[1.8.1 - 1.12.3] Realistic Atmospheres

OhioBob

On 5/6/2016 at 7:57 PM, OhioBob said:

In other words, Sigma/Kopernius can, for instance, factor the height of an atmosphere to whatever you want, but then BodyLoader is going to come along and change it to whatever is in RealisticAtmospheres.cfg. 

is the RealisticAtmospheres.cfg editable through ModuleManager?

because if so I can just rescale that as well as the Kopernicus Atmosphere

I've started converting my configs over to Kopernicus.  So far, so good.  If I can get everything converted over and tested to my satisfaction, I'll probably re-release Realistic Atmospheres as a Kopernicus mod.

Edited by OhioBob

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I've started converting my configs over to Kopernicus.  So far, so good.  If I can get everything converted over and tested to my satisfaction, I'll probably re-release Realistic Atmospheres as a Kopernicus mod.

cool

let me know if you need any help with that (even tho I think you are probably already familiar with the system)

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

awesome! I already use Kopernicus for several things, and being able to remove one more dll from my install can't hurt!

Yeah, I figured most people using this mod probably already have Kopernicus installed, so why not use it.

I've gotten all my configs converted over and everything appears to be working fine.  RA is also now working with Sigma Dimensions, though I've found what I think is a bug in Sigma (which I've reported).  I've got a few more tests I want to run with RA before I'm 100% satisfied that it's ready to release.  Expect something in the next couple days.

Realistic Atmospheres, version 1.2.0

The Realistic Atmospheres files have now been converted to use the third-party mod Kopernicus.  If you have an old version of Realistic Atmospheres installed, delete the folder GameDate/BodyLoader.  The new version installs in the folder GameDate/RealisticAtmospheres.  To work, Kopernicus must also be installed.

Additional Changes:  Axial temperature curves have been added to produce seasonal temperature variations.  The variations are tiny, however, because of the small inclinations.  Adiabatic indexes have been changed to more realistic values.

Edited by OhioBob

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Realistic Atmospheres, version 1.2.0

The Realistic Atmospheres files have now been converted to use the third-party mod Kopernicus.  If you have an old version of Realistic Atmospheres installed, delete the folder GameDate/BodyLoader.  The new version installs in the folder GameDate/RealisticAtmospheres.  To work, Kopernicus must also be installed.

Additional Changes:  Axial temperature curves have been added to produce seasonal temperature variations.  The variations are tiny, however, because of the small inclinations.  Adiabatic indexes have been changed to more realistic values.

Awesome OhioBob definitely going to give this a go :)  I am playing with a rescale using Sigma88's SD. Using RA will it rescale to say atmosphere of 140KM, or will RA's config need to be edited to accommodate the 140KM atmosphere altitude?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Duckyb4 said:

Awesome OhioBob definitely going to give this a go :)  I am playing with a rescale using Sigma88's SD. Using RA will it rescale to say atmosphere of 140KM, or will RA's config need to be edited to accommodate the 140KM atmosphere altitude?  Thanks

Rescaling RA's atmospheres to something like 140 km will make them deeper and more massive than the real-life equivalent.  RA atmospheres are modeled using a life-size analog, and then they have their heights factored by 0.8.  Therefore, reversing the 0.8 factor by multiplying them by 1.25 will produce the most lifelike atmosphere over the range that now exists.  If you want to extend the atmospheres beyond that, then I would recommend editing the configs to extrapolate the curves beyond their current heights.

For example, Kerbin's atmosphere now goes to 70 km.  Factoring this by 1.25, we get 70*1.25 = 87.5 km.  This will give you a very realistic atmosphere over the 0-87.5 km range.  If you want to go to 140 km, then you should open Kerbin.cfg and extrapolate the curves out to 112 km.  Therefore, applying the 1.25 factor, we get 112*1.25 = 140 km.

The curves that have to be extended are pressureCurve, temperatureCurve, and temperatureSunMultCurve.  You also must change maxAltitude.

@OhioBob, I see you've made some changes like axial stuff and adiabatic index. What changes would you recommend for OPMs atmospheres to keep up with the new features? Don't know how applicable it is. My settings might be more/less wrong than stock KSPs, so I don't know.

