amarius1

[1.7.3+][Kopernicus]Kerbol Origins v.0.4.9 - Development Resumed!

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Also, not to hype everyone too early but going to Uni soon I'll be able to get an RTX2060/2070 machine which means I'll afford to give all Kerbol Origins planets a 4k/8k retexture and a new terrain overhaul as well as new clouds depending on time . The mod will become Kerbol Origins Reloaded. Stay tuned for the rebirth.

 

ETA: 3 months

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think you could add some stuff to some of the planets/moons to go with the breaking ground DLC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kjonde564 said:

Do you think you could add some stuff to some of the planets/moons to go with the breaking ground DLC?

Can't say anything rn as I'm focused on finishing with my important exams for now but what I can say is I need to see how SQUAD (Take2) implemented the current system if I wanted to add special ground formations. I can add some special ground scatter if you want however 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 5:26 PM, Jognt said:

Good luck!

Thank you! This project has been going for more than 5 years already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amarius1 said:

Thank you! This project has been going for more than 5 years already...

I meant with Uni :P though I guess you can apply it to this aswell ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 5:18 PM, Jognt said:

I meant with Uni :P though I guess you can apply it to this aswell ;)

Oh, thanks! :D

 

Love ya all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this mod a few days ago and i really like it. However, the placements of the bodies are (in my humble opinion) too far apart in most cases(as i cant timewarp more than in stock, and probably dont want to either). And wierd in other cases. So i decided to modify the config files to make it more suitable for me. And when principia(the mod that adds n-body gravity) updates to 1.7.1 i will probably tweak it some more to be compatible with that. So here is a list of the changes i made to the system orderd by distance from the sun in the original configs:

Faz and Harvest are already quite good and hasent gotten any changes yet, although i am skeptical as to if Faz will be stable with n-body gravity but that is a fix for later days.

Rega: Moved in orbit of Dres to make space for Keelon. Moved its rings to Dres while making them slightly smaller, Rega is now a shepard moon of the rings with a combined tidal lock to Dres similar to the Duna-Ike system.

Sarvin: Most of the changes happend here. First i moved the whole Sarnus system to just outside Jools orbit in such a way that they are in a 5/3 resonance. Then i swapped Potatus and Shales orbits and made Shales orbit way less inclined, After that i made Potatus appear as a captured asteroid by making its orbit a bit more eccentric. I also explained its awkward shape by increasing its rotation rate to almost be the orbital period of something at the equator, this has the effect that if you are in very low orbit only a kilometer or two above the surface the surface velocity will be around 16 m/s. this leads to some very interesting coriolis forces and other fun stuff. Lastly i decreased the inclinations of all the bodies in the Sarvin system as it felt abit too chaotic. Only Potatus has its inclination unchanged(remember that it uses the inclination that Shale has in the default mod).

Keelon: Moved to the pervious orbit of Rega, ie just inside Jool, but with less inclination.

Corolet: Shrunk its apoapsis to be just outside of Sarvin.

Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/i6F0ZDV

 

I can probably post the new config files if anyone is interested :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Eriksonn said:

I got this mod a few days ago and i really like it. However, the placements of the bodies are (in my humble opinion) too far apart in most cases(as i cant timewarp more than in stock, and probably dont want to either). And wierd in other cases. So i decided to modify the config files to make it more suitable for me. And when principia(the mod that adds n-body gravity) updates to 1.7.1 i will probably tweak it some more to be compatible with that. So here is a list of the changes i made to the system orderd by distance from the sun in the original configs:

Faz and Harvest are already quite good and hasent gotten any changes yet, although i am skeptical as to if Faz will be stable with n-body gravity but that is a fix for later days.

Rega: Moved in orbit of Dres to make space for Keelon. Moved its rings to Dres while making them slightly smaller, Rega is now a shepard moon of the rings with a combined tidal lock to Dres similar to the Duna-Ike system.

