Looking for Apollo Saturn V stock only with lander

Just now, Rune said:

Should be a sight to see, you doing something with such a constraint. I did take a look at mine, BTW. I am getting the hang of fairings, I think with just the little mod that lets you get rid of the confetti and select the number of panels (stock clamshell fairings), I can modify Phoebus to have all those faring-related things you like so much, and a not-2.5m-but-also-not-3.75m S-IVb.

Rune. So far it's a perfect shape, and a lot of staging explosions.

Should be a sight to see, you doing something with such a constraint. I did take a look at mine, BTW. I am getting the hang of fairings, I think with just the little mod that lets you get rid of the confetti and select the number of panels (stock clamshell fairings), I can modify Phoebus to have all those faring-related things you like so much, and a not-2.5m-but-also-not-3.75m S-IVb. Without adding more than 10 parts, of course ;)

Rune. So far it's a perfect shape, and a lot of staging explosions.

Well that's kind of you to say Rune. It's basic like my Selene original, which inspired a few people. I of course had to sacrifice the overall shape as using the largest diameter tanks is not enough to balance the size of the three Kerbal pod.. But i think its as detailed as humanly possible whilst staying under 200 parts. The issue with the fairings is you need mods to get the most out of them and even then they are terrible and you have to show the ugly out of place grey base if you don't want explosions along with your non confetti fairings. The simple fact is making them yourself looks better and operates better. You cannot fire through squad fairings, using mods or stock the faring must be released before the engine can fire even if the fairing separated away... Plus you have those yellow lines around it. I know someone making a Saturn V body, full size with fairings. And whilst it is a very impressive bit of work it looks pain wrong.

23 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Well that's kind of you to say Rune. It's basic like my Selene original, which inspired a few people. I of course had to sacrifice the overall shape as using the largest diameter tanks is not enough to balance the size of the three Kerbal pod.. But i think its as detailed as humanly possible whilst staying under 200 parts. The issue with the fairings is you need mods to get the most out of them and even then they are terrible and you have to show the ugly out of place grey base if you don't want explosions along with your non confetti fairings. The simple fact is making them yourself looks better and operates better. You cannot fire through squad fairings, using mods or stock the faring must be released before the engine can fire even if the fairing separated away... Plus you have those yellow lines around it. I know someone making a Saturn V body, full size with fairings. And whilst it is a very impressive bit of work it looks pain wrong.

I would like to thank you again, i wonder does if i download mod faring, does i can remove struts and where i can download fairing mod?

I used it once but now i cannot remember where download it :-( 

Just now, Pawelk198604 said:

I would like to thank you again, i wonder does if i download mod faring, does i can remove struts and where i can download fairing mod?

I used it once but now i cannot remember where download it :-( 

A pleasure good sir!

I am not very well informed about part mods as I don't use them. The issue you where having is too much weight up top. You did nothing wrong in the build it is an issue with Squads fairings. They are poorly thought out and badly executed, don't feel bad about that.

It is worth getting used to strutting if you continue to use the stock fairings and I think you would probably still need to do this with mod fairings as the issue is a combination of weak joints and badly designed parts. There are mods that increase the joint strength so you would not see any wobble.

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

A pleasure good sir!

I am not very well informed about part mods as I don't use them. The issue you where having is too much weight up top. You did nothing wrong in the build it is an issue with Squads fairings. They are poorly thought out and badly executed, don't feel bad about that.

It is worth getting used to strutting if you continue to use the stock fairings and I think you would probably still need to do this with mod fairings as the issue is a combination of weak joints and badly designed parts. There are mods that increase the joint strength so you would not see any wobble.

I wonder does real Saturn-Apollo used struts :D

I wonder how NASA in real life deal with stability of LEM within rocket?

22 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I wonder does real Saturn-Apollo used struts :D

I wonder how NASA in real life deal with stability of LEM within rocket?

The CSM is attached to the fairing I think, it is not connected to the LEM in any way. That is part of what made Mulbins Munbug such an amazing build. The fact he managed to do that with stock parts and no editor gizmos. That and the fairing he made. I believe I was the only other person to recreate it. Those are the reasons it was, and will always be the most impressive KSP build, *Jeremy Clarkson voice*, in the world.

Edited by Majorjim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.