1 hour ago, CaptRobau said:

@OhioBob, I see you've made some changes like axial stuff and adiabatic index. What changes would you recommend for OPMs atmospheres to keep up with the new features? Don't know how applicable it is. My settings might be more/less wrong than stock KSPs, so I don't know.

Since your planets are based on our real-life solar system, you can probably use the same adiabatic indexes that I estimated for RSS. My recommendation is,

Sarnus - 1.43
Urlum - 1.44
Neidon - 1.45
Tekto - 1.40
Thatmo - 1.40

Regarding the axial stuff, it's not going to be much.  The only axial tilt in KSP is that produced by the inclination of the orbit.  Sarnus has a 2.02 degree inclination, so there might be a tiny variation there.  Less so for Urlum and Neidon.  I'll take a look at it and will get back to you.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:59 PM, OhioBob said:

Rescaling RA's atmospheres to something like 140 km will make them deeper and more massive than the real-life equivalent.  RA atmospheres are modeled using a life-size analog, and then they have their heights factored by 0.8.  Therefore, reversing the 0.8 factor by multiplying them by 1.25 will produce the most lifelike atmosphere over the range that now exists.  If you want to extend the atmospheres beyond that, then I would recommend editing the configs to extrapolate the curves beyond their current heights.

For example, Kerbin's atmosphere now goes to 70 km.  Factoring this by 1.25, we get 70*1.25 = 87.5 km.  This will give you a very realistic atmosphere over the 0-87.5 km range.  If you want to go to 140 km, then you should open Kerbin.cfg and extrapolate the curves out to 112 km.  Therefore, applying the 1.25 factor, we get 112*1.25 = 140 km.

The curves that have to be extended are pressureCurve, temperatureCurve, and temperatureSunMultCurve.  You also must change maxAltitude.

Okay cool thank you OhioBob that is super helpful for me. I am definitely going to give this a go !! :)

@CaptRobau, I just took a look at the seasonal variation for the OPM planets.  For planets beyond Sarnus, the variation is so miniscule that I don't think it is worth bothering with.  For Sarnus and Tekto, I think there could be a variation of up to a few degrees.  If you want to, you could add the following curves to the Sarnus and Tekto configs.  This will produce and a 3 K annual range of temperature at the poles, 1.5at 45° latitude, and zero at the equator.

temperatureAxialSunBiasCurve
			{
				key = 0 0.882 0 -0.0212
				key = 36 0 -0.0262 -0.0262
				key = 126 -1.5 0 0
				key = 216 0 0.0262 0.0262
				key = 306 1.5 0 0
				key = 360 0.882 -0.0212 0
			}
			temperatureAxialSunMultCurve
			{
				key = 0 0 0 0
				key = 90 1 0 0
			}

Edited by OhioBob

• 2 weeks later...

A question for @OhioBob and @Sigma88,

Is there any issue with using Realistic Atmospheres and Sigma Dimensions together? And if I were to rescale the system, would Realistic Atmospheres scale with the planets, and would I need to rescale the atmospheres in Sigma as well? Would that affect the properties of Realistic Atmospheres? Or should I just choose rescale or Realistic Atmospheres?

I'd just like to rescale the system to 3x, and have the atmospheres scaled properly to that along with this mod. OPM preferred but not necessary (I noticed an incompatibility disclaimer on the Kscale2x mod about OPM) Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for the great mods either way, guys!

EDIT: I'll leave it up for etiquette's sake, but I'm so oblivious. Pretty sure my question was answered 2 posts earlier...
Actually upon re-reading maybe not quite. I'll just stop editing and let you sort out this mess of a post lol.

Sorry :P

Edited by RocketRyleigh
Stupidity

Just now, RocketRyleigh said:

A question for @OhioBob and @Sigma88,

Is there any issue with using Realistic Atmospheres and Sigma Dimensions together? And if I were to rescale the system, would Realistic Atmospheres scale with the planets, and would I need to rescale the atmospheres in Sigma as well? Would that affect the properties of Realistic Atmospheres? Or should I just choose rescale or Realistic Atmospheres?

