[1.2] 'Otter' Submersible (USI Submarine Parts) [0.2.0]

RoverDude

41 minutes ago, politas said:

Hi Roverdude! Nice looking mod. I'm just trying to fix up the kerbalstuff ckan submission, and I note that USITools 0.5.5.0 in included in the mod, which hasn't been released on Github yet. Are you planning on holding USITools-0.5.5.0 until you are moving this from WIP to Stable? 

For anyone else trying out this mod and wondering why KSP stops loading midway through startup - making sure you merge in this version of USITools is the fix.  ;)   (I tend to manually merge on Mac, and hadn't bothered with the 'common USI files'.)

49 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Or just install this last from the ZIP on KStuff ;)

I did - but I hadn't merged the ZIP in correctly.  ;)  (Trying to unzip over the top will just get me a 'GameData-1' folder, as it doesn't want to overwrite by default.  So, unzip, and drag-and-drop.  But I hadn't drag-and-dropped everything I needed to.  I can merge as part of the unzip as well, but that requires going to the commandline and dropping into Unix mode.)

Edited by DStaal
Addtional info.

I believe he means on the tech tree.  (CTT)  It is a bit odd, but I'm not sure where would make sense, and 'flight' links to 'planetside' in my head, versus most of the tech tree which is for space or airless/waterless environments.

On 12/23/2015 at 8:23 AM, Rodger said:

The radial impellers don't seem to do... well anything really, besides make cool bubbles lol. Even after I dumped my lead and emptied the water tanks, so vessel mass was around 5T, the tiny thrust from them didn't seem to do anything. My horiz vel was just showing NaN, and my vertical was 1.4m/s, with the radial impellers on or off.

On 12/23/2015 at 9:08 AM, RoverDude said:

Manual activation is expected - they have to be activated underwater.  Regarding engines - you got some jinkiness going on there because the engines have been working perfectly fine throughout development...

BTW folks, a good example of 'jinkiness' here would be having your radial thrusters on backwards... and directing against the hull of the ship. That seriously impairs the thrust. I think it even cancels it out entirely. Should be based on angle, not sure it is but whatever; if you have the impellers pointing against your ship then they aren't gonna work. (that's always been the case with engines in KSP)(except RCS)

Edited by Starwaster

7 hours ago, vardicd said:

were the parts from this supposed to end up in supersonic flight? ;) seems a strange place to me. :D 

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Specificity please....

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I believe he means on the tech tree.  (CTT)  It is a bit odd, but I'm not sure where would make sense, and 'flight' links to 'planetside' in my head, versus most of the tech tree which is for space or airless/waterless environments.

yes, this exactly, I meant the parts are showing up in supersonic flight in the techtree. I wasn't complaining or anything, just commenting that it seemed an odd place. I had assumed construction, or advanced construction or something else. sorry I wasn't clearer.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

Odd - they are all set to scienceTech, and there is no separate CTT config.

1 hour ago, landeTLS said:

I must say. That is pretty sexy

Thanks

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

yes, this exactly, I meant the parts are showing up in supersonic flight in the techtree. I wasn't complaining or anything, just commenting that it seemed an odd place. I had assumed construction, or advanced construction or something else. sorry I wasn't clearer.

They should not be - all of the configs explicitly state science tech

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

BTW folks, a good example of 'jinkiness' here would be having your radial thrusters on backwards... and directing against the hull of the ship. That seriously impairs the thrust. I think it even cancels it out entirely. Should be based on angle, not sure it is but whatever; if you have the impellers pointing against your ship then they aren't gonna work. (that's always been the case with engines in KSP)(except RCS)

Just a standard engine, with the direction shown in the pic at the top of the thread

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Odd - they are all set to scienceTech, and there is no separate CTT config.

They should not be - all of the configs explicitly state science tech

huh, that's odd. I don't think I have any mods that affect where things are in the tech tree...:huh:

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

huh, that's odd. I don't think I have any mods that affect where things are in the tech tree...:huh:

I just double-checked, if I remove Community Tech Tree then the parts are in Science Tech.  So it appears to be some sort of interaction there.  You sure you aren't running CTT?

I believe I have found the issue: in the 'SubPack' folder, there is a file named 'CTT.cfg'.  Remove it, and the parts go to Science Tech.  :D

(I'm going to assume that file wasn't intended to be there.  ;)  I double-checked - it's in the download from KerbalStuff.)

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I just double-checked, if I remove Community Tech Tree then the parts are in Science Tech.  So it appears to be some sort of interaction there.  You sure you aren't running CTT?

Oh I was running CTT, I just meant that I wasn't running any other mods that affect the tech tree locations. Tonight has not been my night for being clear.

31 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I believe I have found the issue: in the 'SubPack' folder, there is a file named 'CTT.cfg'.  Remove it, and the parts go to Science Tech.  :D

(I'm going to assume that file wasn't intended to be there.  ;)  I double-checked - it's in the download from KerbalStuff.)

I found that file as well, and I was wrong again, the parts are in subsonic flight, not supersonic flight.

So that's what the submarine-related repositories on GitHub were about...

Sadly, other than diving, there is nothing to do with subs - yet.

It is possible to add suboceanic biomes and a Kerbinside config (or something similar) for a boat dock?

On 12/23/2015 at 0:11 AM, hraban said:

Hello RoverDude,

obviously this mod, like almost all your mods and plugins for Windows and KSP in 64bit mode can not be run. Would be very friendly if you could mention that in the post.
Beautifully modeled parts and fine textures. Too bad that the mod is not working.

Greetings and a happy Christmas time.

Why would he need to mention that? There is no official 64 bit windows version at this time.

@hraban - nothing I do explicitly disallows Win64, but thank you for showing an example of how Win64 users clog up the support process.  Don't use it, if you want extra mods, use Linux.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but it's when people spread misinformation (i.e. that I do something to block win64, etc.) caused by their use of a non-supported platform that I get stuck with the support headaches caused by it.

RE CTT - that file should not be there - I'll yank it for the next release. 

Edited by RoverDude

15 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Mine went there a long time ago. It's his fault. Has to go off and make most of the best mods available.

He makes and shares what he likes, it just happens that a lot of people like the same thing :)