[1.0.5] KAS Assembled Aerobraking Shield

AlbertKermin

After just recently getting my version of Unity running again, I decided to test it out with a mini-mod of possibly epic proportions (At least, I've never seen any similar mods, and I'm fairly sure it's a good idea).

Introducing the first design from startup Extra-Kerbin Assembly Ltd.  (an AKI group company)- the  Extra-Kerbin-Assembled Aerobraking Shield! This large-but-flimsy heat shield is not designed to protect a spacecraft while descending through an atmosphere, but rather to protect it from the rigors of aero- braking .

Uoq0zuB.png

What is this?

Essentially, this is a 2.5 meter heat shield, with only a thin ablative coating, to which can be fitted with (through KAS, KIS, or in the VAB) eight additional panels that expand it to a 5-meter radius.

It isn't intended to protect the craft through a full re-entry, but rather protect it while aerobraking at high altitudes.

Anyway, here are a few screenshots of it in action-

Download: Kerbalstuff

Download: Spacedock

Donate (and hopefully encourage my brain to cook up even more interesting stuff): Paypal

Required Mods:

Kerbal Attachment System/Kerbal Inventory System

License:

BSD

Credits:

KospY, for the KAS/KIS mod this mod depends on.

Dunrana, for testing it out.

Edited by AlbertKermin
Corrected spelling

36 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

This looks awesome, and probably won't voraciously consume my ram from the looks of it.

No, it's only two 512x512 textures, and my models are fairly low-poly, since I don't have that much RAM myself. I am going to update it here in a second though, because I forgot to convert the textures to .dds :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

Does it definitely require both KAS and KIS? Can it not function purely via VAB assembly?

On 28/01/2016 at 5:07 AM, grimlock14 said:

The Kerbalstuff page seems to indicate that this mod is available with ckan, but ckan disagrees.  Which is in error?

Needs manual attention to get into CKAN, which hasn't happened yet.

Edited by politas

28 minutes ago, politas said:

When you say BSD for the licence, do you mean the original 4 clause version, the new 3-clause version, or the FreeBSD 2 clause?

I'm not that great on legal matters, so it was a license ? :blush:

Reading up on the BSD licence, I may be changing it to Simplifed BSD at some point, since I think that better reflects what I wanted the licence to be.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlbertKermin said:

Took longer than expected, but this mod is now on Spacedock. :)

Will you be re-uploading version 2 there? It seems what you've uploaded is version 1. (The v2 I'm comparing to is available from the KerbalStuff dump at http://i.52k.de/kspmods/storage/albertKermin_7866/KAS_Assembled_Areobraking_Shield/KAS_Assembled_Areobraking_Shield-2.zip).

10 hours ago, plague006 said:

Will you be re-uploading version 2 there? It seems what you've uploaded is version 1. (The v2 I'm comparing to is available from the KerbalStuff dump at http://i.52k.de/kspmods/storage/albertKermin_7866/KAS_Assembled_Areobraking_Shield/KAS_Assembled_Areobraking_Shield-2.zip).

Oops!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PDelta41 said:

I'm having an issue where the side attachment nodes disappear, so I can't attach the outer bit. Anyone else encounter this?

I've not really seen that bug before- what versions of KAS/KIS are you running?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.