Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) 1.6.1 - Milestones, Air Flights, Coast Guard

inigma

15 hours ago, inigma said:

Proof that I'm working on GAP: :P

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207853186

We don't need proof that is being worked on, just released compatible mod :).

Just kidding, keep working on it whenever you got time and whenever it provide some joy when you create it as well as other enjoy playing it.

On 9.12.2017 at 10:05 PM, BureauJaeger said:

Sorry, I haven't tried since 1.2.2 and I don't even have KSP installed atm. I could set it up for testing though if I have time, I'd love to help since updated GAP is the main thing I've been waiting for to start a new career game.

Well the bus mission seems to work now (KSP 1.3.1&GAP 1.2.9), with only few additional mods at least, so it may have been a mod compatibility issue or something else got fixed in the meantime. And the tourists' spawning was fine too, nobody exploded.

However, and this has likely nothing to do with GAP itself but just as a heads-up, I installed the Mac version of KSP for a change (usually running on Win10 via Bootcamp) and I'm getting a massive fps drop from the tourists. Just looking at the bunch from the runway slows everything to a crawl. I never had this problem before and it seems really bizarre, 6-7 Kerbals in one scene isn't that many. A quick search pointed to similar lag problems with the VAB/SPH construction crew in Mac 1.3. so my wild guess would be there's some hiccup going on with Kerbals in OpenGL. Any other Mac people lurking around, is this a known issue?

I'm having problems with the mission Barnstorming Jeb's Tool shed, from Wright Aeronautical. I build a plane, either stock or with mods, but as soon as I deploy it on the runway, the mission fails. I do have a bit of a heavily modded game but no other mission gives me this type of problem. I don't even have time to stop the plane and do the pre-flight checks, the mission is failed as soon as I deploy the plane. Anyone had the same problem and if so, is it related to any other mod installed? I'm currently using latest version from Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purprose 1.2.9 with KSP 1.3.1

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 5:38 AM, Devnull.13 said:

Anyone had the same problem and if so, is it related to any other mod installed? I'm currently using latest version from Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purprose 1.2.9 with KSP 1.3.1

I'm having the same problem. I don't think it's related to any other mods. I'm also using 1.2.9, but I'm on KSP 1.4

I was working on 1.3.1 compatibility when 1.4 hit. I am working on it for 1.4.1. I am going to cull some contracts to make things easier to update in the future. Im ceasing expanding this pack's scope as well for the same reason. On the chopping block are any missions requiring premade crafts or not having anything to do with aircraft.

1 hour ago, inigma said:

I was working on 1.3.1 compatibility when 1.4 hit. I am working on it for 1.4.1. I am going to cull some contracts to make things easier to update in the future. Im ceasing expanding this pack's scope as well for the same reason. On the chopping block are any missions requiring premade crafts or not having anything to do with aircraft.

Sometimes a good culling is all that is needed to make a good mod into a great mod! Makes you think about what parts really deserve to be in there.

In the meantime I'll be waiting with my proverbial napkin on my shirt and cutlery in hand.

2 hours ago, inigma said:

Goodbye tiki bar, we hardly knew ye!

On a similar note, vessel spawning always seems to be the thing that gives me the most grief in updates - hoping that there's some changes in 1.4.1 that'll make this easier (since the mission builder should have the ability to spawn stuff).  Still doesn't help with version to version vessel compatibility, of course...

12 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Goodbye tiki bar, we hardly knew ye!

On a similar note, vessel spawning always seems to be the thing that gives me the most grief in updates - hoping that there's some changes in 1.4.1 that'll make this easier (since the mission builder should have the ability to spawn stuff).  Still doesn't help with version to version vessel compatibility, of course...

Aye. It was a beautiful bar.  I just want to get this pack updated since its been...a...very...long...time. heh  I should be working on most of it his weekend.

I was thinking how nice it would be for some modder to come up with a way to import Mission Builder missions into career contracts...

1 hour ago, inigma said:

I was thinking how nice it would be for some modder to come up with a way to import Mission Builder missions into career contracts...

Hypothetically possible - there's a lot of overlap between CC and Mission Builder functionality.  But it would be easy, since they are structurally different, and the missions can also have a starting situation.

Then you get into the legal aspect - is it a good idea provide something that takes DLC-produced missions and allow them to be loaded in a non-DLC mod?  Probably not.

22 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Then you get into the legal aspect - is it a good idea provide something that takes DLC-produced missions and allow them to be loaded in a non-DLC mod?  Probably not.

I've been in mod communities where some mods just happened to require the DLC, and that's just how it is. Maybe something like that would be possible. Basic, non spawning missions without the DLC, and advanced missions with spawned craft that require the DLC.

5 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I've been in mod communities where some mods just happened to require the DLC, and that's just how it is. Maybe something like that would be possible. Basic, non spawning missions without the DLC, and advanced missions with spawned craft that require the DLC.

Agreed - that would probably be sensible enough.

I've published GAP 1.4 beta here: https://github.com/inigmatus/GAP/releases/tag/1.4

It's a culled down version of GAP for easier maintenance on my part by removing the tedium of having to update prebuilt crafts with every release of KSP, and better focus on your part to just those contracts dealing with aircraft.

