I will TRY TO DO A 6000m\s JET SPEED RECORD !!!!

Do you think that i will do that ? :D  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that i will do that ? :D

• Yes ! Of course
    • No way man
    • You got a little chance
    • You got a Big chance !

41 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

Faring and a shielded docking port.

The fairing is attached inline to the rear of the shielding docking part?  In my experience inline attached fairings had always fared (hehe) very poorly.  Is there some trick here, or does this just work well?

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

Actually, I went to space, and re-entered the atmosphere at 7,500 m/s, it slowed down, and I screenshotted the numbers a few seconds before I exploded.

Lots of heat shielding is needed to reproduce this.

I used rocket engines as well, technically, but the jet engines I had, sustained the speed pretty well until I exploded.

Edited by He_162

14 hours ago, EvermoreAlpaca said:

The fairing is attached inline to the rear of the shielding docking part?  In my experience inline attached fairings had always fared (hehe) very poorly.  Is there some trick here, or does this just work well?

The inline fairing pruduce drag depending on the angle of it. Pointier is better. The docking ports drag is not affected at all by the fairing. Note that the docking ports drag is still affected by the size of the node it is attached to, despite that that is behind the fairing. 

4 hours ago, Nefrums said:

The inline fairing pruduce drag depending on the angle of it. Pointier is better. The docking ports drag is not affected at all by the fairing. Note that the docking ports drag is still affected by the size of the node it is attached to, despite that that is behind the fairing. 

I may of misunderstood what was going on here.  Is this a full fairing, or an inline fairing?  Also did you surpass 1713.4 m/s in level or ascending flight?

Edited by EvermoreAlpaca

Your only possible chance would to be using an intense number of whiplashes that you can get into space (This part is very possible, ive done it stock), then somehow work out the perfect angle where you get just low enough in the atmoshphere to get enough intake air with your insane amount of intakes, accelerate, have enough extra parts that explode before your cockpit, come back around, and then try and do another burn, which could maybe just slightly maybe get you to the speed you need (Although you would probably have to go back around in your orbit to reach that speed), granted you would have had most of your plane, discluding the cockpit, blown up already.

And then again, this would take an insane amount of tries and still might not be possible as its just speculation.

EDIT: I have recently learned that jets wont produce thrust at above 1752 m/s, so this is an entirely impossible theory. I dont think this has any possible way of working, unless you counted rapiers which would make it easy.

Edited by nosirrbro

The TRJ produces exactly zero thrust at mach 5.5 (about 1650 m/s at altitude).  The RAPIER has zero thrust at mach 6 in jet mode (about 1800 m/s at altitude).  You could maybe push that up a bit in the lower atmosphere because the speed of sound is higher (and the thrust curve is based on mach, not absolute speed).  Exactly how close to those numbers you will be able to get depends on the specifics of how much thrust/drag you have, but you will not be able to sustain powered flight beyond that.

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

The TRJ produces exactly zero thrust at mach 5.5 (about 1650 m/s at altitude).  The RAPIER has zero thrust at mach 6 in jet mode (about 1800 m/s at altitude).  You could maybe push that up a bit in the lower atmosphere because the speed of sound is higher (and the thrust curve is based on mach, not absolute speed).  Exactly how close to those numbers you will be able to get depends on the specifics of how much thrust/drag you have, but you will not be able to sustain powered flight beyond that.

Only problem with that is you increase drag and heat by going lower. After about 5.5, I'm finding it hard to maintain even a constant speed below 15km.

On 1/8/2016 at 10:34 PM, 073198681 said:

What, the hypersoar?

Yeah.

On 1/8/2016 at 11:37 AM, Nefrums said:

But that is on Laythe right?   Is that not against the rules?

OP didn't say it was, so if anyone does want to try on Laythe, it seems golden.

On 1/8/2016 at 0:59 PM, Nefrums said:

Well the highest speed possible with only jets apears to be the same in 1.0.5 as it was in previous versions.

Rapiers sill flame out at at ~1751 m/s

Easily verified by just adding MOAR BOOOOOSTERSS!!

IIRC, the stock Rapiers produce max thrust at 3.7. While B9's sabre engines' max thrust is at 4.5. B9 also has slightly higher heat tolerances. Yeah, I know this is stock only, but I've been considering doing a B9 run just to see what the max jet speed stock aero allows is.

On 1/9/2016 at 6:49 PM, He_162 said:

It is not impossible.

http://i.imgur.com/sA65Msd.png?1

Shots of the outside?

On 1/9/2016 at 7:48 AM, He_162 said:

Actually, I went to space, and re-entered the atmosphere at 7,500 m/s, it slowed down, and I screenshotted the numbers a few seconds before I exploded.

Which seriously [violates] the OP requirement of JET powered level flight in atmosphere at 6000m/s, which you pretend to support

I played around with Mk3 Hypersonic Systems in my no-heat sandbox game. It was fun figuring out how to tweak the config files to get a faster jet.  You need to modify the rapier and the ram air intake config files. I commented out the default values.

