[WIP] Contractpack: Dawn of the Space Age (aka: KSP Campaign)

KSP_Jack

Contractpack: Dawn of the Space Age (aka: KSP Campaign)

GrHGz40.png

I'm new to mods, so be kind.

I play KSP already for a longtime and like the game very much but I think the game lacks a good mission structure. I think you are send to quickly to other planets, whereby you mostly lack the technology/science or you have to make ridicules multi biome missions sending kerbals on the first rocketish vessel to minmus. I like a more realistic approach where some sort of caution and care for kerbals is present, more robotic exploration before we send the kerbals (although Jebediah will probably challenge this :cool:). Also I like a more structured approach like they also do in real life (Mercury to Gemini to Apollo, etc)

Anyway, because im not a modder and could not find (at the time) something that filled my wish, I use (quite long already) a spreadsheet and prebuild roadmap beside KSP to track my progress and future mission plans (also documenting rocket design states and kerbal mission records) . Currently im slowly working to make a contractpack based on the spreadsheet.

Download:

Beta version 0.1 for download: https://github.com/KSPJack/Dawn-of-the-Space-Age/releases/tag/DotSA_vB01  Still a rough version, a lot of polishing must be done.

Issues tracker:

To report issues: https://github.com/KSPJack/Dawn-of-the-Space-Age/issues

Changelog:

Spoiler

Beta Version 0.1 (12-1-2016)
- First release
- added Dawn program missions
- added Eagle program missions
- added Falcon program missions
- added Aura program missions
- added Exer program missions
- added first Rcom program mission
- added first Gaia program mission
- added first Muna program mission

Planned for next release:

Spoiler

Beta Version 0.2
- Bug fixes !
- Balancing !
- adding full Rcom program
- adding full Gaia program
- adding full Muna program
- adding Cronus program missions
- adding Recon program missions

Mods:

You need Contract Configurator to use the contract pack:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/91625-105-contract-configurator-v1931-2016-01-11/

Recomended : 

Credits:

Nightingale - for Contract Configurator!

Campaign mission roadmap:

UPBgNau.png

Preview picture of some completed test missions (with typos :rolleyes:):

TgmbPVn.png

Program description:

Note: not al programs included yet, see roadmap for all missions and future plans.

Note: [R] = mission can be repeated.

Dawn Program

mgO83VP.png 

Main objective

First rocket development and early robotic space exploration

Preconditions to start program

None

Program Description

The Dawn missions are the first rocketry steps made by the Kerbals. After Wernher von Kerman researched the first rocker parts, we are eager to see what we can do with them. The goal of the program is to get a basic idea how to design and create rockets. Also we would like to get the first looks into space to see how it is up there.

Missions
Dawn-1 ; unmanned rocket test reaching 15km
Dawn-2 ; unmanned rocket test reaching 40km
Dawn-3 ; first unmanned sub orbital flight
Dawn-4 ; unmanned sub orbital flight with a safe return and landing
Dawn-5 ; first unmanned orbital flight
Dawn-6 ; unmanned orbital flight, sending science back from low orbit
Dawn-7 ; unmanned orbital flight, sending science back from high orbit
Dawn-8 ; unmanned orbital flight, bringing science back to Kerbin

Eagle Program

6ec0RTo.png

Main objective

Airplane development

None

Program Description

The Eagle missions are the first steps made by the Kerbals to atmospheric flight. Wernher von Kerman is not really interested in this project but others see it as a necessary project for future developments in space flight. Jebdiah can’t wait to get in this “planes” to get into to sky.

Missions
Eagle-1 ; Make a test flight at 2.500m and land safely at the KSC
Eagle-2 ; Make a test flight at 5.000m and land safely at the KSC
Eagle-3 ; Make a test flight at 10.000m and land safely at the KSC
Eagle-4 ; Make a high altitude test flight at 20.000m and land safely at the KSC

Exer Program

AJTNvgp.png

Main objective

Kerbalnaut training

Complete the Eagle-1 mission

Program Description
Missions for Kerbalnaut training to get some base experience,

Missions

Exer-1 ; Trainingsflight at 2.500m

Falcon Program

tPMoIeG.png

Main objective

Airplane speed tests

Complete the Eagle-1 mission

Program Description

The Falcon missions has two origins, first the desire of Jebediah to go faster and faster and the second the concerns of the technicians about breaking the “sound” barrier. To successfully develop a space plane we need to know what will happen at high speed

Mission overview

Falcon-1 ; Make a test flight at Mach 1 (341m/s) and land safely at the KSC
Falcon-2 ; Make a test flight at Mach 2 (682m/s) and land safely at the KSC
Falcon-3 ; Make a test flight at Mach 3 (1023m/s) and land safely at the KSC
Falcon-4 ; Make a test flight at Mach 4 (1364m/s) and land safely at the KSC

Aura Program

8y30eqK.png 

Main objective

Manned rocket development and First manned orbital flight

Complete the dawn program

Program Description

After the success of the Dawn missions our next goal is to get a kerbal into space. We need a heavier rocket for it and test it to make sure its safe. Werner has some great idea for a rocket powered escape system and Jebediah loves it.

