After going EVA, now listed as tourist?

Alright, I've found an odd bug...that almost cost me an entire mission and Jeb's life! *GASP!* After returning from my first Mun orbit on a new game, I noticed I forgot to gather the science out of the experiments at about 250km up on a suborbital flight doing about 2500kps. Let's just say I didn't have a lot of time to get them out! Went EVA, gathered half of them, entered into the capsule. Attempted to go EVA again to get the other half, but the EVA button was greyed out and states "Tourists may not disembark from the vessel." What's worse, now that he was classified as a tourist by the game he couldn't control the ship!

Has anyone run into this issue before? I couldn't find any related posts, but that's more likely due to the fact that there a tons of "tourists can't eva" posts, making it difficult to search for an answer to my particular problem. I thought maybe it was the 2 man capsule mod, but I tried it on the standard Mk1 and had the same issue on the launchpad. As it wasn't a crash would this even show up in the logs? To avoid his death I downloaded Hyperedit (Don't judge me!) and used the land feature to keep him from burning up on reentry. When it comes to Mun landings this is going to be a real problem....

Edit: Did some checking, and in sandbox or a brand new career game this doesn't occur. Went back to my bugged game, and I see now that anyone I EVA'd has lost their job title and is now listed as a tourist. Weirder still, after upgrading the astronaut complex from stage 2 to stage 3 a freshly hired pilot does not turn into a tourist upon going EVA on the launch pad and re-entering the capsule as happened to Valentina and Bill. Weird weird weird. Reloaded a quick save, tried this again with orange suits and it appears that it's only Bill, Bob, Jeb, and Val that are affected by this issue.

Edited by Vladthemad

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.