Sarvin: Most of the changes happend here. First i moved the whole Sarnus system to just outside Jools orbit in such a way that they are in a 5/3 resonance. Then i swapped Potatus and Shales orbits and made Shales orbit way less inclined, After that i made Potatus appear as a captured asteroid by making its orbit a bit more eccentric. I also explained its awkward shape by increasing its rotation rate to almost be the orbital period of something at the equator, this has the effect that if you are in very low orbit only a kilometer or two above the surface the surface velocity will be around 16 m/s. this leads to some very interesting coriolis forces and other fun stuff. Lastly i decreased the inclinations of all the bodies in the Sarvin system as it felt abit too chaotic. Only Potatus has its inclination unchanged(remember that it uses the inclination that Shale has in the default mod).

Keelon: Moved to the pervious orbit of Rega, ie just inside Jool, but with less inclination.

Corolet: Shrunk its apoapsis to be just outside of Sarvin.

Imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/i6F0ZDV

 

I can probably post the new config files if anyone is interested :)

 

Sure, share them here, they will become part of the mod when I get around the next major update coming in at least a month or so... Till then everyone would be free to get the configs from you. Thank you!

 

Next major version will likely have reworked ground features with many more details as well as very high res textures. I may be getting an insanely powerful RTX2060 laptop for Uni so I'm thinking of adding 8k textures to Potatus as well as at least basic cloud coverage on some of the planets. There will be a low-performance pack with compressed textures for slower computers that can't hit 60fps with 8k (although I expect anything around GTX1050-1050ti to be entirely fine for the most part). Currently everything you see was made on a machine than ran the game with the mod at 20 fps max and took about 5 minutes for any live terrain change which means a lot of the stuff was made by chance. I honestly have no idea how I managed to get it to look decently all this time but welp it's my oldest mod ever and I love it.

 

Thank you and everyone here for giving it a try and maybe sticking with it, it's a project ongoing for at least 4 years that started right around the time Outer Planets Mod had their first gas giants.

The ideas in KO actually started waaaay before when KSP had its 0.18 update and the main dev who planned a lot of these bodies left SQUAD back then. Potatus was actually closely made after his descriptions and he actually helped with orbital data about how to keep Harvest trailing behind Kerbin the way it was supposed to.

Oof what a time, OPM and KO used to be the first Kopernicus-based planet packs and so many things were broken.

Edited by amarius1
Damn nostalgia!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Sure, share them here, they will become part of the mod when I get around the next major update coming in at least a month or so... Till then everyone would be free to get the configs from you. Thank you!

Ok, then i will share them(if you somehow make that an option for the regular mod that will be so cool as that will be the first time i have participated in a mod for any game whatsoever :D)

Here is a link to the github page with all the files: https://github.com/Eriksonnaren/Kerbol-Origins-Config-Files

The "Jool and Dres fix" should go in the Kopernicus/Config folder and the rest should overwrite their respective files in KerbolOrigins.

the Jool part in the "Jool and Dres fix" are small changes(that includes making bop retrograde) to make the  Jool system stable if principia is used, even though principia is not updated for the current version of ksp and i might update these configs when that happens if something goes unstable but i will leave this here in any case. (Becauce having bop being retrograde makes sense becauce it is a captured asteroid so close to Tylo)

If there is a problem with the files or if i missed one tell me about it and i will try to fix it. :wink:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Eriksonn said:

Ok, then i will share them(if you somehow make that an option for the regular mod that will be so cool as that will be the first time i have participated in a mod for any game whatsoever :D)

Here is a link to the github page with all the files: https://github.com/Eriksonnaren/Kerbol-Origins-Config-Files

The "Jool and Dres fix" should go in the Kopernicus/Config folder and the rest should overwrite their respective files in KerbolOrigins.

the Jool part in the "Jool and Dres fix" are small changes(that includes making bop retrograde) to make the  Jool system stable if principia is used, even though principia is not updated for the current version of ksp and i might update these configs when that happens if something goes unstable but i will leave this here in any case. (Becauce having bop being retrograde makes sense becauce it is a captured asteroid so close to Tylo)

If there is a problem with the files or if i missed one tell me about it and i will try to fix it. :wink:

 

Sure thing buddy. You're officially mentioned on the mod dev page now:D

Edited by amarius1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The reason i made these changes(i did similar changes to OPM too) is that even with stock max time warp principia gets really slow and chuggy(that means that max time warp is about half of the speed it should be at, but i bet that depends on the computer you are using). So by compacting the planets less timewarp is needed, and i also prefer to not need 100 years of warp to get to a faraway rock and back.

