I'm Stuck Orbiting Kerbin!!

MikeyLavender

1 hour ago, 322997am said:

Engines tend to suck up a lot of heat before exploding. You can try to use your engine as a heat shield.

Yeah, and though his limited fuel and lack of a parachute make it a problem in this case, many engines can actually get cooler in atmosphere when under thrust (because they are pushing heat away from themselves.)  I have seen my own engines build up reentry heat to nearly intolerable thresholds, then fire the engines and rapidly shed some of that heat.  

6 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

Yeah, and though his limited fuel and lack of a parachute make it a problem in this case, many engines can actually get cooler in atmosphere when under thrust (because they are pushing heat away from themselves.)  I have seen my own engines build up reentry heat to nearly intolerable thresholds, then fire the engines and rapidly shed some of that heat.  

Rhinos are really good for heat management. It managed to save me when I forgot a heat shield when going from lko.

22 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

If I read that right, it sounds like regenerative cooling is working faster than the burn heats up, in fact so much faster that it's stealing reentry heat from the engines?? Whoa, that's engineering!

6 hours ago, monstah said:

If I read that right, it sounds like regenerative cooling is working faster than the burn heats up, in fact so much faster that it's stealing reentry heat from the engines?? Whoa, that's engineering!

For all I know, the engines have built-in coolant dispersal systems that only kick in when the engine is under power.  

Or, you know, it could be a quirk of the way the heating system interacts between surface-heat, internal heat, and how the convection of heating and cooling works.  :P

okay that engine shpuld be good enough for a heatshield.(from what I read above)

DO NOT decouple ANYTHING. burn retrograde untill apo / peri is close to 40km ish then contine facing retro. when the reentry flames start keep holding retrograde.

after that when the flames subside and you are still a distance to the ground, EVA,press R and face your Kerbals helmet to the ground ( left click and hold it drag it around). then press and hold ctrl. your jetpack jets should fire downwards. and you are upside down. and nail the landing ;) 

Edited by Joshwoo69

7 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

For all I know, the engines have built-in coolant dispersal systems that only kick in when the engine is under power.  

Or, you know, it could be a quirk of the way the heating system interacts between surface-heat, internal heat, and how the convection of heating and cooling works.  :P

Some IRL engines do run fuel through channels in the nozzle to cool it before feeding the fuel into the combustion chamber. It was actually a discussion item when the first images of the Iranian SLV where coming public. There was speculation about whether Iran was technically capable of producing such nozzles and whether certain grooves in the nozzle implied presence of just such a system.

9 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

As they (at least some) do in real life, sure, but as far as I know it can only do so much as keep the nozzles from not heating enough to melt from their own exhaustion; I'd never figure Kerbals could engineer such an effective cooling system that uses burning fuel to deal with external heat!!

5 hours ago, monstah said:

As they (at least some) do in real life, sure, but as far as I know it can only do so much as keep the nozzles from not heating enough to melt from their own exhaustion; I'd never figure Kerbals could engineer such an effective cooling system that uses burning fuel to deal with external heat!!

Somehow using rocket engine exhaust as a cooling mechanism strikes me as an incredibly Kerbal solution to engineering problems.

14 hours ago, Sirine said:

OP was lost in re-entry? He never come back to tell us.:lol:

Yes, I worry about our young MikeyLavender.  He has a promising career as a mission manager ahead of him if he can successfully navigate his team through this crisis.

I think this is what's called a 'Cliff Hanger'...

ML:   I'm stuck in orbit. Help....

Forum:  Try this, or this, or this...  Good luck Mikey, you can make it.

ML:    Thanks guys, I'll try. (gulp) If I don't make it home....  Remember... I loved this job...

Cue dramatic episode ending music...

....And the whole world waits, and hopes they find the budget to make episode 2.

12 minutes ago, pandaman said:

I think this is what's called a 'Cliff Hanger'...

ML:   I'm stuck in orbit. Help....

Forum:  Try this, or this, or this...  Good luck Mikey, you can make it.

ML:    Thanks guys, I'll try. (gulp) If I don't make it home....  Remember... I loved this job...

Cue dramatic episode ending music...

....And the whole world waits, and hopes they find the budget to make episode 2.

Just like the ending of ALF. ;.;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.