The Cube, transformable blocks designed to fit your structural needs. (Super Sexy Edition)

Kalzuron

The Cube

Super Sexy Firespitter Edition

A box of infinite possibilities!

Whatever you need the Cube is your answer. Hulls, cockpits, crew cabins, cargo bays, 6 way Station Hub, an observation deck, hallways, bases........

I have converted The Cube over to Firespitter due to some bugs I have encountered with JSI.

This means I had remake the model so I decided to add some curvy bits.

This is a new model and will not overwrite the original Cube. 

The New Cube Requires Firespitter

The Original Cube still Requires JSI Part Utilities

(Already included in download, the link is for updates)

Thanks to the geniuses of Mihara & Snjo for making this mod possible :cool:

Recommended Mods:

Download at Kerbal Stuff  The Cube

Updated and tested with 1.1

Download at SpaceDock The Cube

Please post any issues or questions and feel free to post pics of what you make :D

The Cube license : 

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, PO Box 1866, Mountain View, CA 94042, USA.

JSI Part Utilities license : 

RasterPropMonitor  Copyright (C) 2013 by Mihara (Eugene Medvedev)
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY!
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions, as outlined in the full content of
the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL), version 3, revision
date 29 June 2007.

Firespitter License:

You may reuse code and textures from this mod, as long as you give credit in the download file and on the download post/page. Reuse of models with permission. No reselling. No redistribution of the whole pack without permission.

UV map texture guides are included so you can re-skin to your liking.

For reuse of the plugin, please either direct people to download the dll from my official release, OR recompile the wanted partmodule/class with a new class name to avoid conflicts.

For modders re-using the dll directly, you MUST place it in the Firespitter folder in your zip file, so people don't end up with two copies of the dll.

The right path is: [KSP_OS]\GameData\Firespitter\Plugins\

Edited by Kalzuron
test with 1.1

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

The texture makes it look like a Borg cubeship, otherwise looks cool.

Also, I think per the posting rules, you need to put the license into the OP.

Isn't it fine with KerbalStuff links, because the license is posted at the download location?

As for the mod, I'm digging how versatile this is. If Tweakscale could be integrated, it could be hilarious to do a Borg playthrough where every ship is a cube, just with relevant stuff inside

Thank you, good eye. I posted late last night and must have forgotten. I'm not too happy with the outer texture myself, but textures aren't my strong suit so I use what I can find. I'll more than likely change it on the next update if I can find a better one. 

7 hours ago, TruthQuark said:

So this is a procedural cube? Can we make rectabgles?

It's not procedural, it's configurable, but you put 2 together and remove the adjoining walls and you'd have a rectangle. :)

To clarify, it's a cube made out of panels  that can be turn on or off depending on what you need it to be. I'll try to make an animated gif of different configurations

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

Someone suggested this could be useful for creating interior spaces in my mod WW2 Warships ... I'd like to see a demo :-)

8 hours ago, ThaZeus said:

This is a  neat looking mod, ill have to test it out! 

I going to try finishing and upload a new version tonight if I can manage. I'll see about a making demo vid as well, but I haven't had much success with any of the recording software I've tried so it might have to be a gif

Does the Cube allow fuels to move through? 

I have a Cube-based probe nearly orbiting Duna, and when I went to activate said probe's engine, it flamed out due to the fuel not being transferred. 

I've already invested too many hours in this darned thing to restart to run fuel lines. :(

11 minutes ago, antiwesley said:

Does the Cube allow fuels to move through? 

I have a Cube-based probe nearly orbiting Duna, and when I went to activate said probe's engine, it flamed out due to the fuel not being transferred. 

I've already invested too many hours in this darned thing to restart to run fuel lines. :(

Sorry, I must have overlooked that part in the cfg. Just add "fuel crossfeed = true" anywhere in the top of the cfg after "mass".  When you load your game again it should be fixed. 

Prototype Demo Ship first launch photos

Ok, it didn't fly but I didn't expect it to so I'm not too upset, but I did find out that the cubes float really well :D  So while it wasn't a successful launch of an aircraft, it was a successful launch of a boat :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There @Kalzuron,

This is an intriguing mod, I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit.

I'm trying to fix up the CKAN submission from Kerbalstuff, and I suspect there's going to be an issue down the track due to your current release's version number "Mk2" not fitting at all with your previous releases (and I can't see where you're going to go next with the numbering). Can I suggest making it version 3, instead?

Also, you have Firespitter's github repository in your "Source Code" field.

7 hours ago, politas said:

Hi There @Kalzuron,

This is an intriguing mod, I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit.

I'm trying to fix up the CKAN submission from Kerbalstuff, and I suspect there's going to be an issue down the track due to your current release's version number "Mk2" not fitting at all with your previous releases (and I can't see where you're going to go next with the numbering). Can I suggest making it version 3, instead?

Also, you have Firespitter's github repository in your "Source Code" field.

Yeah, I deviated from the normal the version numbering because I didn't want to overwrite the original cube.  Since I was converting it to Firespitter I wanted people to have a choice to keep the old one if they preferred it and I didn't want anyone's already built ships to "break" when they updated. 

I'm working on more cube inspired parts and will upload them soon. They will packaged together so I'll keep the version number successive from that point on.  

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

I'm using this in my career, one of the most useful mods ever done, in all its semplicity. Thank you very much!!!

Don't mention it :D But I can't take all the credit. Mihara & Snjo did the hard work of making the plugins, I'm just using them in a different way.

Well, telling the thruth, there's a lot of wonderful mods all round based on those plugins that are incredibles, but this one deserve an honorable mention for his semplicity and usefulness in a great amount of tasks. Here you can see a couple of missions when the cube was necessary (sadly not in english yet): http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1983

• 1 month later...

I stumbled across this on Spacedock, and I've been tooling around with it in the VAB for a bit - it's pretty neat. A couple of suggestions:

• Better description on Spacedock: currently the main page just says it requires the Firespitter dll. I don't know if you can have the gif from the OP in there, but that would be grand, since that perfectly encapsulates what this does.
  • I believe Firespitter's (since you're already using it) has the ability for texture switching as well. Something to consider, since although I like the texture, I wouldn't mind an option or two closer to stock textures for blending purposes.
  • This one is probably not worth your while to implement, but it's just a thought: a return to "default state", or a "previous shape" button. Basically, I started hitting all the buttons and came up with some Picasso style abomination that wasn't remotely usable. I know I could just trash it and start over, but say it was the root part, or had parts attached to it. I guess a little more control than just cycling through all the buttons again (especially when you forget which you hit).

That's about all I have at the moment. Out of curiosity, how does this perform aerodynamically? I have FAR installed, and I'm wondering if this will render as a cube even if I curve it (I think that depends on whether colliders get changed, from what I've heard).

Anyway, just my 2 cents (which may not even be worth that:P); take it for what it's worth.

Cheers.

@Deimos Rast ,

Constructive criticism is appreciated :) 

Texture switching is something I'm planning on implementing in the future, but I'm no artist so I get my textures from online sources and I've yet to find one I like for stock.

A "revert to default" is something I can look in to adding. It's been 15 years since I've coded anything myself but I've been fiddling with plugins in anticipation of 1.1, and I'll be making a shipwide plugin to handle my parts including "The Cube" . So you can look forward to a better interface.

Performance does depend on the shape, though it still needs more testing. The colliders are simple boxes where they can be, but are mesh colliders for round parts.

Feel free to post more about your experience with it that you think could help improve it.

I'll work on the description. I have to say describing it is almost as hard as designing it was :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.