More Problems Ahead for Russian Space Agency

fredinno

http://www.voanews.com/content/analysts-russian-space-agency-restructure-unlikely-to-fix-problems/3124917.html

The renationalisation of Russian Space is unlikely to fix anything, analysts say.

"Russia, when it encounters a problem — and Roscosmos, indeed, has got a lot of problems — it always chooses a bureaucratic method and instead of one bureaucratic structure, they create another one, arranging a management shake-up," said Alexander Golts, a defense analyst and deputy editor at Ezhednevny Zhurnal. "But this shake-up only means a victory of one bureaucratic clan over the other. It doesn't mean that things in Roscosmos will improve."

"Unfortunately, after the fall of the USSR," Golts said, "we did not succeed in creating a normal system where all parties were interested in producing the parts for the military industrial complex. And that's why the crashes and accidents happen all the time."

And this is coming at a time when SpaceX is reducing profit margins for commercial launches, and CCDev is finally going into full force thanks to Congress.

This is a little off topic, but might Rocosmos be able to make a profitable business by using commercial astronaut rides into space, or something similar to DragonLab with their Soyuz, while competing with Dragon and CST-100? Just an idea.

Short term, maybe. Long term, very doubtful. Russia still has an edge on heavy lifters. They should focus on that. Ideally, I would say, while also developing cheaper alternative for manned launches, but my hopes aren't particularly high there. There were enough problems with corruption and shortage of skilled professionals to begin with. But with economic situation being what it is, expecting them to turn it around in the next decade is silly.

6 hours ago, K^2 said:

Short term, maybe. Long term, very doubtful. Russia still has an edge on heavy lifters. They should focus on that. Ideally, I would say, while also developing cheaper alternative for manned launches, but my hopes aren't particularly high there. There were enough problems with corruption and shortage of skilled professionals to begin with. But with economic situation being what it is, expecting them to turn it around in the next decade is silly.

You know, like the high-failure prone, hypergolic-fueled Proton?

Honestly, the Delta IV Heavy isn't any better, but I think we have to agree the real edge in heavy lifters is currently the Ariane.

They have a edge on Soyuz- level rockets though- it launched 17 times last year. It still is suffering launch failures though, so that's a problem.

On January 4, 2016 at 8:50 PM, fredinno said:

You know, like the high-failure prone, hypergolic-fueled Proton?

Honestly, the Delta IV Heavy isn't any better, but I think we have to agree the real edge in heavy lifters is currently the Ariane.

They have a edge on Soyuz- level rockets though- it launched 17 times last year. It still is suffering launch failures though, so that's a problem.

successfully, take off two i believe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.