[1.8.1 - 1.12.3] Realistic Atmospheres

OhioBob

19 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

1.2?

This mod is dependent on Kopernicus, so until a 1.2 compatible version of Kopernicus is available, Realistic Atmospheres is on hold.  It's my understanding that the creator of Kopernicus is really busy at the moment with real life obligations, so we may have to wait a little bit.  Please be patient.

2 hours ago, rdwulfe said:

How does this mod interact with the Trajectories mod? Will it deal with things accurately, or does it go nuts?

I don't use Trajectories but I did do some experimenting with it several versions ago.  It worked but was not highly accurate.  It appeared that Trajectories pulled in the data from Realistic Atmospheres to make its predictions, but I was consistently landing short of the first predicted location.  The amount of error varied significantly depending on the body and the entry conditions, but in some cases I was several hundred kilometers off target.   Also, when aerocapturing/breaking I always ended up with a lower apoapsis than the initial prediction.

I doubt that using Realistic Atmospheres and Trajectories together will break anything or cause it to go nuts, so I suggest you go ahead and give it a try.  If the resulting predictions are not accurate enough for your satisfaction, then you'll just have to uninstall one mod or the other.  Maybe things have gotten better than when I last tested it.

15 hours ago, 1990eam said:

Does this mess with visuals? I installed it and SVE doesn't seem to work with it. I don't know if it's this or Kopernicus.

I don't know, I've never tested it.  I generally avoid using visual enhancement mods because of performance issues.  I wouldn't think that my edits to the atmosphere node would have a big effect, but I really don't much about SVE and how it works.  Perhaps @Galileo can provide some insight.

15 hours ago, 1990eam said:

Does this mess with visuals? I installed it and SVE doesn't seem to work with it. I don't know if it's this or Kopernicus.

This mod doesnt affect visuals at all and it works perfectly with SVE

I believe you are asking this because you were experiencing issues with clouds not showing up with SVE installed.  When you have Kopernicus installed, it is normal for clouds to not show up in the main menu. That is stated in the README included with the  Jool Rings for SVE. You have to actually go in game to see the clouds. Its just a small bug with Kopernicus.

Edited by Galileo

Is the rescaled Duna atmosphere supposed to be so thick? My lander slows based upon its aeroshell to low enough speeds to deploy a drogue at 30km (versus 10km stock), and with a single parachute can get to 20m/s, which seems a lot for an almost airless planet. The same lander only gets to 10m/s landing on Kerbin. I was assuming that the realistic atmosphere would be more like mars, which is something like 1/200th as dense as Earth.

Spoiler

Plenty of space to land, which is nice, but kind of cuts the challenge: 797dujo.png

This thing has no problems landing but can no longer take off to orbit because of the soupy atmosphere:
170J4ry.png

19 hours ago, larkvi said:

Is the rescaled Duna atmosphere supposed to be so thick? My lander slows based upon its aeroshell to low enough speeds to deploy a drogue at 30km (versus 10km stock), and with a single parachute can get to 20m/s, which seems a lot for an almost airless planet. The same lander only gets to 10m/s landing on Kerbin. I was assuming that the realistic atmosphere would be more like mars, which is something like 1/200th as dense as Earth.

The pressure of Duna's atmosphere at the surface is the same as it is in stock (1/15 atmosphere).  The main purpose of this mod is to make sure that atmospheres vary with increasing height in a realistic way, not to change the surface conditions.  For that reason I didn't turn Duna into Mars (Duna's surface pressure is about 11 times greater than Mars').  The biggest difference between this mod and stock is that Duna's atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing height at a much lower rate than it does in stock.  Therefore, at high altitudes this mod's atmosphere is definitely denser than stock Duna.  That's just the way it would be in real life for a planet Duna's size with it's given surface conditions.  The planet's low gravity causes its atmosphere to expand and fade more slowly than it would for a larger planet.  Despite the fact that Duna's air is much thinner at the surface, it is actually denser than Kerbin air at altitudes above about 22 km.

18 hours ago, Redleg1 said:

Is it possible to use this mod with rescaled atmospheres?  Would it just be a matter of changing the max altitude in the cfg file?

I'm not familiar with "rescaled atmospheres", is that a mod?  If you are referring to using Sigma Dimensions to rescale the height of the atmosphere, then yes, it will work.

On 10/22/2016 at 4:08 PM, OhioBob said:

I don't use Trajectories but I did do some experimenting with it several versions ago.  It worked but was not highly accurate.  It appeared that Trajectories pulled in the data from Realistic Atmospheres to make its predictions, but I was consistently landing short of the first predicted location.  The amount of error varied significantly depending on the body and the entry conditions, but in some cases I was several hundred kilometers off target.   Also, when aerocapturing/breaking I always ended up with a lower apoapsis than the initial prediction.

I doubt that using Realistic Atmospheres and Trajectories together will break anything or cause it to go nuts, so I suggest you go ahead and give it a try.  If the resulting predictions are not accurate enough for your satisfaction, then you'll just have to uninstall one mod or the other.  Maybe things have gotten better than when I last tested it.

Which end is this on? Would you have to work on the compatibility, or would the Trajectories maker?

2 hours ago, Spike88 said:

Which end is this on? Would you have to work on the compatibility, or would the Trajectories maker?

Realistic Atmospheres is nothing but revised temperature and pressure curves.  I don't think there is anything that I can do that would help Trajectories make better use of that data to make better predictions.

I probably should start a conversation with the maker of Trajectories to see if we can figure it out.

46 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Realistic Atmospheres is nothing but revised temperature and pressure curves.  I don't think there is anything that I can do that would help Trajectories make better use of that data to make better predictions.

I probably should start a conversation with the maker of Trajectories to see if we can figure it out.

I would definitely appreciate it. I am planning on running tests to see how major the difference is before I commit to using your mod with my career since I'm planning on using Trajectories to help get my STS back to the runway.

• 3 weeks later...

Just trying to get some clarification on an earlier question about atmosphere scaling.  If I change the height of the atmosphere on Kerbin using Sigma Dimensions by 1.16, making it 81,200m for example, would the effects of Realistic atmosphere be scaled as well?  Or would I need to add to the pressure/temp/etc. curves in the Realistic Atmosphere .cfg file?  I breezed through your tutorial on atmosphere's, but alas I suck real bad at math and I am not sure I grasp it all.

Also, do you, or do you know anyone that has any pre made configs for your mod for typical rescale sizes eg: 2x, 3x, 4x, 6x?

Disregard, turns out I just need to learn  how to read.

Edited by Redleg1

• 1 month later...

Hello, will you add a corona analog? Or, if I want to add it myself, how can I do it? I see lots of different numbers in config that I don't understand. (next to pressure in pressure curve and temperature in temperature curve)

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, Alphard said:

Hello, will you add a corona analog? Or, if I want to add it myself, how can I do it? I see lots of different numbers in config that I don't understand. (next to pressure in pressure curve and temperature in temperature curve)

I have no plans to add anything, but if you explain to me a little better what it is you want to do, I might be able to help.

3 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I have no plans to add anything, but if you explain to me a little better what it is you want to do, I might be able to help.

I would like to do add a K-corona, extending up to 10 Kerbol radii from the center.

15 hours ago, Alphard said:

I would like to do add a K-corona, extending up to 10 Kerbol radii from the center.

My model takes us to the top of the Chromosphere.  If you want the extend it out farther to include the Photosphere, all you have to do is extrapolate the temperature and pressure curves and change maxAltitude.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.