People who joined back in 2011: are any of you still here?

Panichio

I'm proud to say that I at least knew the game before reentry heat...  I'm a .90 spawn.

This is the first video of KSP I have ever seen.  I had no clue what Kerbals were, or anything he was talking about, but I soon found more of Scott's videos.

I remember Novasilisko... nuff said

I've been following in the game since 0.15, but only bought it after planets were added in 0.17. Some things of back in the day

• KSP players were almost real life rocket scientists, because they managed to do things like docking back in the days that even rendezvous needed excel computations. Does anyone remember the Kerbin-Duna cycler? Man, there wasn't even mods to calculate departure angles ;_;
  • The devs would listen to the community, and post regularly. It was much more manageable back then.
  • I remember the dread people had about going to steam, that it would draw the likes of pewdiepie and such and make the forum because a horrible mess. It did happen to some extent, but it wasn't so bad.
  • Novasilisko (or should I call him Knova? ;) ) started the trend of adding easter eggs everywhere. Like my next bullet point:
  • The magic boulder. Guys, remember the hunt for it in the forums? The naysayers saying it was a myth, that we were wasting our time. The decoding of the Duna signal (in hindsight, how did people even find it in the first place o.O) that led to clues and all kinds of theories. Sadly when Nova left no one continued his plan of making a "story mode" with mystery clues leading to other clues around the solar system.
  • Remember when the sun was Kerbol? :D 
  • Finally: when I started looking at the forums in 0.15 I remember people going crazy over the new spaceplane hangar and C7's airplane parts. Good times.

I could probably go on and on, but these are the one that stand out.

On 1/1/2016 at 8:42 PM, henryrasia said:

The magic boulder. Guys, remember the hunt for it in the forums? The naysayers saying it was a myth, that we were wasting our time. The decoding of the Duna signal (in hindsight, how did people even find it in the first place o.O) that led to clues and all kinds of theories. Sadly when Nova left no one continued his plan of making a "story mode" with mystery clues leading to other clues around the solar system.

I do remember the thing. It's the one reasons I might go back to the old versions one day, I never got to see with my own eyes, or disintegrate give it any offerings do any science to it. Which version was it that got rid of it? It was a sad day indeed. As for me, if I don't makethe mythic 2011 date, it can't be by much. I do remember v0.15, but I think I jumped on the wagon with 0.17, just before docking.

Rune. Decoding the SSTV was... astounding.

Yes, I squeezed into 2011 by about two weeks, joined at 0.13.0, still kicking because the game is still kickass.

Well.

Actually, it's mods that have really kept the game alive for me. But then they've always done that since 0.14 and plugins were created.

edit: The sun is still Kerbol! It shall never die!

Edited by cardgame

I started playing the day after the very first (0.7) Version was released, as I was very much longing for a game like KSP for a long time - and well, there was not much in the beginning, but being on the forum made it fun... mostly reading, and back then, the development was happening much more on the forums - Harvester was posting almost daily with insights to what he was working on, versions got released weekly or even more often... but most fun I always had was being on the forums.

These days, I spend about 10x as much time in the forum reading about the state of things, mods being developed etc, than playing the game...as I have logged many hundreds of hours on the game, new versions usually don't lead to me playing anymore... but I love reading about them, teaching friends how to play, and yeah.. I presume when 1.1 hits I will be playing again, as that is a big change up... we'll see.

On 1/7/2016 at 0:26 AM, 073198681 said:

I got the demo version by accident in 2011. After that, I somehow quit playing for a few years, then bought the full version on Dec 31, 2013. Does that count?

There was no demo version in 2011. The whole game was free up until December or so, and the free demo didn't follow until 2012.

I've been playing since 2011, though I missed registering on the forum in 2011 by a week or so. I don't think any other game has held my attention for so well for so long.

5 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

There was no demo version in 2011. The whole game was free up until December or so, and the free demo didn't follow until 2012.

I completely lost track of time. I got it in 2012-13. So yeah, that doesn't count.

Did I mention I get a slight feeling of fright when I post something and a moderator replies? I'm way too paranoid sometimes.

I forget which version, but the Mun was still some way off. 

Looking through some old posts on SimHQ it seems I started 13th July 2011..  That makes KSP just about the best value for money game in my rather long history of playing computer games (going way back to 1983)...

Link to SimHQ thread..

Edited by Astronut

I joined fairly recently compared to some of the people here, but I do remember playing KSP when there was only the LV-T30 and the original SRB, and I remember when they added struts.  Looking back on the version history that was 0.8 - 0.9. Then I stopped playing because there really wasn't much to do, and I forgot about KSP until I saw it on sale in July of 2013, which was version 0.20.  I joined the forums after about half a year playing, on January 12, 2014.

As for value for money, KSP probably comes a close second to Minecraft for me, but KSP is slowly catching up.

• 1 month later...

March 2012, so I survived the forum wipe.

I've been playing since about a week before we got persistance. I remember learning to orbit using one-launch-at-a-time, and with persistance I immediately started to rendezvous (without manoeuvre nodes or inclination markers, using landing legs as clamps).

On 31-12-2015 at 2:39 PM, steve58 said:

My join date is 25 Jul 2011.  As you can see I don't post much, but still play KSP occasionally.  

• 25 Jul 2011
  • 25 Jul 2011

You win :)

Just did some digging, it appears as though I first downloaded KSP v0.13 on 1/5/2012. It's hard to tell which folders are original, and which folders are ones I copied from the save, but the zip folder is listed as being modified on 1/5/2012 so I'll rest my case with that.

By the 13th I had attempted my first Mun landing with modified parts (I took a number of screenshots of it), and within a month I had done a complete stock unmodded landing on the mun. I wasn't even running a YouTube account or streaming at this point but I took screenshots along the way, which I then strung together with some Halo 3 OST music (Which to this day I don't regret doing) and subtitles. It ended up becoming the very first video I ever created. Here it is now. Crazy :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.