Combat Drone Inititative - Trial 1 Complete - Round 3 Videos Posted

It will be quite a bit higher, funds wise.  Not positive on the specifics yet, but I am planning a chain of target areas with 1 to 3 ground targets each.  There may be SAM sites in the mix with occasional defensive fighters as well. I am hoping that I can space them so that the AI is smart enough to go from one to the next.

Trench Run?

Here's the idea: set up a series of gates which you have to fly through, but the catch is each gate has a pair of fixed turrets or missile rails armed with heatseekers, one at the base of each post aiming into the approach. At the far end of the gate run, there's a 2m target which you basically have to obliterate with one pass. While at the same time trying not to get shot down by defending drones as well as the surface fixed guns and a tracking turret behind the target (thinking a howitzer or something equally slow-firing, just to give the challenger a chance).

9 hours ago, ihtoit said:

Trench Run?

Here's the idea: set up a series of gates which you have to fly through, but the catch is each gate has a pair of fixed turrets or missile rails armed with heatseekers, one at the base of each post aiming into the approach. At the far end of the gate run, there's a 2m target which you basically have to obliterate with one pass. While at the same time trying not to get shot down by defending drones as well as the surface fixed guns and a tracking turret behind the target (thinking a howitzer or something equally slow-firing, just to give the challenger a chance).

I think this would actually require an active pilot and I am trying to accomplish it only using the BD Armory AI.

[edit:scratch]

I might make this into a challenge on its own (the trench run, that is), I'd have to update my KSP and try and get it running on my beast machine first tho.

Edited by ihtoit

I have been looking into using a KoS script to fly a plane between locations. I think I might be able to figure a way out to program rudimentary waypoint autopilot that will trigger guard mode when enemy combatants come into range and turn it off when there are no enemies detected ... Depends on if I can see the radome detecting an enemy target or not with the KoS computer and how long it will take me to learn the KoS system.

Also there was a hotfix for the new BDA which adds improvements to the AI

Edited by DoctorDavinci

30 minutes ago, SasquatchM said:

I set up some test SAM sites to build a run, but the intercept missiles, even one at a time, are just too deadly.  I am trying to tweak the settings a bit to try to balance it out.

what's your RADAR setup? Usually RADAR guided SAM (AIM120) sites have one RADAR vehicle among several spaced launchers. So you'd have your RADAR truck (with some sort of CIWS (AIM9?)) on a hilltop and the launchers in a ravine or side of the hill under concealment

AIM 120 AMRAAM = Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile (Radar guided)

AIM 9 Sidewinder = Advanced Short Range Air to Air Missile (Heat seeking)

@ihtoit - You will be hard pressed to find any nation in the world launching these types of ordinance from the ground outside of for testing purposes.

EDIT ----- There are 2 countries who use an AIM 120 SAM system, one being the US and the other being Norway. In the case of the US this system is generally used only in mountainous terrain where APAR can be fooled by the target flying low through mountains.

APAR = Advanced Phased Array Radar

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.