People who joined back in 2011: are any of you still here?

Panichio

I started with 0.13 (but i believe i've played a much earlier version). I joined the forum finally in april 2012.

KSP has changed a lot since that time. Not in the least by allowing to dock to other craft.

Like SHPaget, i believe some basic things still are missing in the basic game. Fortunately, modders have created those things so the player can use them anyway (until the 32 bits limitation). I can hardly wait for a reliable 64 bit version,

I only play it occasionally now, waiting for 1.1 and being able to run a bunch of mods without trouble, the current game (even with a couple of mods that can run without crashing) has gotten a bit stale over the years.

Fun fact: Harvester hung out at the forum where i was introduced to this game (Page 2), I think he did some scriping or modding for ArmA2 back in the day.

Hmm my account says March 2012, that's after the big forum crash or after?  I know I had an account before that, so I might be a "2011"er? lol

Still play occasionally, just don't have time  these days.  Will probably hop back on more after 1.1

2 minutes ago, Naito said:

Hmm my account says March 2012, that's after the big forum crash or after?  I know I had an account before that, so I might be a "2011"er? lol

Still play occasionally, just don't have time  these days.  Will probably hop back on more after 1.1

March 2012 is before the big crash, accounts created that month weren't lost.

On 12/31/2015 at 3:51 PM, marza said:

I still haven't worked out how to get 1.0.5 running as fast as previous versions.

You don't. The game has some additional mechanics that require a bit more computation than previous versions. Without internally nerfing things, its just going to run a little heavier than older versions. The good news, however, id that 1.1 is supposed to bring with it superior multi core support which should improve computational drag immensely. Always looking forward!

On 30/12/2015 at 4:45 PM, Panichio said:

I remember back then when I was more active in the forum I could recognize pretty much every user. As the game got bigger, the community got so huge I think I may have been overwhelmed, but at any rate I stopped really playing KSP. Are there any people out there who've kept it up since the earliest stages of the game? You know, when we didn't quite know for sure whether orbiting was possible. :P

If so, what's kept you playing, and has the direction that game took in development surprised you at all?

i dont matter very much, but i was around, been at this game since then too, i took a hiatus because my computer broke and i was no longer able to play ksp, but i built a new one so im back, but ive been here, this game and the community that surrounds it have both been my favourite ever, ive missed it a lot, whatever direction the game ends up going in ill always be here, theres nothing that can rip me from this game 

Edited by noobsrtoast

Just looked it up: 6 Oct 2011. Really doesn't feel like 4 years, but it's incredible how much KSP has grown since those days. I started out in 0.10.4, when Kerbin still had a dark side. :D
Only one active flight at a time, no RCS, no Mün or any other body for that matter. Was Kerbol already a physical body back then? I don't remember anymore.

Anyways, those years were a great time and thanks to all the guys here, who make this community such a great place.

I've been playing since the very beginning.  I'm not sure when I bought it and I've only ever lurked on the forums until today, but this post made me want to sign up and chime in.

I've kept playing, on and off, throughout the entire development.  One of the interesting things I can appreciate about my relationship with KSP is how it has taught me the basics of rocket science, aerodynamics, and orbital mechanics slowly over time as new features have been added.  Simple stuff like the practical meaning of twr, Isp and dV, what a gravity turn is, how to manipulate an orbit, etc.  More complicated things like the Oberth effect, rendezvous maneuvers, lift, drag, and CoM concerns for design of rockets and spaceplanes, the actual rocket equation, etc.  Tangential tidbits like the existence of ion and dual-mode engines (I am still floored by the idea of a SABRE engine, so cool), interesting facts about the space race and NASA's missions, etc.  Each update exposed me gradually to the actual science and history behind space travel.  I'm a smart person but my field is energy, electronics, and a bit of programming - not aerodynamics or rockets - and the fact is if you asked me 5 years ago how to catch up to an object orbiting ahead of me, I would have said "thrust towards it".  It's been a deeply rewarding learning experience that I don't think can be replicated, something that only happened because I was exposed to the game features so gradually and over such a long time.  I really appreciate that aspect of this game and it's what has kept me coming back.

I'm not surprised by the development, which I perceive as focusing a lot on the "gamey" aspects (tech tree, contracts, career mode in general).  I'm happy that the devs have enjoyed the success they have, and I believe this development focus is part of that.  Although, if I had my way (I know, I won't) I would ask the developers to focus more on expanding the flight, construction, and visual aspects, and less on career mode.  Also I think a lot of the more popular mods should be absorbed into the stock game.  But it isn't something that I really care that much about, and I'm more than happy to let the devs focus on what they want - like I said it's been a rewarding journey they have led me on.

