Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) 1.6.1 - Milestones, Air Flights, Coast Guard

inigma

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody solved the issue where the GAP contracts under the "All" tab cannot be accepted or declined? they're basically just grayed out.

Upon starting a new 1.8.1 save, I am able to accept the prototype contracts, but I can't even accept the glider contract. I'm playing with Realism Overhaul, and no other contract packs.

I'm also not seeing the KSC Airlines contracts.

Edited by KAO

On 7/31/2020 at 5:36 PM, inigma said:

Yes it is. The contacts are still in the pack, just disabled by simply not referencing them in the current progression of contracts. You or anyone are welcome to modify whatever you wish and share your modifications. :)  I'll be happy to publish any fixes you can offer. Feel free to check out the github link referenced on the OP. :) 

I can't seem to locate the cfgs for those missions in the download, are they somewhere on the github?

Edited by oniontrain

• 3 weeks later...

@inigma It looks like those files and folders have been removed from the current release versions. They are not present in the up-to-date repository.

However ...

On 8/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, oniontrain said:

I can't seem to locate the cfgs for those missions in the download, are they somewhere on the github?

My fork of GAP (I recommend you explore and take what you want) has the files you need: DropBuoys Contract & DropBuoy Craft File.

I also created an Archive folder which contains my sooooo-not-up-to-date repository compressed for historical purposes (like this.)

On a completely different note ..

Every Airline-Flight-### contract in GAP\Flights needs to have ln8 modified to be commented out as it throws errors.

//    REQUIREMENTS FOR CONTRACT TO APPEAR

Spoiler

TipToCoders: Comments (//) cause issues with code folding when located outside the code they comment. They should always be indented further than the code above them.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, Alexsys said:

Yo gents, anyone knows if these work good with 1.11.2?

Yes, this pack works in 1.11.2

Module Manager may throw some warnings during loading but they can safely be ignored

Edited by Caerfinon

3 minutes ago, Echo__3 said:

It has been a lot of fun to use.

Ya, this "orginal" GAP mod has really stood the test of time. It's still fun to fly.  @inigma really made something great and showed the rest of us the way with our "GAP-like" mods.

On 5/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, Caerfinon said:

Ya, this "orginal" GAP mod has really stood the test of time. It's still fun to fly.  @inigma really made something great and showed the rest of us the way with our "GAP-like" mods.

Thank you! :D So happy to have inspired those to carry the torch into even more aircraft contract pack greatness! You have done very well with your pack. I look forward to playing them myself! 

On 5/22/2021 at 7:28 PM, Echo__3 said:

I have started a YouTube series that features this mod. It has been a lot of fun to use.

Kerbal Air and Space Program: A Modded Career Play Through - KSP Fan Works - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Ooh something new to watch! I will check it out!

• 4 weeks later...

Started career again and I'm doing some early GAP - love the mod!

I've usually found "Build and fly a glider!" to be a little trickier than it should be, and seen a few people say similar. Took me a few attempts and I've played a bit before. Here's some tips, especially for new players:

• Only accept this one mission, (your limit at start is 2). If you accept anything else you won't be able to get prototypes from mission control to "Puchase command seat tech".
  • Make sure you have some wings, structural parts, a command seat, a decoupler, and a sepratron unlocked, if not you can go into Mission Control and purchase them as a "prototype" mission (for some cash):
    • Purchase command seat tech.
    • Purchase flight control tech - gets some Elevons
    • Purchase sepratron tech.
    • Purchase decoupler tech.
  • Build a very simple glider in the SPH:
    • large I beam for body (or similar)
    • two large wings at front
    • two small at back
    • tail
    • command seat on the front
    • elevons on each wing and tail
    • Use the right click PAW to set front wing elevons to only be "Roll", tail wins to "Pitch" and rudder to "Yaw"'
    • Add two light wheels on front, tail wheel at back (so nose will be angled up, your plane will just take off)
    • Stick the sepratron underneath on a small structural plate and then above that a decoupler:
      • Important - you can't use a stack decoupler or seperator as part of it will remain on the vessel and part will fall off getting destroyed and "safely" requirement will fail. Using the decoupler means just the plate and sepratron will be lost "safely".
    • Check center of mass is forward of the center of lift.
    • Check staging: sepratron in stage 0, decoupler in 1
  • Go the the airfield to launch:
    • Make sure to use a pilot
    • Turn on SAS
    • Press space and at about 20m/s or so pull back
    • Almost immediately (I believe below 50m) press space to decouple the sepratron.
    • Fly enough to complete the mission (I think you have to reach about 150m up?)
    • Nose slightly down, try to keep airspeed above 20m/s so you don't stall
    • Land carefully
    • Brake carefully :-)

On 6/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, 610yesnolovely said:

...I've usually found "Build and fly a glider!" to be a little trickier than it should be...

For this mission USI Sounding rockets mod is your best friend here. Auto-drop feature is awesome. Look at this craft from Caerfinon - it's built for this mission special: 

https://kerbalx.com/Caerfinon/Wing-Walker

I can also suggest using Atmospheric autopilot mod - it helps a lot when flying planes.