Missions

Aura-1 ; unmanned (but with a capsule) sub orbital test flight with a safe return and landing.

Aura-2 ; unmanned (but with a capsule) orbital test flight with a safe return and landing.

Aura-3 ; Launch Escape System Test

Aura-4; first manned sub orbital flight with a safe return and landing.

Aura-5; first manned low orbital flight with a safe return and landing.

Aura-6; first manned high orbital flight with a safe return and landing.

Gaia Program

cglQIEr.png 

Main objective

Mapping Kerbin

Program Description

After the science we gathered with the dawn missions we want to make a map of Kerbin to see how it really looks. Some people say there’s more water than land, we need to get a clear answer.

Missions

Gaia-LR ; Make a Low Resolution Radar Altimetry scan of kerbin

Gaia-HR ; Make a High Resolution Radar Altimetry scan of kerbin

Gaia-BA ; Make a Biome and Anomaly scan of kerbin

Muna Program

cPvjjCq.png 

Main objective

Robotic exploration of the Mun

Program Description

After we gathered some science from around Kerbin we are curious about our neighbor, a lot of speculation is going on that there might be other life forms over there. We just need to find out, because we don’t know what to expect we want to send some robotic probes to investigate the Mun. Who know what we will discover.

Missions

Luna-1 ; Make a high orbit fly-by

Luna-2 ; Make a low orbit fly-by

Luna-3 ; Impact a probe on the surface

Luna-4 [R]: Bring a probe in a high orbit and send science back

Luna-5 [R]: Bring a probe in a low orbit and send science back

Luna-6 : Make a Low Resolution Radar Altimetry scan of Kerbin

Luna-7 [R]: Land a probe on the surface and send science back

Luna-8 [R]: Land a probe on the surface and  bring samples back to Kerbin

Luna-9 : Make a High Resolution Radar Altimetry scan of the Mun

Luna-10 : Make a Biome and Anomaly scan of Kerbin

RCOM Program

5sIVM1c.png 

Main objective

Establish a communication network for kerbin and deep space communication.

Complete the Dawn-6 mission

Program Description

To successfully communicate with probes and manned flights without depend on brief communication windows we need some sort of relay communication satellites in orbit.

Missions

RCOM-KB[R] ; Bring a relay communication probe in orbit covering the Kerbin orbits

RCOM-KBS[R] ; Bring a relay communication probe in orbit covering the Kerbin system

RCOM-ED[R] ; Bring a relay communication probe in orbit covering Eve and Duna

RCOM-DS[R] ; Bring a relay communication probe in orbit covering deep space

AGIS Program

T4e8Q3l.png 

Main objective

Development of a space plane

Complete the Eagle and Falcon Program, AGIS-5 and AGIS-6 can be done after completing the Gateway-1 mission.

Program Description

After the success achieved in the Eagle and Falcon program we are confident we can develop a space plane. Although Werner is still skeptical and prefer rockets above planes he also see the benefits of controlled vehicle.

Missions

AGIS-1 ; Unmanned suborbital testflight and return with a safe landing at the KSC.

AGIS-2 ; Unmanned orbital testflight and return with a safe landing at the KSC.

AGIS-3 ; Manned orbital testflight and return with a safe landing at the KSC.

AGIS-4[R] ; Bring a satellite in orbit and return with a safe landing at the KSC.

AGIS-5[R] ; Bring a new crew to the Gateway Station and  return with a safe landing at the KSC.

AGIS-6[R] ; Bring a supplies to the Gateway Station and  return with a safe landing at the KSC.

CRONUS Program

7DuJYRZ.png

Main objective

Manned endurance tests

Complete the Aura program

Program Description

To further study the effect off space on the kerbalnauts body we need to perform some endurance test in space.

Missions
Cronus-1 ; Manned 5 day orbital testflight
Cronus-2 ; Manned 10 day orbital testflight
Cronus-3 ; Manned 20 day orbital testflight
Cronus-4 ; Manned 40 day orbital testflight

RECON Program

l8In9Xr.png

Main objective

Orbital maneuver tests

Complete the Aura program

Program Description

To make further space exploration and construction possible we need to exercise orbital maneuvers and test if they are possible.  

Missions
Recon-1 ; Perform an EVA
Recon-2 ; Perform a rendezvous with a probe
Recon-3 ; Perform a rendezvous with a manned capsule
Recon-4 ; Perform a rendezvous and dock with a manned capsule

MORE PROGRAM DESCRIPTIONS WILL FOLLOW, see roadmap above for complete program overview.

Edited by KSP_Jack

If you use Imgur to host images on the internet, you can copy BBcode for the image and just paste it. Another option is to copy the URL of the image and use the 'Insert other media' button above the submit button (i figure that's where it'd be for making a new thread but I haven't made a new thread since the forum update).

E: Now that that has been said, I believe this is an interesting idea.

Edited by FungusForge

It's ambitious, but looks like there's a lot of planning already done.  I like what I'm seeing so far, and I absolutely love the shield logos!

