The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (Continued)

Claw

4 minutes ago, Thalamask said:

Then design your rover better.... design is a fair part of the challenge after all! :D

That's why there's the probe core :wink:

3 minutes ago, Claw said:

Awkward indeed.

C44A2UL.jpg

How do they use the chemical toilet without a floor?

Elcano Attempt, Mission Log Day 1

EDIT: Refueling mission no. 1 has failed, due to a complication involving the wings of the supply craft. The pilot was rescued by the LandKreuser and will join them for the remainder of the journey. A supply cruiser is setting out to resupply them later today.

EDIT: The Landkreuser has reached 50 kilometers distance from the KSC. 50 down, 550 to go!

EDIT: A tank of oxidizer (Fuel cell fodder) has fallen off. We probably didn't need it anyways.

EDIT: I wonder what glue tastes like

Map:

vgG2ovf.png

Edited by The Optimist

Hi all, 
Long time reader, hoper, planner...
Finally thinking I can do this. (Especially since 1.1 water travel is waaay easier.)

I'm writing a Mission Log here:

My first post there is about design and planning. There's many expereienced players and Elcano explorers on here, so I'd be honoured if you check out my design and I'd love your thoughts. Otherwise...happy exploring!

@IvanSanchez Bold roving on the Mun!
I was very curious about your phrase:
"...I didn't realise BTDT could plot a map of the route taken in the SCANsat small game until it was too late...". (Thanks @Claw for pointing out your comment).
I'm trying to get BTDT to plot the route taken but failing so far. How did you get it to work? And in your view, would this be superior to the Rover Autopilot plot you used? I'm planning Elcano on Kerbin here.

I've been wanting to do this challenge for a while, but I don't know where to do it. I want a scenic route, but I also don't want to do it on a big planet like Kerbin or Duna. Any ideas for a good Elcano challenge location?

37 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

I've been wanting to do this challenge for a while, but I don't know where to do it. I want a scenic route, but I also don't want to do it on a big planet like Kerbin or Duna. Any ideas for a good Elcano challenge location?

I've completed many of the Elcano challenges, HY. I personally recommend Ike and Eeloo as best driving locations, but recognise that personal choice comes into it a lot. If you look through my mission logs (linky in sig) you'll be able to get some idea of how scenic each planet/moon is, as well as my impression of how pleasant each one was to drive on. Claw is another one who's completed a bunch of Elcano's, so you can check his mission reports too.

I would agree, if you have the bandwidth, take a quick scan thriugh mission reports. On many of mine, I comment on the scenery in the post so you don't necessarily have to spoil too much with pictures.

Personally I find Eeloo kind of boring, because it's a lot of white and not a lot of relief. If you want that whiteish, icy feeling, Vall is also nice for scenery. I also remember Ike being very nice, both for scenery and for driving. I think I did a polar route which gives some neat views of Duna, and Ike is pretty easy to get to compared to other places. Moho also has some interesting terrain, but has some other challenges (like getting there).

Based on what you said, steer well clear of Tylo.

Hopefully that helps!

42 minutes ago, Claw said:

I would agree, if you have the bandwidth, take a quick scan thriugh mission reports. On many of mine, I comment on the scenery in the post so you don't necessarily have to spoil too much with pictures.

Personally I find Eeloo kind of boring, because it's a lot of white and not a lot of relief. If you want that whiteish, icy feeling, Vall is also nice for scenery. I also remember Ike being very nice, both for scenery and for driving. I think I did a polar route which gives some neat views of Duna, and Ike is pretty easy to get to compared to other places. Moho also has some interesting terrain, but has some other challenges (like getting there).

Based on what you said, steer well clear of Tylo.

Hopefully that helps!