I'd just like to rescale the system to 3x, and have the atmospheres scaled properly to that along with this mod. OPM preferred but not necessary (I noticed an incompatibility disclaimer on the Kscale2x mod about OPM) Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for the great mods either way, guys!

RA and SD should work fine together

SD let's you change the atmosphere altitude if you want to increase the altitude a bit

keep in mind that Stock kerbin has an atmosphere curve which is 0.8 times the one of RSS earth

so if you want to increase the atmosphere by a proportional amount for 3x resize you should use Atmosphere = 1.055

(which would be 0.844 times the RSS atmosphere)

21 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

RA and SD should work fine together

SD let's you change the atmosphere altitude if you want to increase the altitude a bit

keep in mind that Stock kerbin has an atmosphere curve which is 0.8 times the one of RSS earth

so if you want to increase the atmosphere by a proportional amount for 3x resize you should use Atmosphere = 1.055

(which would be 0.844 times the RSS atmosphere)

Thank you very much, glad I can use them together.

And extra thanks for the 3x atmosphere scale, my math is unfortunately lacking :P

FYI, I've written a tutorial describing the methods used to develop these atmospheres.  There is certainly nothing in the tutorial that you need to know to use Realistic Atmospheres, but those who are curious minded might find some of it interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Realistic Atmospheres, version 1.2.1

I discovered that my changes to the Sun's atmosphere weren't being applied because of a small syntax error in the configuration file.  This has been corrected.  I also took this opportunity to change the Sun's molar mass and adiabatic index (hydrogen in the sun is atomic, not molecular), and recomputed it's pressure curve.  I also tweaked the shape of temperatureAxialSunMultCurve for those bodies that use it.  The effect of these changes are so small that it won't even be noticed during normal game play.

Realistic Atmospheres, version 1.2.2

When Realistic Atmospheres changed the heights of the atmospheres, it messed up some of the time warp altitude limits.  This was particularly annoying at Eve, where we couldn't time warp past 10x if flying just above the atmosphere.  I've corrected this to make sure we can time warp at least 50x when outside of a planetary atmosphere.  Stock Duna also has different time warp limits than the other terrestrial planets and moons.  Since I couldn't see a good reason for doing this, I changed it to be consistent with the others.  In Jool's case I increased some of the time warp altitude limits to account for the added height of it's atmosphere.  With Realistic Atmospheres 1.2.2 installed, the time warp altitude limits are:

Warp Minimum Altitude
Eve Kerbin Duna Laythe Jool
50x Top of atmosphere
100x 120 000 m 120 000 m 120 000 m 120 000 m 400 000 m
1 000x 240 000 m 240 000 m 240 000 m 240 000 m 500 000 m
10 000x 480 000 m 480 000 m 480 000 m 480 000 m 700 000 m
10 0000x 600 000 m 600 000 m 600 000 m 600 000 m 1 200 000 m

I also adjusted the flying altitude threshold (border between "flying low" and "flying high") to account for the change in the heights of the atmospheres.  To make it easy to remember, I made the new thresholds 25% of the atmosphere height, rounded off to the nearest kilometer.  This keeps Kerbin's threshold at the familiar 18 km.  For Jool I used 50% of the atmosphere height.  With Realistic Atmospheres 1.2.2 installed, the flying altitude thresholds are:

Flying
Altitude
Threshold
Eve 14 000 m
Kerbin 18 000 m
Duna 18 000 m
Laythe 15 000 m
Jool 200 000 m

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

I am using KScale64. and im wondering if i need to do anything special to get this mod to work with that, or will it adjust on its own?

The two mods should be completely compatible without you having to do anything special.  KScale64 uses SigmaDimensions to stretch the heights of the atmospheres by a factor of 1.33.  It doesn't care if those atmospheres are stock or Realistic Atmospheres.  If both KScale64 and RA are installed, you should get RA stretched by a factor of 1.33.

Edited by OhioBob

13 hours ago, OhioBob said:

The two mods should be completely compatible without you having to do anything special.  KScale64 uses SigmaDimensions to stretch the heights of the atmospheres by a factor of 1.33.  It doesn't care if those atmospheres are stock or Realistic Atmospheres.  If both KScale64 and RA are installed, you should get RA stretched by a factor of 1.33.

alright. thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.