It appears to work for the most part. I need a tester or two to run through all the contracts, and help me find bugs with this version. I am also interested in input on what you guys think should be done with the contract rewards and penalties as I've often heard some youtubers say the contracts dont pay enough, or the penalties are too steep.

Thoughts on this latest version of GAP?

19 minutes ago, inigma said:

I've published GAP 1.4 beta

Wait, what?
It's ALIVE! Woot!

Been missing this one inigma, very glad to see you updating it.

20 minutes ago, inigma said:

I'll be giving it a spin momentarily. This work on 1.3.1?

3 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Wait, what?
It's ALIVE! Woot!

Been missing this one inigma, very glad to see you updating it.

I'll be giving it a spin momentarily. This work on 1.3.1?

should. if CC 1.24 works in 1.3.1. I dunno. GAP 1.4 requires CC 1.24 but you could always fudge the version for CC in the Groups.cfg in the GAP root to make it work with an earlier version of CC.

Edited by inigma

5 minutes ago, inigma said:

if CC 1.24 works in 1.3.1.

Apparently, it does not.

5 minutes ago, inigma said:

you could always fudge the version for CC in the Groups.cfg

I may give it a poke sometime. Consider my enthusiasm dampened.
I'm not updating KSP for a while yet, due to many of the mods I use not being compatible and the game itself being full of obvious bugs.
Are you actually using anything that's new in CC 1.24?

Edited by steve_v

Just now, steve_v said:

Apparently, it does not.

I may give it a poke sometime. Consider my enthusiasm dampened.
I'm not updating KSP for a while yet, due to many of the mods I use not being compatible and the game itself being full of obvious bugs.

Understood. I fully expect GAP 1.4 beta to work in 1.3.1. I've just not tested it. If you confirm it works, let me know. Most of the contracts in this version never had any bug reports, so as far as contracts go, this should be one of the most stable releases ever.  That and the most spell-checked version ever. Heh.

Heads up, I forgot that the decoupler part was renamed in KSP 1.4 so in KSP 1.3 the GAP beta it will still work, but in KSP 1.4 the decoupler part contract in GAP beta wont. I've since renamed the part in the contract for the final release for anyone testing GAP beta in KSP 1.4.

4 hours ago, inigma said:

I've published GAP 1.4 beta here: https://github.com/inigmatus/GAP/releases/tag/1.4

It's a culled down version of GAP for easier maintenance on my part by removing the tedium of having to update prebuilt crafts with every release of KSP, and better focus on your part to just those contracts dealing with aircraft.

It appears to work for the most part. I need a tester or two to run through all the contracts, and help me find bugs with this version. I am also interested in input on what you guys think should be done with the contract rewards and penalties as I've often heard some youtubers say the contracts dont pay enough, or the penalties are too steep.

Do you have any specifics on how/what you want tested? I would like to help, but I know my brain, without specific questions, it gets distracted real easily.

One thought on the prebuilt crafts thing, is it possible to have an early contract that tells the player to design a vehicle with X on board with a certain craftname and to then use that? (With a check in case the craftname is invalid ofc)
If that's possible it would keep the benefits of the system you had in place before, but the maintenance would fall on the player themselves.

On 15/03/2018 at 9:53 PM, SlickStretch said:

I'm having the same problem. I don't think it's related to any other mods. I'm also using 1.2.9, but I'm on KSP 1.4

I just gave up on trying that mission. I'm currently going with no contract mods on my recent 1.4.1 install

6 hours ago, inigma said:

I assume this means the Barnstorming the Tool Shed and Coast Gaurd contracts are gone? Those were my favorites, but I can understand if they were particularly hard to keep working.

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I assume this means the Barnstorming the Tool Shed and Coast Gaurd contracts are gone? Those were my favorites, but I can understand if they were particularly hard to keep working.

Coast Guard contracts that don't require pre-made crafts still exist. This includes the downed pilot, and stranded Kerbal mountain climber missions. I will miss the barn, and Nightingale's Tiki Bar but its too much of a hassle to maintain with each release of KSP and occasionally changing vessel spawn mechanics.

4 hours ago, Jognt said:

Do you have any specifics on how/what you want tested? I would like to help, but I know my brain, without specific questions, it gets distracted real easily.

One thought on the prebuilt crafts thing, is it possible to have an early contract that tells the player to design a vehicle with X on board with a certain craftname and to then use that? (With a check in case the craftname is invalid ofc)
If that's possible it would keep the benefits of the system you had in place before, but the maintenance would fall on the player themselves.

Just need someone to run through most of the contracts as normal, including many of the milestone contracts (first flight, helicopter, speed, altitude, etc) and flight contracts (KSC Airlines 101-103) and Coast Guard contracts (rescue pilot, rescue stranded climbers) using both stock and popular modded parts. If no complaints, I'll release 1.4 gold this week.

On 17/03/2018 at 4:24 PM, inigma said:

hrmm...  there aren't any mods that have propellers that are compatible with 1.4 yet, nor does it seem like there will be anytime soon. :(

i guess ill have to test with jets. 

Edited by Errol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.