2 hours ago, Warro said:

For this mission USI Sounding rockets mod is your best friend here. Auto-drop feature is awesome. Look at this craft from Caerfinon - it's built for this mission special: 

https://kerbalx.com/Caerfinon/Wing-Walker

I can also suggest using Atmospheric autopilot mod - it helps a lot when flying planes.

That is very cool. I ended up not having USI Sounding Rockets - did not know it had that neat feature.  I agree on Atmospheric Autopilot - it's amazing. Useful trick for new players is to build and test a plane without that on - if it's fairly stable without, then it'll be fantastic to fly with AA on.

Plane building is simple - CoL behind CoM, but not too far, we don't need dart. The trick is to check this setup at +-AoA, I usually pick whole craft via shift+click and then rotate 1 step to each AoA (pitch) setting. If CoL jumps forward, so even lift CoM behind - trust me, that will not fly good. It should jump up/down with only small shift forward. Oh, nearly forget second important trick - try to keep CoM with full and empty tanks if not the same, than with minimal shift. RCSBuidAid greatly helps to control this.

7 hours ago, Warro said:

Plane building is simple - CoL behind CoM, but not too far, we don't need dart. The trick is to check this setup at +-AoA, I usually pick whole craft via shift+click and then rotate 1 step to each AoA (pitch) setting. If CoL jumps forward, so even lift CoM behind - trust me, that will not fly good. It should jump up/down with only small shift forward. Oh, nearly forget second important trick - try to keep CoM with full and empty tanks if not the same, than with minimal shift. RCSBuidAid greatly helps to control this.

Even more easier aproach if you use FAR is to read graph files instead of rotating craft in SPH. It gives you all necessary data for each AoA. I usually need a very small tweaks after first test flight if I need to tweak something at all. Building stable craft is mandatory for me, because of playing on keyboard. There is mod that gives you similar graph data as FAR, but for stock physics. Just giving extra info without changing stock physics. Sorry, I forgot mod name.

57 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Even more easier aproach if you use FAR is to read graph files instead of rotating craft in SPH. It gives you all necessary data for each AoA. I usually need a very small tweaks after first test flight if I need to tweak something at all. Building stable craft is mandatory for me, because of playing on keyboard. There is mod that gives you similar graph data as FAR, but for stock physics. Just giving extra info without changing stock physics. Sorry, I forgot mod name.

You probably mean Kerbal Wind Tunnel, I was just about to install this today (never used it before) - it's does not support FAR however (I don't use FAR). It does indeed have similar graphs, but also a very interesting looking flight envelope display and the ability to show parts which are causing drag in the editor (which can be a good or bad thing).

13 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

You probably mean Kerbal Wind Tunnel, I was just about to install this today (never used it before) - it's does not support FAR however (I don't use FAR). It does indeed have similar graphs, but also a very interesting looking flight envelope display and the ability to show parts which are causing drag in the editor (which can be a good or bad thing).

Yep, that one. It is not compatible with FAR (due to different physics calculation) and there is no need for that because FAR provide it's own graphs. But, for people that like stock physics more than FAR, for whatever reason, I would recommend that mod. It provide much more data over stock game that, once you figure out how to use it, saves a lot of time and much less test flights.

• 1 month later...

I've used this contract pack since inception  and love it? I'm currently kitting out a new playthrough and trying a few things different.

So my question: does this contract pack work with Planet Packs or is it solely for stock solar systems?

I'm thinking out using Beyond Home, needless to say my home planet isn't Kerbin.

Edited by Shizen

6 minutes ago, Shizen said:

So my question: does this contract pack work with Planet Packs or is it solely for stock solar systems?

The answer is yes and no.

The rescue contracts and the airline flight contracts in the original GAP are very specific to locations centered around the stock Kerbin world.

The flight progression contracts are fairly generic and with the exception of Barnstorming the Islands Airport hangers, they could work well with a home-world that is close in size to Kerbin. 

That said, the altitude heights and speed requirements could be easily edited to accommodate larger worlds.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:27 AM, Warro said:

Look at this craft from Caerfinon - it's built for this mission special

Glad you enjoyed it. Sounding rockets are like the Swiss Army knife of early career game fun. Then can do many wonderful things.

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 4:11 AM, Caerfinon said:

That said, the altitude heights and speed requirements could be easily edited to accommodate larger worlds.

Is it possible though to make this 'automatic'? I've been playing on 2.5x rescale, and noticed it wasn't possible to complete the barnstorming contracts, since the maximum allowed altituted was then below the ground. Adding a few meters manually in the config made it possible though, but it's kinda tedious.

32 minutes ago, KawaiiLucy said:

Adding a few meters manually in the config made it possible though, but it's kinda tedious.

Unfortunately there is no link between Rescale and Contract Configurator that would account for this kind of automation. It is technically possible but all the pieces are yet to be coded in both mods to support this.    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.