The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (Continued)

Claw

On 1/27/2016 at 7:21 PM, Thalamask said:

I've just completed my Elcano circumnavigation on Tylo in the Stock Craft category.

Looks great! I'm roughly 2/3 of the way myself, having been held up by QA work. I agree with your assessments of Tylo's high explodium content. Also, it's probably been the most boring drive so far. I don't imagine myself coming back. heh

Congratulations on another fine circumnavigation! :D

Alright folks, my journey around Minmus has come to an end.

pk3NCNC.png

The big arrow was my START/FINISH point, the little stars were my checkpoints, I travelled westwards (from right to left in the picture). I had an accident near Checkpoint #11 and had to use my spare rover to continue the trip.

Here's the main thread: 

I intend to continue with the Elcano challenges, but not right now, I'm afraid my PC isn't up to the task. But I will be back, sooner or later, as long as you guys will still be sticking around here :D

EDIT: forgot to say, I'm playing on a stock install, no mods whatsoever.

Edited by KN_Namida

7 hours ago, damerell said:

Well done! You seem to have taken quite a circuitous route in places...

Before sending the rovers to Minmus, I launched a small "scout" spacecraft with infinite fuel on, to check for cool places I could visit during my on-land journey. Even though, by Minmus's standards, even a steeper-than-average hill qualifies as a cool place :P still better than travelling in a straight line, though.

And then, all I did was connecting the dots. Sure, at times I had to, say, move west, then east then west again, but I was enjoying the trip so the extra long route did not feel like a chore, not at all :)

I haven't forgotten about you guys, honest. It's been a rather busy week (:)) and I've been traveling. Hard to do proper updates from the phone.

Congratulations, @KN_Namida. I will look over your journey this weekend and add you to the list! :D

Cheers,
-Claw

Thanks Claw, and thanks everyone :cool:

It took me longer than I originally anticipated, because of all the pauses.. but I enjoyed the ride nonetheless, and as I was reaching the starting point of my journey I felt really good, I felt like something was coming full circle  :rolleyes:  I remembered all the hills and mountains I climbed, all the valleys and "lakes" I traversed, all the flags planted, the accident and the rover change, all the sunrises and sunsets, the view of Kerbin and the Mun from the surface of that little, frosty ball..

I really liked it. Now, I'd prefer to have a stronger PC before attempting any other Elcano challenges, we've come to the point where KSP rises my computer's temperature to almost unsafe levels (I'm playing on a laptop, this is no gaming rig..). But who knows, maybe I'll get tired of waiting and I'll just attempt a Mun Elcano on this old fella.. we'll see.

Noting that I'm going forward with my on-foot Mun circumnavigation. I have finished prototyping, and the first of many pit stop craft has been landed. This is going to take a while before Valentina goes up- 34 more pit stops to go, with ~36km spacing.

I have finally, after much nail biting and pondering whether my patience levels will take it, entered into an Elcano circumnavigation of Minmus!  My ability to build good shuttles, but immense frustration over the last week at whole-heartedly failing to build a good SSTO led me to play around with rovers a little and then I thought, well fudge I can do this.  I mean it could be interesting!

Here's the start of my challenge entry, and where I will posting the rest of the mission as it unfolds / I upload it.

Good luck to all other challengers!  

SM

After my circumnavigations of Kerbin on water and in the air, I wanted to make one last entry for a land based circumnavigation, using a Kerbal-powered rover. Originally, I was just fooling around with the concept but discovered that a rover like that is actually amazingly stable. So one thing let to another and here I am, halfway around on a polar route.

I hope I'll be able to finish the journey before the end of the month.

Hi @Claw!  I've finished my equatorial circumnavigation of Minmus in the Lancano Wayfarer.  Full mission report here for your perusal!

I really didn't think I'd enjoy doing this as much as I did, and indeed at least 60% of my enjoyment came form actually designing the launch vehicle and rover, but it was amazing.  Minmus is nice and forgiving as far as rovers go, and the scenery it throws at you is seriously stunning.  Loved it.  Not sure if I want to go and do all the other ones, but at least I finally bit the bullet and did something I've been thinking about for a while.  Also it distracted me nicely from trying to build an SSTO, something that still eludes me in 1.0x

SM

Oh no, I've ignored you guys for almost a week already?!

On 2/21/2016 at 10:13 AM, cubinator said:

I think I can finish before 1.1 hits, because if I don't then it's not happening...

Yes, I am trying desperately to finish my Tylo mission. Which has been challenging...from both a time and adventure standpoint.

On 2/22/2016 at 4:56 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

I mean it could be interesting!

It is, strangely enough. I still remember the first time I drove to Kerbin's north pole (so long ago). That felt like a long adventure, and it was quite amazing to see the varied and vast landscape. Consider this belated good luck, and current congratulations on finishing! :D 

On 2/23/2016 at 6:47 PM, Chemp said:

Kerbal-powered rover

I love kerbal powered stuff! (Though it's been a while since I built some.) I have a glider around here somewhere from a kerbal powered glider challenge. That was pretty fun!

Spoiler

Good luck to you as well!

I am now preparing my mind and soul to start my attempt! My plan is to launch a rover to eve complete it have a rocket come pick up the crew bring them home and have a rover ready to start my Kerbin navigation.

Edited by ThaZeus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.