GameData/Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine.cfg

Spoiler

velCurve
{   
//  key = 0 1 0 0.08333334
//  key = 0.2 0.98 0.42074 0.42074
//  key = 0.7 1.8 2.290406 2.290406
//  key = 1.4 4.00 3.887193 3.887193
//  key = 3.75 8.5 0 0
//  key = 4.5 7.3 -2.831749 -2.831749
//  key = 5.5 3 -5.260566 -5.260566
//  key = 6 0 -0.02420209 0
key = 0 1 0 0.08333334
key = 0.2 0.98 0.42074 0.42074
key = 0.7 1.8 2.290406 2.290406
key = 1.4 4 3.887193 2
key = 5 10 2 0
key = 20 10 0 -2
key = 25 1 -2 -1
key = 27 0 -0.02 0
}
atmCurve
{
    // higher thrust at altitude than even TRJ
    //key = 0 0 0 0
    //key = 0.018 0.09 7.914787 7.914787
    //key = 0.08 0.3 1.051923 1.051923
    //key = 0.35 0.5 0.3927226 0.3927226
    //key = 1 1 1.055097 0
    key = 0 0 0 0
    key = 0.001 0.2 200 200
    key = 0.01 0.8 66.66667 66.66667
    key = 0.04 0.9 3.33333 3.33333
    key = 0.5 0.98 0.17391 0.17391
    key = 1 1 0.04 0

GameData/Squad/Parts/Aero/ramAirIntake/ramAirIntake.cfg

Spoiler

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleResourceIntake
    resourceName = IntakeAir
    checkForOxygen = true
    area = 0.0074
    intakeSpeed = 10
    intakeTransformName = Intake
    machCurve
    {
        key = 0 0.85 0 0
        key = 1 1 0 0
        key = 2 0.95 -0.08751557 -0.08751557
    //  key = 4 0.5 -0.4034287 -0.4034287
    //  key = 8 0.01 0 0
        key = 24 0.5 -0.4034287 -0.4034287
        key = 28 0.01 0 0
    }
}

airCurve I think is engine performance depending on the altitude and machCurve controls the air intake performance depending on the speed.

velCurve I think controls the engine power output depending on the speed. So you can see in the chart how there's no way a stock rapier can get you to 6000m/s (mach 18). So you need to modify the config files. (I copied the scram jet's airCurve)

JjymH4Z.png

Cheaty result with overpowered stock parts:

aC0mmo0.png

You keep running out of planet, so I recommend a mod for that. 

Edited by iLikeRovers

Correct me if I'm wrong (and It's quite possible that I am) but won't heating kill your ship long before you hit 6 km/s? I don't feel like the engines are the problem so much as the aerodynamics and overheating. I've dabbled slightly (very slightly) with high-speed high-altitude aircraft, and their top speed was usually determined by how many radiators I'd strapped to them, not how powerful their engines were. 

Basically what I'm attempting to assume here is: when you encounter the atmosphere at 600000 cm/s (hooray for the metric system!) you die. Period.

Also, did the OP just say "stock?" When did the engines have to be jets? (Other than in the title). 

Edited by Ehco Corrallo

It was in earths atmosphere, and it is orbital because I just re-entered, and I was not using jets, but again... it is possible...

You have to use jet engines, but you also have to go to space.

The jet engines also must have an insane amount of air intakes for them to work as such

You may also need 30+ RAPIER engines to do so, and that is only using the RAPIER as a jet engine.

The easiest way is with rockets, the hardest, and nearly impossible way is with the jet engines, which cut out WAY before your speed, so you have to find a way to gain enough momentum to get to that speed.

It is really really hard, and I have only done so once, back in 0.90, I can't find the screenshot, but it is super duper hard to do, and I doubt it is possible on Kerbin.

Question: Can you get to the speed with rocket engines, and then sustain it with jet engines?

On 1/7/2016 at 7:24 AM, The Optimist said:

Also, how old is the OP?

...What? What kind of question is that?

To be honest, yeah, 6000 m/s sounds.. just too ambitious. The OP might not achieve it, but hey, at least he'll try. Probably break other speed records in the process.

On 1/16/2016 at 9:23 PM, Columbia said:

...What? What kind of question is that?

To be honest, yeah, 6000 m/s sounds.. just too ambitious. The OP might not achieve it, but hey, at least he'll try. Probably break other speed records in the process.

Not being creepy, don't worry. I was assuming that the OP wasn't very old, from the grammar of his posts. 

My airspeed record was back in 0.23, but not using stock jets (which were overpowered), using thermal turbojets from the Interstellar mod. I don't have a picture, but it was the most simplistic a plane can be, just the essentials, and it was probe controlled to save weight. Now, in 0.23, this challenge would have been harder if not using stock OP engines, since the atmosphere was soup. Technically there is no speed limit for a ramjet (which the thermal jet is, it has no turbine), but it was powered by 3 orbital fission reactors beaming around 12GW of power into a microwave receiver on the plane to use the engine. I managed to get approximately 2000m/s. However there was no heating back in that version. I haven't tried it yet, and it obviously won't count for this challange, but if you use the thermal jet and beamed power from antimatter reactors (you will get several hundred GW) , you could probably reach 6000m/s, provided there's no heating.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.