[1.2] 'Otter' Submersible (USI Submarine Parts) [0.2.0]

RoverDude

Very WIP!  Introducing the 'Otter' submersible from USI!  

wwFtwWe.png

Pick it up on GitHub:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/SubPack/releases

Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license.

Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

Edited by RoverDude

Awesome! Got one down to -750m, bumped the back end of it on the ocean floor and broke the inline impeller straight away lol :sticktongue:

Just the first couple of things I've noticed:

The radial impellers don't seem to do... well anything really, besides make cool bubbles lol. Even after I dumped my lead and emptied the water tanks, so vessel mass was around 5T, the tiny thrust from them didn't seem to do anything. My horiz vel was just showing NaN, and my vertical was 1.4m/s, with the radial impellers on or off.

And the inline impeller seems to need to rotate 180° to actually be placed in the right direction for it to thrust forward. And a thrust reverser could be cool too, ether for speed control, or just making radial 'engine' pods with them somehow (maybe with a radial hull part?), facing forwards and backwards.

And the particles from the pod's RCS are going in the opposite direction to what they should be, they move towards the direction of thrust. And they didn't activate until I selected 'activate RCS port' form the pod's right click menu. Just using the RCS hotkey didn't activate them.

Edited by Rodger

First, let me say I love this mod. It's got a great look and all the parts seem to be working well.

I put together a pod, 2x spotlights, 2x radial impellers, 2x rudders, and the ventral ballast tank. After about 15 minutes of tooling around the seafloor I ran out of power.

I'm now about 30 minutes in and I'm finding that with the big spotlights off and at ~12% throttle I'm barely generating enough power to charge the on-board battery.

If you're planning on using the pod reactor as the sole power generating system, you might want to up the juice output a bit. Or maybe consider adding an inline auxiliary reactor for bigger subs with more parts, engines, etc.

48 minutes ago, Jarnin said:

First, let me say I love this mod. It's got a great look and all the parts seem to be working well.

I put together a pod, 2x spotlights, 2x radial impellers, 2x rudders, and the ventral ballast tank. After about 15 minutes of tooling around the seafloor I ran out of power.

I'm now about 30 minutes in and I'm finding that with the big spotlights off and at ~12% throttle I'm barely generating enough power to charge the on-board battery.

If you're planning on using the pod reactor as the sole power generating system, you might want to up the juice output a bit. Or maybe consider adding an inline auxiliary reactor for bigger subs with more parts, engines, etc.

I'm doing just fine with four radial impellers and the inline impeller all on the same sub.

Anyway, something I'd like to see would be some submarine docking ports, and some surface attachable sub-RSC.

Hello RoverDude,

obviously this mod, like almost all your mods and plugins for Windows and KSP in 64bit mode can not be run. Would be very friendly if you could mention that in the post.
Beautifully modeled parts and fine textures. Too bad that the mod is not working.

Greetings and a happy Christmas time.

Looks awesome!

So far, I haven't managed to create a controllable sub, but that's only a matter of time.

Also, I built a craft similar to the one in the title screenshot- with the addition of four landing legs and a extra spotlight- and go it safely to the bottom of the ocean. Unfortunately, blowing all the ballast caused it to remain there. What did I mess up?

Edited by AlbertKermin

1 hour ago, Denko666 said:

AWESOME!!

Roverdude, would you be open to sharing the 3D models of this sub? I'm a Model RC submarine maker, i think this would make an excellent 3D printed sub...

Do you know there exists a script to import whole crafts into blender, using the model files from the game?

This is what I used in my own 3D printing project:

Edited by pellinor

1 hour ago, AlbertKermin said:

Looks awesome!

So far, I haven't managed to create a controllable sub, but that's only a matter of time.

Also, I built a craft similar to the one in the title screenshot- with the addition of four landing legs and a extra spotlight- and go it safely to the bottom of the ocean. Unfortunately, blowing all the ballast caused it to remain there. What did I mess up?

You need to remove the lead weights either in the VAB or by jettisoning, then tweak the ballast values to bring in/pump out water till you hit equilibrium.  It's a lot of experimentation.  For the sub up there, I left the 50 lead only in the little adapter bit, and have the rear ballast tanks at 0% and the front ones at 61%

1 hour ago, Denko666 said:

AWESOME!!

Roverdude, would you be open to sharing the 3D models of this sub? I'm a Model RC submarine maker, i think this would make an excellent 3D printed sub...

I generally don't share the model source files, but you're free to use the mu's for whatever you like (including 3D printing).

39 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

You need to remove the lead weights either in the VAB or by jettisoning, then tweak the ballast values to bring in/pump out water till you hit equilibrium.  It's a lot of experimentation.  For the sub up there, I left the 50 lead only in the little adapter bit, and have the rear ballast tanks at 0% and the front ones at 61%

I generally don't share the model source files, but you're free to use the mu's for whatever you like (including 3D printing).

Cool Roverdude THX!

Hi Roverdude! Nice looking mod. I'm just trying to fix up the kerbalstuff ckan submission, and I note that USITools 0.5.5.0 in included in the mod, which hasn't been released on Github yet. Are you planning on holding USITools-0.5.5.0 until you are moving this from WIP to Stable?