[KSP 1.0.X] Kerbal Object Inspector - View all game objects in KSP!

IRnifty

XPGbX1Z.png

Kerbal Object Inspector

v1.0: Release

This software is provided "as-is" with no warranties.

Presented under the GPL v3 license.

Creation and/or publication of media (images, videos, etc.) while using this software is authorized.

Created by: Nifty255

Copyright 2016 All rights reserved.

This mod is in RELEASE. However, bugs can still happen. If you have a bug, or a suggestion, please leave it in a mature manner.

DOWNLOAD: SpaceDock OR GitHub

SOURCE: GitHub

Get Kerbal Object Inspector on CKAN!

FEATURES:

Kerbal Object inspector is a plugin which allows mod developers to see exactly what's going on in the background of any game scene by listing every game object and their properties.

- Easy to use interface.

- Lists all game objects, mesh or not.

- Organizes game objects based on the Unity hierarchy. Child objects are displayed indented under parent objects.

- Displays transform and other component information for any game object.

- Efficiently renders a wireframe on any game object with a mesh.

- Objects that are a parent of the selected object have dimmer wireframes.

CHANGELOG:

v1.0:

- INITIAL RELEASE

Edited by IRnifty

So I imagine this would be invaluable for anyone who wants to author a mod that tinkers around with UI.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that when KSP 1.1 hits, it's going to be a seismic event that's going to wreak havoc with game object structure... I imagine a lot of mods that work directly with UI are going to need significant rewriting.

It's why I'm holding off on writing UI-intensive mods until 1.1, figure I might as well start building after the earthquake. :)  When I do that, having a tool like this would be great, and I plan to be clamoring for it.

So... do you plan to do whatever reworking will be needed to get it to run in 1.1?

The 1.1 update will indeed mess with the UI. It'll take some time for all of us mod authors to figure out how to best reimplement our UI's, more for some than others, but rest assured, I will make the attempt to update all of my mods with the new UI once I learn it.

Edited by IRnifty

Great addition - thank you.

A couple suggestions for the next update:

1) Make the screen size configurable - maybe a setting in a cfg file. Reason - I have an old computer and the current window size goes off screen.

2) Add a button to open close the windows (stock button/blittzy's/minimize-maximize - any would work). Reason - with a small screen I was dragging the screen off to the side so I could manipulate objects to get to the state I wanted and then dragging the windows back - then repeat.

Anyway great tool - now part of my tool box.

The mesh-rendering part would be really great repurposed as a “radar visualization” mode for landing craft.  Sometimes it’s very dark where you’re trying to pick a landing spot, and it would be nice to be able to send out a radar ping and get a view of the terrain below…

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2016 at 3:31 PM, IRnifty said:

Should already be in CKAN. I uploaded it to KerbalStuff.com, so they should have taken care of that...

The KerbalStuff automatic submission is very unreliable. I'm looking into this mod now.

EDIT: Should be showing up in CKAN within the next couple of hours.

Edited by politas

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to the party. The mod displays ALL game objects in any given scene at any given time, along with ALL attached components. It's basically the exact same thing as the Unity Editor's inspector, except in-game. It just so happens that the wireframe system also displays on anything with a mesh renderer/skinned mesh renderer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this. (Nifty :cool:) Very very handy. BTW: your download links are busted. I did get it from Github.
I echo the other suggestion, being able to resize or close/open would be very handy as when I am debugging or testing I run in windowed mode and it takes up a lot of real estate.
Another suggestion - would be very handy if it listed attached Animations as well.

Edited by JPLRepo

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much.  This will make modding easier!

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've released an updated version for 1.2 with significant improvements here:

I would presume on the two licenses, it is simply dual licensed.  It's sort of an either or thing unless otherwise specified. You can use it under all rights reserved freeware license or under GPL 3.

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

Thank you so much.  This will make modding easier!

I would presume on the two licenses, it is simply dual licensed.  It's sort of an either or thing unless otherwise specified. You can use it under all rights reserved freeware license or under GPL 3.

I asked Squad, and Squad contacted the FSF, they were essentially puzzled about it as well.

Doesn't really matter.  If the author contacts me, I'll follow his wishes.

I would presume dual licensed unless the author said otherwise.   Several programs have been released under such a dual license as well.  It basically means the author is reserving the rights to release other/future versions all rights reserved.  Usually the GPL implies this if you read the fine print but some authors like to make sure they have a right to relicense their original version if they so please.

Edited by Ruedii

On 11/5/2016 at 9:16 PM, Ruedii said:

I would presume dual licensed unless the author said otherwise.   Several programs have been released under such a dual license as well.  It basically means the author is reserving the rights to release other/future versions all rights reserved.  Usually the GPL implies this if you read the fine print but some authors like to make sure they have a right to relicense their original version if they so please.

It wasn't clear.  He should have stated that, instead he just listed two licenses, and both Squad and the FSF were unsure as to his meaning.

Doesn't matter.  I released under the GPL, he is free to do whatever he wants, including asking me to take it down

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.