Do You Consider MechJeb Cheating?

Whovian41110

11 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

Most real rockets are flown entirely by internal guidance computers.  I am a new player of KSP and the only way I can get things in an even partially similar orbit is with MechJeb.  Would that be considered cheating?  

In the strictest sense, no, because

Most real rockets are flown entirely by internal guidance computers.

However, if you are using it as a crutch, you're cheating yourself.

That said, I use it extensively to do all the things I'm just plain tired of doing, and it has without a doubt extended the life of KSP for me.

P.S. - Poopstorm indicator predicts a 65% chance this thread will die in flames.

Edited by Randazzo

Oh gods not again :/ Not again this thread and this stupid question

I am a new player of KSP

And you don't even bother with using search before asking? It seems that this was discussed dozens of times. Here you are: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127403-frequent-questions-and-their-obvious-answers/#comment-2315497

8 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

So if I just use ascent guidance rather than autopilot that would be better?

I was just saying not to rely on it to the point that you can't do things yourself. And really, my opinion doesn't matter. Only yours does.

7 minutes ago, TeddyDD said:

Oh gods not again :/ Not again this thread and this stupid question

And you don't even bother with using search before asking? It seems that this was discussed dozens of times. Here you are: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127403-frequent-questions-and-their-obvious-answers/#comment-2315497

Hey wow, that thread has a douchebaggy title if I've ever seen one. I can't imagine why it's not just drawing new players in by the dozens!

Edited by Randazzo

Even though I don't use it, I consider that MechJeb is not cheating, and my personal opinion is that you should try to learn getting to orbit, docking... before/while using MJ.

Some people use it because then find it annoying to orbit the same rocket a thousand times; other to learn as they watch. But always using MJ and never learning basics is not a good thing (personal opinion, bla-bla-bla...)

Also, as others said, this has been asked and debated a lot before, often ending in flames. Please try to do quick searches before asking this type of question, even if the forum search feature is not that good (yes this is an euphemism).

Edited by Gaarst

I legitimately consider any mod cheating, and people here get super buttflustered about it. I am a stock purist. I can see MAYBE allowing graphics mods, but thats like the difference between Orthodoxy and Protestantism. 

Do not tweak the gameplay as squad has created it.

3 minutes ago, r4pt0r said:

I legitimately consider any mod cheating, and people here get super buttflustered about it. I am a stock purist. I can see MAYBE allowing graphics mods, but thats like the difference between Orthodoxy and Protestantism. 

Squad supports the modding community, hires consultants from it, has a "Get Mods!" tab on the official forums, and has released two official mods.

Everybody is entitled to play the way they want, but labeling others is when the problems start arising.

P.S. - I'm not saying you're labeling anybody, just addressing that buttflustered part. Great word too.

2 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

I rebel against your opinion and download all the mods.

Edited by klgraham1013

2 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

Fair, hadn't meant to. My only point was that people get really offended when you call them out on their flagrant cheating.

I get where you're coming from.  Any modification to the game rules could be seen as cheating.  Though, one is still allowed to think those game rules are bad, and modify them to their liking.  House rules have been a thing in my tabletop gaming since I was a kid.

Edited by klgraham1013

The only cheating is if you cheat yourself out of enjoyment of the game. If MJ makes the game more enjoyable for you then you do yourself a disservice by not using it, if it makes it less enjoyable then you shouldn't use it.

Basically, play the game how you like, nobody cares if you are "cheating".

So when I have a craft that needs 1 hour burns? mechjeb

Docking/undocking 5-6 times in a single sitting? you better believe mechjeb

easy maneuver window planning and plotting? mechjeb

Im not doing calculus or spending 45 minutes to refuel a 4k fund lander if I dont have to. 

its like asking if using a calculator in math is cheating..........its useless if you dont understand the concepts and if you understand the concepts then the actual computation or execution is superfluous.

4 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

Huh. I never considered this side of the argument. Following your reasoning then - anytime we, Homo sapiens use the fire, tools or clothing we are..."cheating"? Because sure as Kraken my pants, microwave and drink in the glass are not "stock" as you seem to define it.

4 hours ago, r4pt0r said:

Ok.  For yourself, using mods is "cheating".  For others, using mod is enjoying the game.  I would agree that some mods do unbalance the game, but after all, this IS a game.  You aren't competing against anybody else.

It would be cheating if you were in a competition which disallowed mods.  But when playing by yourself, the idea is to enjoy yourself, and maybe learn something

KSP is a great sandbox, but it does have some holes.  For example, Kerbal Engineer Redux doesn't change the gameplay at all, but gives you information which is missing from the stock game.

I remember when I first started playing.  I had countless launches trying to get to orbit, and I still remember my first successful launch which had about 50 or so SRBs.  Wildly inefficient, and if I had known about Dv and what was needed to get to orbit, it would have been much simpler.

Speaking for myself, both as a player AND a modder

Linuxgurugamer

It's probably best to stay away from that topic. The community has gotten into many an argument and frankly are tired of hearing the question.

The answer: It's up to you. It's a sandbox game. Play how you want to play. You set the rules. Me? I always play stock when accomplishing milestones like planets, stations, etc... Otherwise I feel like I am cheating.

I went and bought a computer that matches the recommended KSP system specs JUST to play KSP on, so that I wouldnt be cheating... Any thing more than an:

i5 CPU

GPU with more than 1GB VRAM

4GB system RAM

2GB HDD

would make the game too easy...

Do you KNOW how hard it is to find a NEW computer with these specs?... I had to replace the "stock" 8GB RAM and graphics card with some OLD ones I had laying around....(Good Lord...Now I guess I'm a "computer-cheater"!).... And I couldnt even find an old IDE hardrive that was only 2GB, so I had to improvise that part, and partition the 500GB down to 22GB (20GB for Win8.1, 2GB for KSP), and leave the rest unformatted...

But, whew!... At least I'm not cheating at KSP... :D

It's like using a calculator. If you understand the concept of addition, you don't need to do it manually all the time. Just do it manually every once in a while, or you'll end up like me-I'm learning math 2-3 years past my grade level, but two-digit multiplication? Nope, too hard :P

A dead horse! Quick, let's beat it!

Nothing is cheating in KSP, but if you wish to actually get a "feel" for simple orbital mechanics, then as randazzo said above, you are cheating yourself of that knowledge. 

Hell - while this thread is still extant, allow me to add to my heresy: Flying rockets is the part of KSP I enjoy the least. I would much rather have a computer fly my design on a perfect trajectory and get it into the orbit I want, with the flaws arising from deficiencies in design, rather than piloting.