[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sure thing.

Here is a logfile for the same install, started with OpenGL (I can't start it without OpenGL):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jwq9o720rzddgp/output_log-std.txt?dl=0

If you need me to drop a mod to test, let me know.

I had the same issue. When I removed the USI mods it worked fine! I think the issue is in 000_USITools/DynamicTanks

Any plans to let us add in exceptions for designated folders in a future update? For some reason the 3 man stock pod's textures "unloaded" for me even when I add it in the VAB or launch a rocket that uses it, but it works fine for every other part I try out, both with the other stock parts and parts from mods like Tantares or Near Future and SpaceY.

Other than that, the mod's quite excellent, and I can always try doing a Gemini or Soyuz mun landing when I get that far in my career save. Might as well branch off from the usual Apollo-esque ones I usually do.

Edited by Exposure

1 hour ago, Exposure said:

Any plans to let us add in exceptions for designated folders in a future update? For some reason the 3 man stock pod's textures "unloaded" for me even when I add it in the VAB or launch a rocket that uses it, but it works fine for every other part I try out, both with the other stock parts and parts from mods like Tantares or Near Future and SpaceY.

Other than that, the mod's quite excellent, and I can always try doing a Gemini or Soyuz mun landing when I get that far in my career save. Might as well branch off from the usual Apollo-esque ones I usually do.

What was the last version you were running? the last version (1.2) included a fix for something that sounds exactly like you are describing.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sure thing.

Here is a logfile for the same install, started with OpenGL (I can't start it without OpenGL):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jwq9o720rzddgp/output_log-std.txt?dl=0

If you need me to drop a mod to test, let me know.

1 hour ago, NajGeetsrev said:

I had the same issue. When I removed the USI mods it worked fine! I think the issue is in 000_USITools/DynamicTanks

Ah, I'll look into them.

I was rally curious about the power of this mod, so I tried to stress test it.

With this PC https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uvs0m1qnaoxigm/DxDiag.txt?dl=0  

and a clean KSP install, I tried to install the greater amount of mods I could. From heavy parts pack like B9, KW, Chaka, to graphic mod like Stock Visual Enhanchment HR (sadly KSPRC is too heavy for my GPU) an a lot of other utility mods.

First test was in DX9 and I couldn't get pass the loading screen. Tried with OPEN-GL and I had the same result. I removed a couple of mods and finally I was able to complete the loading. Incredibly, with this ridicolous amount of mods, the game is really smooth and responsive. I was able to launch a couple of craft, go back and forth from the editor to the flight without issues. In the past, with much less than that I would not be able to launch more than a ship without crappy performances and a heavy load of CTD.

My GameData folder is actually a little more than 1.51 Gb. Those are the mods installed:

http://i.imgur.com/wzwdO9Z.png

9vUGQ5O.png

So, the result is: if you can get through the initial loading, this mod will make your KSP runs great!!!

Thanks @rbray89

7 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I was rally curious about the power of this mod, so I tried to stress test it.

With this PC https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uvs0m1qnaoxigm/DxDiag.txt?dl=0  

and a clean KSP install, I tried to install the greater amount of mods I could. From heavy parts pack like B9, KW, Chaka, to graphic mod like Stock Visual Enhanchment HR (sadly KSPRC is too heavy for my GPU) an a lot of other utility mods.

First test was in DX9 and I couldn't get pass the loading screen. Tried with OPEN-GL and I had the same result. I removed a couple of mods and finally I was able to complete the loading. Incredibly, with this ridicolous amount of mods, the game is really smooth and responsive. I was able to launch a couple of craft, go back and forth from the editor to the flight without issues. In the past, with much less than that I would not be able to launch more than a ship without crappy performances and a heavy load of CTD.

My GameData folder is actually a little more than 1.51 Gb. Those are the mods installed:

http://i.imgur.com/wzwdO9Z.png

9vUGQ5O.png

So, the result is: if you can get through the initial loading, this mod will make your KSP runs great!!!

Thanks @rbray89

unless its crashing u have to wait once the loading icon to get ot main screen comes up.

more mods=longer time it takes.

rbray forgot to mention that it unloads the textures at the firsts loading screen before the main menu so that means it can take a very long time and some probaly think its not working.

roughly a 3gb data folder= around 10-15min extra load time to the sstart menu

Luckily less than 10 minutes are needed to load everything, and I will not use so many mods for a long time, also with Filter Extension is difficult to find the part you look for in the editor. It was just a test.

If this can make a similar amount of mods run, we almost don't need the 64 bit client :wink:

Now I have just to find a solution for KSPRC. The last work of Proot is a magnificient piece of art.

1 hour ago, sidfu said:

unless its crashing u have to wait once the loading icon to get ot main screen comes up.

more mods=longer time it takes.

rbray forgot to mention that it unloads the textures at the firsts loading screen before the main menu so that means it can take a very long time and some probaly think its not working.

roughly a 3gb data folder= around 10-15min extra load time to the sstart menu

The newest version (1.2) unloads textures as the parts are loaded, and after the first run, will unload them once the textures are loaded! This means the only instance it would crash is if there is literally no other way to run the game.

17 hours ago, Skalou said:

Are you planning to allow to choose the size of the compressed temporary texture in the future? i could find it great to have a better resolution, even if it save less memory, sometime it's hard to know what part is it in the VAB.

I answer a bit myself, i updated to the new version (1.2 on C-Kan)  and now it's much better, the icons seems to be 2x the resolution. (full resolution in the KSP settings for both version).