Also, why isn't this game cell-shaded?  In my experience people usually hate cell-shading so I don't expect much agreement, but it just seems to fit perfectly with the aesthetics of this game.  I know, I know, it's an idea out of left field...but seriously, it would be perfect.  Is there a mod for this?

Hi all

Greeting from late 2011/early 2012 when someone told me to get the demo of KSP and have fun, they'd just added the mun.

Finally paid the cash for the game in april 2012 (whatever version that was) and my descent into madness as wibbly wobbly spaceships took off for outer space and the mun.......  and some even made it there.. and 2 made it back

Overall I've enjoyed the game very much, only mod I regularlly use is mech jeb and the antena models from the long range remote control mod

Best moments....  shouting "the Smegol has landed" when I finally made a controlled soft landing on the mun for the first time
Worst moments... loading a whackjob inspired monster from a previous version into 1.05 and expecting it to fly (it did..... sort of :D )

Boris

And of course, keeping my sanity together in late 2012 after a serious medical problem nearly killed me...

Joined Dec 2013 here.  I downloaded one of the early demo versions after seeing a callout on BoingBoing back in 2012. Never took the time time then to try it out.  Then in Oct 2013 I remembered KSP after a trip back to the states near the actual KSC.  Face palmed myself for not trying out earlier.

I like to think I've been around for quite a while (just checked, looks like I joined May 23, 2013, not that long after the time when the kraken ate the forum). I can't remember when I started playing, but I did find a rather old demo version once. I want to say it was 0.08 or 0.09, something like that. It had the ancient pod, no map mode, or SPH or Mun.I don't really remember playing, but I sort of remember thinking "Man, this is hard" after I played it a few times. I think someone from another game (Battle Pirates) got me into it originally, or I found it on accident some how. Then about a year or so later they mentioned it again, and by that point it had been updated, and it had the map mode, you could get into orbit,  and the Mun was there, but that was about it, in the demo anyway. I think at that point it was 0.18. A few months later it was my birthday so I bought it, and at that point it was 0.19, if I remember correctly, or it updated a few weeks later. Can't remember now. lol

As far as the direction its gone, I think it's pretty awesome. Some of the mods I liked the most, (remoteTech, Scansat, kethane, just to name a few) have basically been integrated into the stock game, although each is a little different in the stock game compared to the mod). The ONLY thing that would really make it better is better graphics, and....well if it was easier to do VR with it. Of course, the only VR device I have right now is google cardboard, which, so far as I know doesn't have anything that allows it to translate phone motion into PC motion, then of course there is the issue of sending VR data from the PC to the phone, in such a way that it would work with google cardboard, which admittedly, the resolution isn't that great, even on my Note 4.

I guess I might eventually get an Oculus, or some other VR PC device.

At anyrate, so far I've been pleased with the direction the game has gone, and can't wait to see where it goes from here. I don't think I've even got the latest version, with the new ability to dive under water. Steam on my linux desktop (yes....i got it on steam :P I originally bought the halflife box set with counterstrike, team fortress, etc, it had a thing for signing up for steam to download blueshift for free I think so i did that)....anyway, steam on my desktop won't update for some reason due to "space" issues. *Technical computer stuff ahead* For whatever reason my boot sector is only about 200mb (my fault for not checking that when I installed the OS) and for some reason updates use that space, I guess for temp files, and well...there isn't space there to do that, so updates fail. I've been meaning to do a backup wipe it and install a new linux version, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I have steam on my laptop, but until recently I was waiting to get the windows 10 update. Then when I could I didn't have enough space to download it. Fixed that, 2 or 3 times (it kept saying not enough space, and the required space kept going up, go figure). Did get it updated eventually, and all is good. My laptop is pretty ancient though so we'll see how 1.1 fairs on it.

Edited by Sma
added joined date

Yep, still around this game has so much evolved since I've starded with 0.8.5. No time warp, no saving, no manoeuver nodes, no planes, no EVA, no IVA, no Rovers. But still, lot of fun learning the basics.

Started playing when version .14  was found....Was doing the orbiter sim then found ksp. Liked it so much i paid for it.

I play cause i have to learn... and its space...its my space program.... no one is left behind or dies last mess o years. 1st big game landed everywhere to see if i could. Was mechjeb and forums... you people... which taught me. Lately its vanilla no one left behind or dies. Of course i quick save. 

On a pause til next update then  start again 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.