One thing I would suggest is to try to be as loose as possible with requirements for new trees to open up - try to rely on the progress tracking stuff instead of contract completion wherever possible (if done right you can even go so far to have someone able to drop this into an existing save, although it's probably not ideal).  I've also raised [#420] to break out the manned/unmanned progress which may be useful for you.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Thanks everybody for the good reception and interest in the idea, gives me the courage to continue my efforts and put me right under pressure to deliver :cool:.

Currently, im working on the first programs. I hope to complete them at the end of this week so i can test them in the weekend to get the first error/typos out of them and for some initial balancing. Next week I will try to get a first download up so maybe some of you can take a look at them. Dont expect a finished release, it will be a rough pre-beta early access version. Like how KSP started, but we know how that turned out :D.

To reply to some of your questions and suggestions :

21 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

Are you planning for this to run alongside stock contracts, or to replace them entirely?

No, at this point Im not looking to replace any contracts. Contract configurator works very nice along the stock and other contracts and there are several mods that filter out any unwanted (stock)contracts. .

17 hours ago, nightingale said:

One thing I would suggest is to try to be as loose as possible with requirements for new trees to open up - try to rely on the progress tracking stuff instead of contract completion wherever possible (if done right you can even go so far to have someone able to drop this into an existing save, although it's probably not ideal).  I've also raised [#420] to break out the manned/unmanned progress which may be useful for you.

First of all thanks for your interest and your work on the contract configurator mod!

I agree the opening of new contract trees should not be like a railshooter where you should grind trough every boring mission to get to the fun. Especially in long hard missions where there might be a chance you wont complete the mission for a 100%. It is at that point more interesting to move forward with the next mission than to start all over again, also when you complete addition goals because luck is with you or you performed above expectations it not fun to do the extra work again because the next mission require it again.

But i also like the idea of making small development steps like in real life, i know you can easily complete the goals and progress of the first three programs with one well designed spacecraft, but optimizing designs and sending multiple kerbals to a place are a part of the fun I guess. I will certainly keep your suggestion in mind, and I hope that with good balancing and depending on the contract/program choosing the right requirements will overcome any boring missions and replays. 

Thanx, I would really appreciate it!

Im rewriting some of my missions so its more based on real progress made than completing the last mission, but this makes testing far more harder and complex. I hope to bring out the first test release next week, i will include some documentation so people know what to test for.

@Augustus,  I hope to release Beta at the end of this week.  Its my first mod/missionpack so I want to make some decent release and i run into some programming challenges (although the contract configuration programming is very easy, so its more a shortcoming from my part but very interesting to learn :D). Currently im working on the "Aura" program (first manned space exploration) the Falcon, Eagle and Dawn programs are already finished for Betarelease but I like to include Aura as well to make it a bit more interesting as a release.

@legoclone09, I like your idea of Muna very much! When i will start working on the program I will definitely change the name and logo. Credits to you. 

Edited by KSP_Jack

@KSP_Jack

Great layout. I just published a planes pack and and working on mach tests and more for the next iteration. We should compare notes.

I want also to invite you to the Community Career Framework project as I think your ideas would benefit the whole project: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128056-community-career-framework-a-balance-mod-standards-cooperative-for-career-games-a-community-recommended-mod-list-that-commits-to-working-well-together-in-career-games/

@inigma Thanks, I will divinely take a look at the Community Career Framework and your GAP.

@BLUESTREAK Thanks, i haven't thought about orbital construction but I think it will be very interesting for a mission program.

The Beta release of the mission pack has some delay (running in some programming errors again and I expended it with missions of the GAIA, RCOM and MUNA programs). I finished my first testround of all the missions today and expect to put it for download tomorrow.

KSP_Jack, I wanted to know what you think about GAP's progression map:

https://bubbl.us/?h=934b/5fc8d0/37aoS1/A8mNuU&r=954713304

I noticed your Eagle and Falcon missions match nicely with GAP's KAB and SSI missions. Perhaps we should entertain adding requirements to check for each other's packs or maybe even a possible pack merge? I could run a check to detect if your pack is installed, and disable the the GAP KAB and GAP SSI speed missions, and allow for other contracts in my pack to work off of your Eagle and Falcon contracts. 

That would be the more complicated route to ensure compatibility and balance between our packs. The better way, and only if you'd be up to considering it, would be to simply code your AGIS starting contract to check for GAP's KAB-2000m and SSI-Mach4 completion. If you could split out your Falcon and Eagle contracts into a unique group that GAP could then disable upon detection, this would work overall. That, or you could simply drop your Eagle and Falcon contracts altogether. Thoughts?

I really like your icons though. If anything, I could simply absorb your Falcon contracts as part of GAP. Anything's possible. I just want to know how best you'd like to approach compatibility and game balance when a player installs both our packs.

Also maybe by looking at some other mods you can make it disable the stock contracts so that does not have to be done manually, I can do it for you if you want. Also for Dawn 1, maybe remove the requirement to crash in the water because with the Engineering Tech Tree I can't get my Flea + Stayputnik+chute up to altitude, but great work otherwise! I'll try something else and I'll report back if it is possible.

I just confirmed it is impossible to get to 15km in the ETT first node, but launchpad science to get LFO can happen.2

Edited by legoclone09

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.