If KSP and SimplePlanes had a baby..

Superman

What would it look like if KSP and SP had a baby? I personally enjoy the creativity of Simpleplanes, but KSP has better graphics etc. 

Thinking about improvements, I think KSP needs some sort of an advanced damage model and water physics. I mean in KSP if you crash the ship into the water there's a small sploosh and everything is gone. What if the ship would actually disintegrate and sink? I need ideas for other inprovements too and it'd be cool if the adminstrators would see this post.

Happy new year, bye!

Edited by Superman

If both games had a baby we would have pWings and propellers in KSP and I think I would actually like both of those things.

SimplePlanes is very cool for a mobile game, but it doesn't have much more than KSP has. It's basically KSP with less rockets.

Edited by Veeltch

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I would pay good money for a spin-off called Kerbal Flight Program more dedicated to plane flight with a more detailed Kerbin, things to fly around and do, more advanced atmospheric planes and no space.  KSP is a space game first and foremost and planes suffer for that, I really think having a game with KSP's build style but dedicated to planes would be a great thing.

13 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I would pay good money for a spin-off called Kerbal Flight Program more dedicated to plane flight with a more detailed Kerbin, things to fly around and do, more advanced atmospheric planes and no space.  KSP is a space game first and foremost and planes suffer for that, I really think having a game with KSP's build style but dedicated to planes would be a great thing.

I would also pay money for that.

Edited by Veeltch

• 3 years later...

II’d love a high fidelity Kerbal-like game with realistic proportions and realistic looking tech and astronauts... less cartoony, but with a similar easy intuitive construction interface, less comical physics (wobbly things lol) etc...

I assume there isn’t already one that I don’t know of. 

1 hour ago, Eklykti said:

Well, now we have some sort of answer in form of Simple Rockets 2.

:0 I’ll look it up!

...hmmm, looks interesting. Anyone played it and have thoughts about how it stacks up against kerbal?

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

..hmmm, looks interesting. Anyone played it and have thoughts about how it stacks up against kerbal?

I put most of my thoughts on it in this thread, as did some others.

I don't know how telling it is that I've not touched the game since my last post there :)

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/3/2016 at 5:40 PM, Alshain said:

There isn't one YET - but please be patient, as I am myself currently working on just exactly this project.

I suppose there isn't any point in keeping it under wraps, especially after I went down to FSExpo in Orlando recently and told everyone whom would listen about the idea...

Anyways, the concept is basically the long-lost lovechild of KSP and the grand classic "Crimson Skies"

It goes like this:

TWQ24mJ.jpg

And this is quite honestly a work in progress at this exact moment. I kid you not! - This is what I'm actually staking my career as a game developer on

I wasn't gonna post about it until we had our web forum setup and whatnot, but oh well, I knew the demand for this concept was much too high for it not to pop up all by itself sooner or later... So yeah, it's out there now - MotorWings is a real thing, and I'm the lead developer of it.

Here's a free screenshot of our running prototype: 

image.png

This features full physics-based simulation built on a "fly-by-parts" approach. That is, the airplane is really just the sum of it's parts, each one of which is programmed to react to airflow and forces in their own specialized way .

Parts are then connected by slightly flexible joints (not too wobbly, but enough so that long wings will realistically flex) - and there's a bunch of options on wing parts to define how they should react to pilot controls, like say "this part is a wing with an aileron section - move it up and down along with input X axis" and so and such...

I haven't coded the editor (hangar) interface yet, and for now I've been arranging the airplane parts using the unity scene editor so that I can debug the basic flight dynamics...

...I suppose I should write up a proper thread about all this, since there's a whole lot to the project which is awkward to elaborate here. It'd certainly derail the OP's thread for one thing.    I'll definitely start a topic about it shortly.

Let me leave you for now with an artistic impression of an envisioned in-game scene:

tumblr_n60audi28g1qmgc9xo2_r1_1280.png

Cheerz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.