"Homesick": my favorite screenshot ever

AbacusWizard

Nice--I'm also reminded of an Arthur C. Clarke story (I think it's called "Birthright"?) about a father taking his young son out of the underground moon colony in a rover for the first time, driving out over the horizon, and showing him--for the first time in his life--Earth. Then it turns into even more of a tear-jerker when he tells the kid that someday, when the radiation dies down, maybe he or his children or his grandchildren might go back and re-colonize it. ;.;

On 12/24/2015 at 3:42 AM, AbacusWizard said:

Nice--I'm also reminded of an Arthur C. Clarke story (I think it's called "Birthright"?) about a father taking his young son out of the underground moon colony in a rover for the first time, driving out over the horizon, and showing him--for the first time in his life--Earth. Then it turns into even more of a tear-jerker when he tells the kid that someday, when the radiation dies down, maybe he or his children or his grandchildren might go back and re-colonize it. ;.;

I read that in English class; it's called "If I Forget Thee, O Earth..."

It is a really good story.

On 12/27/2015 at 8:22 AM, Planetfall said:

That's a good picture, makes you feel bad about Leaving Jeb in orbit for 14+ years. Did you make it? If so well done.

Thanks--I find the old "Earthrise" photo very inspiring and wanted to incorporate that general idea into a picture that captures the loneliness of being that far away from home. The tricky part (because of tidal locking) was finding a landing zone where Kerbin would be at a nice-looking angle above the horizon. After landing I realized there was a big crater nearby and figured that would be a nice foreground. I like the way it turned out.
600px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

Edited by AbacusWizard

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.