Edit: this is apparently my 100th post, so i have 3 dots on my profile now :D

Edited by Eriksonn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but keelon's surface is buggy. The brown spots become black, and there's "space-time cracks" all over the surface.

Also, make its orbit be around halfway between Sarvin and current Keelon. 60-75 year trips are way too long.

Edit: I just noticed someone made keelon be inside jool's orbit a bit back. I think it should still be post-Sarvin, to match what was originally planned for GP3

Edited by talkItalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, talkItalk said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but keelon's surface is buggy. The brown spots become black, and there's "space-time cracks" all over the surface.

Also, make its orbit be around halfway between Sarvin and current Keelon. 60-75 year trips are way too long.

Edit: I just noticed someone made keelon be inside jool's orbit a bit back. I think it should still be post-Sarvin, to match what was originally planned for GP3

Thank you for letting me know, we are planning an entire terrain remake of Keelon too along with Shayle, Revus and Daphy as well as tweaks to details on Potatus. 

Orbits will also go through some tweaks. Also, you can use the Better Time Warp mod here: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 5:22 AM, amarius1 said:

Thank you for letting me know, we are planning an entire terrain remake of Keelon too along with Shayle, Revus and Daphy as well as tweaks to details on Potatus. 

Orbits will also go through some tweaks. Also, you can use the Better Time Warp mod here: 

 

If we're in the middle of a career and have something orbiting one of the planets/moons that get their orbit tweaked.  Will it destroy our savegame?  Or any special tricks to make it work through that kind of change?

Also - how do I change the intro screen planet back to Kerbin?

Edited by jpinard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jpinard said:

If we're in the middle of a career and have something orbiting one of the planets/moons that get their orbit tweaked.  Will it destroy our savegame?  Or any special tricks to make it work through that kind of change?

Also - how do I change the intro screen planet back to Kerbin?

Pretty sure the saves will not be affected at all as the orbit of the ship has nothing to do with where the planets are. Just make sure none of the ships are on an escape orbit around the planets before updating.

You can change the intro screen by going into the Sarvin.cfg file in the Sarvin System folder and deleting the note about menu body. Do you really want that to be removed in the next update? It will become very beautiful with the future 8k textures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, jpinard said:

If we're in the middle of a career and have something orbiting one of the planets/moons that get their orbit tweaked.  Will it destroy our savegame?  Or any special tricks to make it work through that kind of change?

Also - how do I change the intro screen planet back to Kerbin?

Firstly, it will not affect your save game. Orbits in KSP work in a simplified manner. In the real world, there is something known as the N body problem, which dictates that it is impossible to perfectly describe an orbit mathematically, since every bit of matter attracts every bit of matter. One can however create a reasonably accurate approximation by considering only the significant gravitational attractors. KSP only considers a spacecraft's 'parent body' (IE the object this spacecraft orbits) and describes the spacecraft's orbit around that parent body. The position of that parent body is largely irrelevant.

HOWEVER

Moving a planet closer to the sun or a moon closer to its parent planet reduces the sphere of influence, IE the region of space in which this object is the primary attractor. For example, if you move Kerbin towards its sun, "Kerbol's" gravity will crunch down much harder on the SOI thereby shrinking it significantly. Thus if you move planets inwards significantly, spacecrafts in distant orbits around the moved celestial will now find themselves outside the SOI, and KSP should adjust the orbit accordingly (IE the spacecraft will now orbit whatever it would be orbiting if it were to leave the SOI of the parent object). Similarly, moving a planet's orbit outward may cause it to scoop up nearby spacecrafts. In order to do this without affecting your saves' stability, move the planets in such a matter that:

1. The moved objects never come too close to any vessel, taking the potential change in SOI into account.

2. The moved objects, if moved inward, have no vessels in orbit that might be kicked out.

And lastly, there is a potential glitch that might occur with distant moons of planets that are moved inward. Similarly the moon's orbit might be outside the SOI. KSP however does not fix orbits for celestial bodies. So pay attention to any potential moons when doing this.

