[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

I have a question. Why does memory usage increases by a small amount whenever I revert a flight or tab out/in ( later not always the case ). I mean the game does use the same textures. Is unity really this unefficient?

2 minutes ago, Denco said:

I have a question. Why does memory usage increases by a small amount whenever I revert a flight or tab out/in ( later not always the case ). I mean the game does use the same textures. Is unity really this unefficient?

The revert flight thing is the scene change memory leak I think. As for the tab out/in, I haven't noticed that one.

5 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

Try removing ATM first. I think we now conflict with it.

You all wouldn't happen to have logs when you don't use DTL? I'm having a hard time figuring out what are normal exceptions and what are errors.

Want me to give an output log without DTL? I just checked and the IR model rework parts are fine without it.

2 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Try removing ATM first. I think we now conflict with it.

You all wouldn't happen to have logs when you don't use DTL? I'm having a hard time figuring out what are normal exceptions and what are errors.

Yepp, got one for you.
Same as before without DTL.
It's named KSP2.log
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D3A4ABEE97B1FC60!891&authkey=!AKyQuA6IGBpef6I&ithint=file%2clog

Edited by HansB
other check

Hopefully you can fix the black textures for IR model rework.

Also, minor thing, whenever an asteroid leaves physics loading range, DTL gives this exception:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: key
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[DynamicTextureLoader.TexRefCnt]].ContainsKey (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DynamicTextureLoader.TextureUnloaderPartModule.Unload (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DynamicTextureLoader.TextureUnloaderPartModule.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Seems pretty harmless though. I guess since asteroids are technically a part, it might do something wierd for them.

4 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Hopefully you can fix the black textures for IR model rework.

Also, minor thing, whenever an asteroid leaves physics loading range, DTL gives this exception:

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Parameter name: key
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.Collections.Generic.List`1[DynamicTextureLoader.TexRefCnt]].ContainsKey (System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DynamicTextureLoader.TextureUnloaderPartModule.Unload (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at DynamicTextureLoader.TextureUnloaderPartModule.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Seems pretty harmless though. I guess since asteroids are technically a part, it might do something wierd for them.

Huh... An asteroid is a part... I'll have to add an exception for those then. 

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

Should fix issues with those who continue to use ATM and shouldn't be : https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.4.2

Still investigating the other reported issues.

Whatever you did here has resolved my problem.  I was hanging up with or without ATM installed, but now it's all good.  Thanks!

Oke, little info.
after the test yesterday I installed AMT and DTL (from the Github) new. Running the game, I noticed ATM didn't make his textureCache. The Ram reduction was oke.
So I removed DTL, ran the game, ATM made its cache and the game was using more memory.
Installing DTL and mem reduction was better. again.

Edited by HansB

5 hours ago, HansB said:

Oke, little info.
after the test yesterday I installed AMT and DTL (from the Github) new. Running the game, I noticed ATM didn't make his textureCache. The Ram reduction was oke.
So I removed DTL, ran the game, ATM made its cache and the game was using more memory.
Installing DTL and mem reduction was better. again.

There is no real "good" way to make ATM and DTL compatable. Given that in nearly all cases DTL will outperform ATM in both memory reduction AND graphics appearance, I decided it would be best simply for DTL to disable ATM.

Just now, smjjames said:

@rbray89 What about the problems going on with IR model rework and SpaceY expanded? I guess you can ask Zodiusinfuser and NecroBones  respectively about it if needed.

I fetched spaceY via CKAN (the IR rework I had to download seperately) and using https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.4.3 I could see no issues. Try it out, and see if it works for you, but if it doesn't, then there is something else wrong somewhere.

10 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

I fetched spaceY via CKAN (the IR rework I had to download seperately) and using https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.4.3 I could see no issues. Try it out, and see if it works for you, but if it doesn't, then there is something else wrong somewhere.

Yeah it's fixed now with that version.

Also, you STILL need to version number your downloadable files! come on. ;)

5 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Yeah it's fixed now with that version.

Also, you STILL need to version number your downloadable files! come on. ;)

It takes too much time and can be very error-prone. :) Awesome! I'll upload it now then :)

This mod is awesome btw!  Thanks for all your hard work.

I found a couple of icons that don't draw when I use DTL (tested with 1.4.3).

Some of my contracts don't show their icon.  It looks like it's some of the stock contracts as well as contracts from "Contract Pack: Field Research".  Also, the remote tech "flight computer" button and the remote tech "see what all your dishes are aimed at" button.

2 minutes ago, Cletis said:

This mod is awesome btw!  Thanks for all your hard work.

I found a couple of icons that don't draw when I use DTL (tested with 1.4.3).

Some of my contracts don't show their icon.  It looks like it's some of the stock contracts as well as contracts from "Contract Pack: Field Research".  Also, the remote tech "flight computer" button and the remote tech "see what all your dishes are aimed at" button.

Was this an update from a previous version? If so I'd recommend deleting the texture cache.

1 hour ago, rbray89 said:

Was this an update from a previous version? If so I'd recommend deleting the texture cache.

It was an update from a previous version.  I deleted folders named "scaledTexCache" and "TexCache" from the "GameData\DynamicTextureLoader\Plugins\" folder.  It did not fix the problem.

Anything else I should try?

I've been watching this with interest.  Here are some results using the latest version:

Startup menu Space Center Into MI and back to main menu
DTL-DirectX 3252 3557 3922
OpenGL 2317 2548 2868
DirectX 3758 3972 3988

So, at least for heavily moddel installs, OpenGL is still the best way to go

6 hours ago, Cletis said:

It was an update from a previous version.  I deleted folders named "scaledTexCache" and "TexCache" from the "GameData\DynamicTextureLoader\Plugins\" folder.  It did not fix the problem.

Anything else I should try?

This should work for you: https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.4.4

29 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

That fixed the missing icons for the contracts, but not the missing Remote Tech icons.  I deleted the caches again just in case, but it still didn't work.  Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks again for the awesome mod.  The game is so much more playable with mods now!

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been watching this with interest.  Here are some results using the latest version:

Startup menu Space Center Into MI and back to main menu
DTL-DirectX 3252 3557 3922
OpenGL 2317 2548 2868
DirectX 3758 3972 3988

So, at least for heavily moddel installs, OpenGL is still the best way to go

Did you try it with DTL+OpenGL? Because it does help, not by a huge amount, but enough to make a difference.