4 hours ago, Thalamask said:

I've completed many of the Elcano challenges, HY. I personally recommend Ike and Eeloo as best driving locations, but recognise that personal choice comes into it a lot. If you look through my mission logs (linky in sig) you'll be able to get some idea of how scenic each planet/moon is, as well as my impression of how pleasant each one was to drive on. Claw is another one who's completed a bunch of Elcano's, so you can check his mission reports too.

Thanks to both of you. I'm trying out Eeloo as we speak. Haven't landed but already got the maneuver set.

Pre-Mission Craft Testing:
Day Two Testing Report is up:

Part 1
Part 2

If you get a chance, have a read. This is my first blogging of KSP, so please any feedback welcome. I'm trying to narrativise it a little. And I'd like to make something that is fun for people to read. 

On 29/6/2016 at 4:49 AM, Maverick_aus said:

I'm trying to get BTDT to plot the route taken but failing so far. How did you get it to work? And in your view, would this be superior to the Rover Autopilot plot you used? I'm planning Elcano on Kerbin here.

@Maverick_aus It just... works. Look closely at the "SCANsat small map" in one of my later screenshots:

XDfnyh3.png

The scattered points around the Mun are when I had the BTDT scanner on for a couple of seconds to identify the anomaly, then turned off in order to save a bit of battery power.

Then, in the last southern anomaly, I left BTDT on, and the small map visible... and I realized that it automatically keeps track of the "visited" portions of the planetary body.

So, if you've got the battery (or the RTGs) to spare, just leave your BTDT scanner on.

IMHO, the MJ Rover Autopilot is nicer - it allows you to make screenshots of the planetary surface, zoomin in/out as desired. The BTDT is good proof that you've ElCano'ed a planetary body, but cannot be zoomed in (AFAIK).

@Claw Perhaps it should be a good idea to add this info to the first post. And also, please fix the link to the "Mission reports" subforum, I didn't realized it existed at all!

7 hours ago, IvanSanchez said:

@Maverick_aus It just... works. Look closely at the "SCANsat small map" in one of my later screenshots:

XDfnyh3.png

The scattered points around the Mun are when I had the BTDT scanner on for a couple of seconds to identify the anomaly, then turned off in order to save a bit of battery power.

Then, in the last southern anomaly, I left BTDT on, and the small map visible... and I realized that it automatically keeps track of the "visited" portions of the planetary body.

So, if you've got the battery (or the RTGs) to spare, just leave your BTDT scanner on.

IMHO, the MJ Rover Autopilot is nicer - it allows you to make screenshots of the planetary surface, zoomin in/out as desired. The BTDT is good proof that you've ElCano'ed a planetary body, but cannot be zoomed in (AFAIK).

@Claw Perhaps it should be a good idea to add this info to the first post. And also, please fix the link to the "Mission reports" subforum, I didn't realized it existed at all!

Hi @IvanSanchez That's really helpful. I thought the BTDT was supposed to do that - display the progress as a line on the ap as well as update the percentage. But alas mine does not. Other than having done an orbital survey, and then turning on the BTDT on your rover, was there anything else you did to achieve this? 

EDIT: Also, regarding your zooming qn, I believe you can zoom the map. Have you gone to the large map, then clicked on a part of the map to open a (second) small map? The small map is similar to the preview map above, but with a window has a zoom function. 

Also, I'll have to try the MJ Autopilot for route tracking. 

Edited by Maverick_aus

Latest testing and development report is in hereDolomedes Triton is now dual-propulsion!

As a bonus: ...I sort, of accidentally climbed a mountain-island. With my boat. Well, boat-car. So a mountain-climbing boat-car. Yes!

B9zJ6Yk.png

YWNsqo9.png

It even survived the descent

RD3G8ML.png

Hey Claw,

A while ago I did a Gilly Circumnavigation, and I'm going to do a Minmus one now. I'll leave the link to the thread below, I'll update it as stuff happens. Please check it out and let me know if it's all within regulations and rules. I'll drop a message on here once it's all complete as well.

Much appreciated,

Ryan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.