 

Secondly, to change the main menu body back to Kerbin, navigate to:
[KSP Directory]/GameData/KerbolOrigins/SarvinSystem/Sarvin and open up 'Sarvin.cfg'

You will notice that, on line 36 it reads:

%mainMenuBody = Sarvin

This line tells Kopernicus to change the value applied to mainMenuBody (that's what the little percent means at the front, it tells ModuleManager not to create a new config value, but to patch an existing one) to be the celestial body named 'Sarvin'. Either change this to:
 

//%mainMenuBody = Sarvin

Or delete the line entirely. KO will work perfectly regardless since it doesn't rely on Sarvin being the main menu body.

 

I hope this answers your questions. If you'd like to ask me to explain something in more detail, let me know. :wink:

 

 

 

On a separate note, perhaps I should explain my long absence when it comes to helping develop this mod. Rest assured that I've been working on several exciting new features pending the next release:

- Hand-crafted terrain scatters for the mod

- [Possibly] ambient sound on atmospheric planets (wind, thunder, etc)

- Better 'surface' for Sarvin

- EVE and Scatterer configurations for all applicable objects

- [Possibly] Monoliths and other easter eggs scattered throughout the system.

- [Possibly] Active (read: erupting) volcanoes on Manai and Keelon

The main holdup is a consequence of a new mod I've been developing in the shadows that allows for objects to be spawned from Asset Bundles into the planetary system. This results in nigh limitless versatility, but implementing it properly takes some time to do.

Edited by The White Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow thank you so much for explaining it.  Evereything mad eperfect sense and that doesn't happen often.

Your list of stuff coming up, especially the "possibly" options.  WOW!  How amazing it would be to have sound! and active volcanos.  That is soooo exciting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 3:42 PM, The White Guardian said:

Firstly, it will not affect your save game. Orbits in KSP work in a simplified manner. In the real world, there is something known as the N body problem, which dictates that it is impossible to perfectly describe an orbit mathematically, since every bit of matter attracts every bit of matter. One can however create a reasonably accurate approximation by considering only the significant gravitational attractors. KSP only considers a spacecraft's 'parent body' (IE the object this spacecraft orbits) and describes the spacecraft's orbit around that parent body. The position of that parent body is largely irrelevant.

HOWEVER

Moving a planet closer to the sun or a moon closer to its parent planet reduces the sphere of influence, IE the region of space in which this object is the primary attractor. For example, if you move Kerbin towards its sun, "Kerbol's" gravity will crunch down much harder on the SOI thereby shrinking it significantly. Thus if you move planets inwards significantly, spacecrafts in distant orbits around the moved celestial will now find themselves outside the SOI, and KSP should adjust the orbit accordingly (IE the spacecraft will now orbit whatever it would be orbiting if it were to leave the SOI of the parent object). Similarly, moving a planet's orbit outward may cause it to scoop up nearby spacecrafts. In order to do this without affecting your saves' stability, move the planets in such a matter that:

1. The moved objects never come too close to any vessel, taking the potential change in SOI into account.

2. The moved objects, if moved inward, have no vessels in orbit that might be kicked out.

And lastly, there is a potential glitch that might occur with distant moons of planets that are moved inward. Similarly the moon's orbit might be outside the SOI. KSP however does not fix orbits for celestial bodies. So pay attention to any potential moons when doing this.

 

Secondly, to change the main menu body back to Kerbin, navigate to:
[KSP Directory]/GameData/KerbolOrigins/SarvinSystem/Sarvin and open up 'Sarvin.cfg'

You will notice that, on line 36 it reads:


%mainMenuBody = Sarvin

This line tells Kopernicus to change the value applied to mainMenuBody (that's what the little percent means at the front, it tells ModuleManager not to create a new config value, but to patch an existing one) to be the celestial body named 'Sarvin'. Either change this to:
 


//%mainMenuBody = Sarvin

Or delete the line entirely. KO will work perfectly regardless since it doesn't rely on Sarvin being the main menu body.