However i have a bug with the , J-X4 "whiplash" turbo ramjet engine and the J-404 "Panther" Afterburning Turbofan,

( i tryed 3x new install with full delete of the cache files)

their textures don't update to the high resolution when i select them in the VAB or in flight:

Spoiler

here is the log

Dropbox: KSP.log

FQatmXu.png

I am alone with this?

Edited by Skalou

38 minutes ago, Skalou said:

I answer a bit myself, i updated to the new version (1.2 on C-Kan)  and now it's much better, the icons seems to be 2x the resolution. (full resolution in the KSP settings for both version).

However i have a bug with the , J-X4 "whiplash" turbo ramjet engine and the J-404 "Panther" Afterburning Turbofan,

( i tryed 3x new install with full delete of the cache files)

their textures don't update to the high resolution when i select them in the VAB or in flight:

Hide contents

here is the log

Dropbox: KSP.log

FQatmXu.png

I am alone with this?

Me too

19 minutes ago, CaribouGone said:

Could someone explain the difference between what this does, and what Active Texture Management does?

ATM: Resizes and compresses textures. 

Dynamic Texture Loader: Only the textures for currently visible craft are loaded. 

Updated to new release. FIxed issue with certain jet engines, and changed to a mechanism that only unloads textures when new ones are requested. Should save time in loading and unloading between scenes/ships.

6 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Updated to new release. FIxed issue with certain jet engines, and changed to a mechanism that only unloads textures when new ones are requested. Should save time in loading and unloading between scenes/ships.

Does this fix the issue that I had earlier?

Just tried it again with the latest:

OpenGL,with mod:  2283 Mb, video card memory (2G) maxed out
Normal with mod:    3386Mb,  video card memory @ 629mb

So yes, the mod is saving some memory with the normal load (about 500 meg), but I would have expected a lot more, since the OpenGL version is showing that there is at least 2 gig of textures.

It doesn't seem to do much with the OpenGL startup for me, although it is improved from previously when it was 2300+.

What I'm going to do is to try to run a few missions with the normal load and see how it goes.  I'll be able to do that later and will let you know how it goes

@linuxgurugamer Be sure to test and report memory usage numbers without the mod so as to have a baseline to compare from.

Anyways, while it seems to help a little, it does nothing with the scene change memory leak as the memory usage is still going up as I play. Also, there is a huge lagspike whenever something explodes and I'm not sure it's helping enough to be worth dealing with the long load time of crafts and the lagspike when deleting a part is rather annoying.

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just tried it again with the latest:

OpenGL,with mod:  2283 Mb, video card memory (2G) maxed out
Normal with mod:    3386Mb,  video card memory @ 629mb

So yes, the mod is saving some memory with the normal load (about 500 meg), but I would have expected a lot more, since the OpenGL version is showing that there is at least 2 gig of textures.

It doesn't seem to do much with the OpenGL startup for me, although it is improved from previously when it was 2300+.

What I'm going to do is to try to run a few missions with the normal load and see how it goes.  I'll be able to do that later and will let you know how it goes

I'm not sure if this will address the issue... basically, I was only using one type of renderer to check, and missed some types. If there is a collision with another mod, I haven't found it yet.

9 minutes ago, smjjames said:

@linuxgurugamer Be sure to test and report memory usage numbers without the mod so as to have a baseline to compare from.

Anyways, while it seems to help a little, it does nothing with the scene change memory leak as the memory usage is still going up as I play. Also, there is a huge lagspike whenever something explodes and I'm not sure it's helping enough to be worth dealing with the long load time of crafts and the lagspike when deleting a part is rather annoying.

Are you using the latest release? There shouldn't be lag during flight from deleted (exploded) parts. There also shouldn't be lag when deleting a part until later when a new part is added.

@rbray89 If you could reduce the lag/load time when launching a new craft, explosions, and deleting parts in the editor, that would be great. Also, it may be exacerbating the existing memory leaks, I don't know.

9 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

I'm not sure if this will address the issue... basically, I was only using one type of renderer to check, and missed some types. If there is a collision with another mod, I haven't found it yet.

Are you using the latest release? There shouldn't be lag during flight from deleted (exploded) parts. There also shouldn't be lag when deleting a part until later when a new part is added.

Oh, I didn't realize there was a new release, KSP-AVC didn't say that there was a new one.

12 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Ummm, I did, earlier re. reporting memory usage.

I am using the latest release, I just downloaded it.

And, I haven't flown with it yet, so I have no idea about deleted/exploded parts.

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

And, I haven't flown with it yet, so I have no idea about deleted/exploded parts.

He was asking me as far as using the latest. I was actually using 1.2, I downloaded and installed 1.3 several minutes ago.

Also, @rbray89, you should add a cache or something, that way the slow loading times only happen on first load (which is how ATM did it) and could probably help with the lag time in general.

Edited by smjjames

26 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That comment was directed at the other person I quoted. :) The forum auto-merges two replies into one now.

24 minutes ago, smjjames said:

He was asking me as far as using the latest. I was actually using 1.2, I downloaded and installed 1.3 several minutes ago.

Also, @rbray89, you should add a cache or something, that way the slow loading times only happen on first load (which is how ATM did it) and could probably help with the lag time in general.

It does cache. We cache the small textures so that unloading is much faster. We don't cache the regular sized textures, though we probably could do that too... though it'd take up a lot of memory.

Edited by rbray89