The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (Continued)

Claw

Sorry for the slow replies. I've been on travel so it was hard to write much.

On 1/3/2016 at 6:16 AM, Azimech said:

if you can be bothered, I would like both my results changed from "mods" to "stock"

Hey Azimech. I'm fine either way, but like Thalamask said, I'm also trying to figure out how to tag things that keeps everyone happy, but also captures the essence of what was accomplished. Right now I think I will add a third category.

So the breakdown will likely be something like this. These rules apply during the duration of the attempt.

• Stock: Used no mods for the duration of the record flight from takeoff to completion. Mods can be used before the mission begins (such as using KER for design, HyperEdit for testing, etc), but no mods of any kind used during the record flight.
  • Stock Craft: The craft and all support craft are still flyable "as is" on a pure stock install. Acceptable types of mods such as autopilots, transfer window planers, data displays, or visual enhancements. Mods that add parts or change physics are NOT included in this category.
  • Modded: Mods that don't violate the spirit of completing the mission are permitted. Acceptable types of mods are those that add parts or change physics within the realm of near-term technologies (i.e. don't claim that HyperEdit is just a wormhole generator). Mods that allow users to skip elements of the challenge or violate the spirit of circumnavigating a body are NOT included in this category (such as HyperEditing around the planet, editing in fuel, save file edits, etc...
On 1/4/2016 at 2:05 PM, Aslad said:

Oh... no I probably should xD 

Sorry

No worries. Everyone does it a little different. :)

33 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Do any of you guys have tips for Eve

I don't, as I haven't done that one yet. It'll likely be lower on my list, but that's undecided yet. So when you get there, leave me some good tips!

On 1/5/2016 at 9:08 PM, Dfthu said:

I finished this challenge. It was pretty fun to do.

I forgot to mention, I added you to the list yesterday. Congradulations! And again, that ship was mighty impressive looking. :)

1 hour ago, Thalamask said:

How's Tylo going

I've been busy, unfortunately. The Iron Narcissus (mothership) is in orbit and the rover has landed (mostly) intact with one of the crew. I still need to bring down the crew recovery vehicle, which will carry down the second crew member. I just haven't had time over the last week to continue.

I clearly wasn't paying attention, because I forgot to update your Vall entry. I will look it over tonight. :)

18 hours ago, Dfthu said:

All a person has do to is circumnavigate both planets, right?

Originally I thought it was for those who circumnavigated everything. But looking back at how Fengist had it structured, it looks like it's just for circumnavigating Kerbin and Eve. I thought it was the "elite" badge, but I think maybe it's supposed to be the corollary to the master mariner badge.

13 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Does anybody have tips for crossing the waters of Eve? Plz? Any mod for it (wow, that's an old joke to me)?

Did I inspire you do a Eve Circumnavigation SpaceplaneAddict? I cant help you with that because im  just driving..

Anyways I got this form the wiki "Eve's oceans now have a density of 1.5 tonnes/m3, while water has a density of 1.0 tonnes/m3." 

Are you doing a equator Circumnavigation or what? Because the oceans don't wrap around Eve.

EDIT: Crap. I used a old map. Turns out it does wrap around, sorry.

Edited by Dfthu

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Does anybody have tips for crossing the waters of Eve? Plz? Any mod for it (wow, that's an old joke to me)?

Well i have been imagining using a narrow band scanner, and paddle wheels as a stock method, however, for mods fenghist's boat mod would probably be the best idea, as I believe he completed it using his ship mod

34 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Well i have been imagining using a narrow band scanner, and paddle wheels as a stock method, however, for mods fenghist's boat mod would probably be the best idea, as I believe he completed it using his ship mod

Fenghist left and never updated the boat pack. 1.0.5 Broke it. That's why we have this new topic.

Edited by Dfthu

9 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Dfthu, you were my motivation. The inspiration came when I saw that no one had the Planetary Circumnavigator badge.

I think i might steal that before you. I already done kerbin and about 1/8 on Eve now. But we can be the two people on the list.

@Claw I just started an equatorial circumnavigation of Kerbin and I'm about 1/6 of the way around (0 deg N, 12 deg W).  Which Kerbin badge will I earn when I complete the circumnavigation?  By running the equator I will cover roughly half the distance by land and half by water.

Here's my progress thread:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129651-elcano-challenge-with-rocketengineer1982-kerbin-circumnavigation/

Edited by rocketengineer1982

33 minutes ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

@Claw I just started an equatorial circumnavigation of Kerbin and I'm about 1/6 of the way around (0 deg N, 12 deg W).  Which Kerbin badge will I earn when I complete the circumnavigation?  By running the equator I will cover roughly half the distance by land and half by water.

Here's my progress thread:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129651-elcano-challenge-with-rocketengineer1982-kerbin-circumnavigation/

I'd say whichever of the Kerbin circumnavigation badges you prefer... Since you're about 50:50, you should be allowed to pick whether you prefer the land or water circumnavigation badge.

2 hours ago, Thalamask said:

I'd say whichever of the Kerbin circumnavigation badges you prefer... Since you're about 50:50, you should be allowed to pick whether you prefer the land or water circumnavigation badge.

My understanding was that the water badge is only for circumnavigations done as much as possible by water. Hence there is no water badge for Eve, although I imagine a carefully planned route could also be about 50% wet running.

5 hours ago, rocketengineer1982 said:

Which Kerbin badge will I earn when I complete the circumnavigation?

That's a tough question. I'd say the default is the land nav badge. I went and measured, and it's virtually 50/50. I'd say generally speaking the maritime badge falls in line with the requirements for the Master Mariner badge, which requires an all water route just short of crossing at the northern land bridge. What's really difficult with Kerbin is that neither full land or full water is really achievable, which means any entry really needs to be capable of traveling across both land and water.

In your case, it looks pretty capable of either. I'm also impressed that, given it's size, it holds 30+ m/s on the water at such low power settings.(But then again, all my experience on the water is with stock.)

So to sum up, I think that route qualifies you for the land badge. Though if you want to convince me, I'm not really bent either way. Just know that your chosen route does not fulfill the requirements for the Kerbin portion of the Master Mariner badge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.