[1.1][1.1-1] Apr-19-2016 Dynamic Texture Loader

rbray89

11 hours ago, Cletis said:

That fixed the missing icons for the contracts, but not the missing Remote Tech icons.  I deleted the caches again just in case, but it still didn't work.  Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks again for the awesome mod.  The game is so much more playable with mods now!

This should work now: https://github.com/rbray89/DynamicTextureLoader/releases/tag/DTL-1.4.5

Greetings @rbray89! First, let me express my appreciation for the time and knowledge expended in the creation of this mod! 

Having said that, I am having an issue since installing it. To be fair, I am not sure if this mod is causing the issue or not, but I had not seen it before installing it. Basically, at times when I revert to vehicle assembly, the screen I am returned to appears like this:

cu1sxHX.png

The camera can't be rotated, ships parts can't be built, the ship can't be seen. After this happens, if I exit the VAB and then return to it it will usually be fine again.

Any thoughts on this? For reference, this is my mod list: KjQ4cli.png

I am also running KSPRC.

I'm not sure what info is helpful so here is a DXDIAG with my machine specs as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4lwbevxzfkmaeu/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Edit: Additionally, it seems since installing this mod, significant lag has been introduced to the game. Even after a new vehicle appears on the launch pad, I'll launch it and throughout the entire launch the lag is significant. It doesn't seem to abate much in orbit either. 

Edited by Bandus

5 hours ago, Cletis said:

I spoke too soon.  After playing for a little while, the Remote Tech icons go away.

So It seems this is actually a Remote tech issue that was exacerbated by DTL. Basically, DTL was freeing resources using Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets(); and it seems that Remote Tech is letting them go at some point or not holding them properly. Any thoughts on this @Peppie23?

3 hours ago, Bandus said:

Greetings @rbray89! First, let me express my appreciation for the time and knowledge expended in the creation of this mod! 

Having said that, I am having an issue since installing it. To be fair, I am not sure if this mod is causing the issue or not, but I had not seen it before installing it. Basically, at times when I revert to vehicle assembly, the screen I am returned to appears like this:

cu1sxHX.png

The camera can't be rotated, ships parts can't be built, the ship can't be seen. After this happens, if I exit the VAB and then return to it it will usually be fine again.

I am also running KSPRC.

I'm not sure what info is helpful so here is a DXDIAG with my machine specs as well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4lwbevxzfkmaeu/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Edit: Additionally, it seems since installing this mod, significant lag has been introduced to the game. Even after a new vehicle appears on the launch pad, I'll launch it and throughout the entire launch the lag is significant. It doesn't seem to abate much in orbit either. 

Seen this before, but couldn't think of a reason why this mod would cause the problem. Looking into it now.

4 hours ago, Bandus said:

cu1sxHX.png

I am also running KSPRC.

I removed DTL and while it wasn't that often, it still happened. It is either a stock bug or another mod is causing it.

I had that issue as well it was solved by removing Eve, I installed KSPRC but the overheads where to high to run so I removed all the KSPRC folders except for EVE missed that one, I encountered the above  problem after removing EVE Folder problem went away 

Edited by Virtualgenius

^^

I'm gonna take a long shot, and guess you'll notice immediate improvement with the lag as soon as you uninstall EVE... If EVE was causing issues with the camera in the VAB, I bet it does it in-flight as well...Just differently... You could try installing Exception Detector really quick, and see if anything is throwing exceptions... I bet you'll see something IS... Constantly throwing exceptions can cause the lag you describe...

EDIT: Wait... I just looked closer at your mod list... You dont appear to have EVE installed... ??
If not, its probably one of the mods that affects camera views, or textures... So I would guess:

DOE

one of the Kopernicus mods

PlanetShine

or Texture Replacer as 1st choices of culprit...

Hopefully someone who knows better will chime in if I'm way off...

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Virtualgenius said:

I had that issue as well it was solved by removing Eve, I installed KSPRC but the overheads where to high to run so I removed all the KSPRC folders except for EVE missed that one, I encountered the above  problem after removing EVE Folder problem went away 

44 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

^^

I'm gonna take a long shot, and guess you'll notice immediate improvement with the lag as soon as you uninstall EVE... If EVE was causing issues with the camera in the VAB, I bet it does it in-flight as well...Just differently... You could try installing Exception Detector really quick, and see if anything is throwing exceptions... I bet you'll see something IS... Constantly throwing exceptions can cause the lag you describe...

