Mun and back as light as you can

Ericwi

*edit*

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/LightMunarLander

Mission complete. This can definitely be improved upon. I didn't use the most efficient engines or tank arrangements on the upper stages. And of course you could get fancy with cargo bays and command chairs. I opted not to do that because it feels "cheaty".

Best,

-Slashy

46 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

*edit*

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/KSP/LightMunarLander

Mission complete. This can definitely be improved upon. I didn't use the most efficient engines or tank arrangements on the upper stages. And of course you could get fancy with cargo bays and command chairs. I opted not to do that because it feels "cheaty".

Best,

-Slashy

Did you do a direct Munar injection or circularize your Kerbin orbit and then do an insertion burn? Also have you tried using IMGUR for photos? Your photobucket has the order all screwed up.

Edited by Kokanee

3 minutes ago, Kokanee said:

Did you do a direct Munar injection or circularize your Kerbin orbit and then do an insertion burn? Also have you tried using IMGUR for photos? Your photobucket has the order all screwed up.

Kokanee,

I circularized before TMI. I also used the TMI stage for munar circularization and deorbit burn. I used the lander stage for landing, return to Munar orbit, and TKI.

And yeah, Photobucket has it all jumbled and it's frustrating. I'll have to try imgur.

Best,

-Slashy

16 hours ago, Ericwi said:

As light as you can make it to Mun, plant a flag and get back home safely. Stock and Mechjab only. 

I did it with 124.4 tons

Can we get  a leaderboard for everyone who does it under a certain weight, organized by least weight to most? Say everyone under 60 tons? And a badge? (I can make if you like)

Edited by Kokanee

There and back in 5.94 tons (craft file). Given what day it is I was feeling generous and even threw in a pod for Jeb to re-enter in comfort (It was technically possible to re-enter using the ion shuttle alone but that felt a little exploity to me)

2BZmXzr.png

Highlight of the mission was Jeb repeatedly headbutting, erm precision nudging the pod using his EVA jetpack, in order to de-orbit after the ion shuttle's fuel ran out.

Apart from a concussion and some minor unimportant memory loss, such as his name, address and friend's faces, Jeb made it back unharmed.

Album for the truly dedicated

Surviving reentry in a command seat was harder in 1.0.5 than it used to be.  You have to have something to shield the kerbal with.  The wings was the lightest part that I could think of to do that with.  And they also meant that I did not need a chute. 

This wasn't intended as an absolutely minimalist mission, but it did run quite light considering Bill was protected from the elements on the Kerbin ascent and descent.  The video serves as a narrative, and I hope you will all enjoy.  It also completes another challenge here, but I would like to leave which one as a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaIvFzb8guA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

1 hour ago, EvermoreAlpaca said:

This wasn't intended as an absolutely minimalist mission, but it did run quite light considering Bill was protected from the elements on the Kerbin ascent and descent.  The video serves as a narrative, and I hope you will all enjoy.  It also completes another challenge here, but I would like to leave which one as a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaIvFzb8guA&feature=youtu.be

Stupid space bears!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.