, there weren't any reentry effects at all! I'm not too sure if it's a glitch or just because I may not have been fast enough. Either way, I want the perfect planet to BBQ Kerbals.:sticktongue:

Well there are 2 reasons of no overheating: 

1. Atmosphere is too thin
  2. You are going too slow

SO no bug. I think that you should start to overheat and explode at about 30m over the lava but if you enable heat resistance trough cheats, you can actually get to the ocean! :D

Edited by amarius1

On 23-12-2015 at 2:29 PM, 123nick said:

why is it that both you and @The White Guardian both have planets as profile pics? i know its a bit offtopic, but im actually just finding an excuse to ask about the eeloo patch without it sounding like i solely desire it :P .

I have Saturn as my profile pic because I absolutely love the planet. Both the planet and it's moons are fascinating. If I weren't drowning in work, I would give you some examples.

On 23-12-2015 at 9:49 AM, amarius1 said:

Well... I GIVE YOU THE GREENLIGHT! :D

Alright, then.

3 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I have Saturn as my profile pic because I absolutely love the planet. Both the planet and it's moons are fascinating. If I weren't drowning in work, I would give you some examples.

Alright, then.

ok, cool :)

10 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

@amarius1, under To-Do -> mechanics you listed "Intergration with EVE for clouds and atmospheric glow ~via~ EVE "

Well, the E.V.E reboot broke the atmospheric glow, so until I manage to get it working again, I cannot add that feature. If I can get it to work again, that is.

Well... too bad... 

I was allready working on scatterer configs for the mod..

Oh... Merry Christmas!

Edited by amarius1

13 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Well... too bad... 

I was allready working on scatterer configs for the mod..

Oh... Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too! And Scatterer is MUCH better than what I can do with E.V.E so far. Perhaps you can also add the water effects to Manai's lava seas.

6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Merry Christmas to you too! And Scatterer is MUCH better than what I can do with E.V.E so far. Perhaps you can also add the water effects to Manai's lava seas.

Thank you! Never worked with scatterer settings before and I don't know of any planet packs that provide Scatterer configs so we might be pioneers! I hope I can finish the scatterer configs until new year. Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.