How to activate the separator

Here is the rover atop my ship. It is attached by a TR-18D stack separator which I first put on the command pod.

http://imgur.com/kWNtQL7

I got the ship with 3 Kerbals safely to Mun but don't know how to activate or trigger the separator so that it will pop or fling the rover off and onto the ground.

Here is the description of the separator:

http://imgur.com/gtmqUvn

I have no idea what "Crossfeed toggles in Editor, Flight default off" means. What is the editor? How would I turn default to "on"? 

I've been struggling with this whole attachment business for about 10 days now. I'm now the swiftest learner around but I can put that ship together in about 60 seconds now, I've done it so many times trying to get things right. This program is the least intuitive I've ever used, going back to when I began using computers (1980s). People like me are fortunate to have a caring community such as the knowledgeable ones on this forum. I like the game a lot, but it's frustrating as hell. And I'm grateful for the help I get here. 

I look forward to whatever answers you can provide to the questions above. I have 3 Kerbals sitting on Mun, waiting patiently to find out if they're going to get to ride around on their rover. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about the duplication!

It should default to on, which means it will be in the staging lineup.  So make sure it's in the right order and press space bar.  You can hover the mouse over it and it will highlight the staging icon for it.  If that doesn't work, chances are you placed it improperly attaching to the wrong node, or you already staged it and it didn't have the power to push your payload up and off.  

I think it refers to fuel crossfeed that usually is disabled unless enable during flight and in the VAB

BTW That arrangement is horrifying, this is why we use sky cranes or somehow attach it to the bottom of the lander. If your Lander or Rover has torque, try decoupling it then shake the Lander or Rover till it falls off.

Edited by Greenhornet553