People who joined back in 2011: are any of you still here?

Panichio

I remember back then when I was more active in the forum I could recognize pretty much every user. As the game got bigger, the community got so huge I think I may have been overwhelmed, but at any rate I stopped really playing KSP. Are there any people out there who've kept it up since the earliest stages of the game? You know, when we didn't quite know for sure whether orbiting was possible. :P

If so, what's kept you playing, and has the direction that game took in development surprised you at all?

There was a forum server wipe in 2013 that lost a good chunk of the userbase stats, which meant that they had to re-register. Perhaps an easier way to determine when someone joined would be by version number.

For example I joined KSP slightly before 0.17 got released.

I started playing in June, joined the forum in September 2012 and survived the Great Wipe.

What has kept me playing? Well, these days, I play only ocasionally, but I always look forward to a new version and I like to check out new features.

I like the way the game developed, but I still miss some very basic features 

So I've managed to mystify myself.

I was curious as to when I'd bought the game, and it turns out, it was February, 2013, However, I'd been playing the demo for quite some time, and the first version I think I remember actively playing was 0.13, though it could have been 0.13.3. Which was definitely the demo. I'm not sure if 0.13 was released as a demo. I had a forum account that was wiped, so that puts me on the forums after October 2012, according to the above, but I feel like I had at least a year on my own before joining the forums. I'm kind of annoyed I can't narrow it down any further.

0.11 here. But I've been watching the game and forums since 0.9, because the only computer I had at the time was a Mac and 0.11 was the first version I could play.

I also remember when there was no QA team and Harvester was posting new versions and getting the feedback from the forum users.

Edited by Veeltch

1 hour ago, Panichio said:

Oh yeah? How so?

Mostly I miss the stuff covered by KER. I find numerical readouts of various values very important.

I'd also like to see easier fuel lines between ships. Docking is nice, but transferring stuff between two landed craft is virtually impossible and highly impractical, even when using two ships designed for such operations.

I'd like to have proper 6 axis of freedom on EVA. Sometimes it's impossible to get back into a ship because the hatch is "up" and the Kerbal can't be pitched up or down practically.

I remember when it was just the VAB and tracking station.  And they looked like they were on a video golf course.  I don't remember if there were even any mods.

I really like the path the game has taken.  It's evolved beyond just a sandbox while still retaining its core functionality as a sandbox.  I'm insanely impressed with the modders in this community.  Squad made the right move in supporting mods from the beginning.  (zero cost value add = win.)

Why do I keep playing?  I dunno.  I struggle with the game, even after all these years.  I have yet to venture beyond Minmus.  Most of my ships arrive on station missing something important like a KIS drill.  Or supplies.  Or a way to deorbit.  I mean, I am really bad at this!

Even so, I think it's the sense of discovery.  Those planets are way the hell and gone out there and hard to get to.

We've come a long way in 4 years.  A very long way indeed. 

I've been here since early 2013, I believe is when I started. I can't remember exactly what version I started on, I think it was .18.something but here's some stuff I remember:

-The demo was .13 when I joined

-"Rovers" consisted of a fuel tank, some stuff to keep the electricity and control core alive, a rocket engine, and some landing gear strapped to the tank.

-NovaPunch, Kethane, Bobcat Ent, MechJeb pre-2.0.

-The shuttle and inline cockpit had no custom IVA just that blank plate thing.

-KSP was not on Steam yet.

-Other things.

My forum profile says April of 2013, I believe I played a few months before I made a forum profile...I...Think.....Oh wait, reading above I forgot all about the great wipe of 2013...I don't know if I had to re-create an account or not..Hm..Curious.

Edited by M5000

My profile says September 2011. Registered on the forum because back then it required forum account to preorder (yes, I did it a few days after trying KSP for the first time).  Was it really already 4 years?! It doesn't feel this long at all.

Lurking the forums since version 0.12, when landing legs where a bunch of radial decouplers attached to winglets and timewarping whilst landed on the Mun resulted with the rocket spontaneously vapourising. Kept playing throughout the alpha process because I didn't (and still don't) know of any other game with this scope and curiosity of what the version 1.0 would look like. Was fun.

I don't really play anymore because it takes ten to fifteen minutes to launch an Apollo inspired moon rocket into Kerbin orbit, yet the mission time clock tells me only three minutes have elapsed. I still haven't worked out how to get 1.0.5 running as fast as previous versions.

I have known about the game since it's beginnings. I bought the game somewhere in the late .25 version(Never played it). Got a good enough computer to finally play it in the 1.0.2 era(Never stopped playing it) Became active in the community about when 1.0.5 came out.

Long-timer here (joined November 2011), reporting in.  I haven't posted much lately due to recent events plus unpacking from the move they resulted in, but I am definitely still around.

Edited by SkyRender

I played the demo around .17 and bought the game at .18 and have been playing with sandbox mode ever since. I joined the forum for a bit and got wiped out during the forum crash. I recently rejoined the forum to ask some questions on a mod. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.