Uninstalled EVE. The lag issue and returning to the VAB are resolved immediately. Thank you both! I'll take the issue over to EVE's thread. 

@Stone Blue It was installed as part of KSPRC so it does not show in CKAN. EVE was installed. :)

Edited by Bandus

@rbray89This is working fantastic for me I have 76 mods running on DX9 I was previously using opengl without much change but on DX9 makes a huge difference i have 50+ frames a second sitting in the VAB and Windows 10 is telling me my memory is around 2.5gb usage so very happy. 

Thankyou once again Rbray for your dedication and time to improve my game experience 

@rbray89 I'm just letting you know that I've been getting an about 10-15 framerate drop from 22-24 (which is normal FPS for me) with large/complex ships while in flight when I have DTL installed. Any idea what would be causing that?

Edit: nvm, seems fixed in 1.5 (you really need to version number the zip files which are downloaded at the very least).

Edited by smjjames

12 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

What's the difference between this and ATM?

DTL:

On 12/26/2015 at 3:45 AM, rbray89 said:

Without sacrificing parts or texture quality, this mod unloads and loads textures on the fly! Increase texture resolution to max again!

ATM:

On 11/20/2013 at 2:37 PM, rbray89 said:

This is a simple mod to reduce texture memory use by compressing/resizing them to DXT1 & DXT5. This performs the compression to as many textures as possible on game load.

On 1/4/2016 at 9:36 PM, rbray89 said:

I removed DTL and while it wasn't that often, it still happened. It is either a stock bug or another mod is causing it.

Is this the same as the camera lockup at save load (at KSC)? I get that regularly (even before DTL), but never the VAB one. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/123145-kerbal-space-center-camera-stuck-when-loading-save/

I don't have EVE installed, but the workaround for the KSC camera bug is to go into the debug menu and clear the input stack. Try that maybe.

As it is, DTL isn't helping me too much. I still get crashes, and worse, SAS stops working when I'm at the RAM limit. ATM, while not looking good, lets me play longer before having issues. I did switch to DX11 mode, didn't help. I haven't tried OpenGL mode, but I'll try this after updating to 1.5.

Edited by Phoenix84

Ok,saw that 1.5 was out, so I'm doing my normal three tests

Startup Menu Space Center Into VAB and out again
DTL, normal startup 3196 3604 crash
DTL + OpenGL 2293 2641 3959
OpenGL 2334 2609 3299

FYI, I'm loading an existing career which already has a  number of ships

OpenGL still wins

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok,saw that 1.5 was out, so I'm doing my normal three tests

Startup Menu Space Center Into VAB and out again
DTL, normal startup 3196 3604 crash
DTL + OpenGL 2293 2641 3959
OpenGL 2334 2609 3299

FYI, I'm loading an existing career which already has a  number of ships

OpenGL still wins

Your mod load is like twice as high as mine though and for me, it does help a little, so, it probably varies by mod load somewhat.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Your mod load is like twice as high as mine though and for me, it does help a little, so, it probably varies by mod load somewhat.

I realize that.  Basicly, this mod saves video memory, not necessarily RAM.  It probably is very helpful for  people who aren't quite as modded as I am

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I realize that.  Basicly, this mod saves video memory, not necessarily RAM.  It probably is very helpful for  people who aren't quite as modded as I am

It saves video memory on GL and DX11 platforms. DX9 still uses app memory for whatever stupid reason instead of graphics memory for textures. 

Keep in mind that on certain systems (especially laptops) that graphics and system memory is shared. This means if you have say 6GB of memory, 2 may be reserved for graphics, the rest for system. That means you still want to conserve as much memory (graphics or otherwise) as you can. This mod isn't intended for those with 16GB of system memory and 4GB of graphics memory. This is targeted at people who have little to no graphics memory, and limited system memory once the OS and other apps are up. Moreso when running with lots of part mods.

@rbray89 I'm getting those FPS drops again while in flight that I reported earlier. Not sure whether it has to do with reverting flight or the RAM getting filled up or what.

edit: After a restart of the game (RAM usage was at 3.4something GB ), it went away, so, maybe something with high ram usage??

Edited by smjjames