 

I hope this answers your questions. If you'd like to ask me to explain something in more detail, let me know. :wink:

 

 

 

On a separate note, perhaps I should explain my long absence when it comes to helping develop this mod. Rest assured that I've been working on several exciting new features pending the next release:

- Hand-crafted terrain scatters for the mod

- [Possibly] ambient sound on atmospheric planets (wind, thunder, etc)

- Better 'surface' for Sarvin

- EVE and Scatterer configurations for all applicable objects

- [Possibly] Monoliths and other easter eggs scattered throughout the system.

- [Possibly] Active (read: erupting) volcanoes on Manai and Keelon

The main holdup is a consequence of a new mod I've been developing in the shadows that allows for objects to be spawned from Asset Bundles into the planetary system. This results in nigh limitless versatility, but implementing it properly takes some time to do.

Awesome explanation buddy! Thank you for staying with me through this. Good news is that Olympic1 is also back on track and will start working on full science defs when he has time again. I'll be finishing my exams next week (hopefully good) and then within one month I'll have a new laptop and I'll start right away to play with the terrain to make it slightly more detailed as well as provide a facelift to the scaled space textures. Originally the mod was intended for potato computers but I'm pretty sure some more important moons and planets deserve 4k or 8k textures as most GPUs nowdays are up to the task. Good luck and thank you! I'll have to learn the PQSmod node system again xD

 

It's amazing how much this project has been going for, with all the dramas and hardships. All of this was supposed to just be a huge update to that first Kerbol Plus mod I made which got stolen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, amarius1 said:

Awesome explanation buddy! Thank you for staying with me through this. Good news is that Olympic1 is also back on track and will start working on full science defs when he has time again. I'll be finishing my exams next week (hopefully good) and then within one month I'll have a new laptop and I'll start right away to play with the terrain to make it slightly more detailed as well as provide a facelift to the scaled space textures. Originally the mod was intended for potato computers but I'm pretty sure some more important moons and planets deserve 4k or 8k textures as most GPUs nowdays are up to the task. Good luck and thank you! I'll have to learn the PQSmod node system again xD

I could give that scaledspace an update if you'd like. My computer is really beefy, so even 8K maps don't take more than a minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I could give that scaledspace an update if you'd like. My computer is really beefy, so even 8K maps don't take more than a minute.

I will be able to do it too, however. What I'll be getting has at least an RTX2060, i7 8750H and 24gigs of ram, that should be enough, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amarius1 said:

I will be able to do it too, however. What I'll be getting has at least an RTX2060, i7 8750H and 24gigs of ram, that should be enough, right?

That's better than my build for all but the GPU (I run an RTX 2080 Ti) so yeah, that's more than enough. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

That's better than my build for all but the GPU (I run an RTX 2080 Ti) so yeah, that's more than enough. :wink:

Epic. Can't wait to get working on it assuming the rest of my life stuff is sorted out till then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that the densities of many of the objects(rega in particular) are much higher than many of the stock planets of the same type.

in g/cm^3:

dres=29
kerbin=58
mun=29
minmus=29
duna=33
rega=122
harvest=65
keelon=118

the reason that i found it was that the surface gravity for rega is smaller than the surface gravity for dres, which seems strange considering how much smaller it is. Also considering how both rega and dres are dwarf planets and should share the same composition/density.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can someone please verify to me how to download both the planet pack and kopernicus as I have been unable to see any of the planets or ksp will say that kopernicus was not working and could not load the planets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, eddiebar said:

can someone please verify to me how to download both the planet pack and kopernicus as I have been unable to see any of the planets or ksp will say that kopernicus was not working and could not load the planets 

Put the Kerbol Origins folder in Game Data. Make sure to upgrade to latest version.

Edited by amarius1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.