I regret to inform you

RedDwarfIV

Yet at the age of 2/3 years mine still stands with one upgrade(The place we got it from replaced the hard drive with a WAY downgraded one.)

My laptop is approaching 3 years old. I don\'t think it has ever had a BSOD. Although various other types of error are aplenty.

A few weeks ago, my laptop died. Starts, but proceeds to reboot the minute you do anything like load an OS.

A few days ago, my trusty 15 year old Dell took a crap. The screen when all white with vertical yellow pinstripes. Now when I turn it on the drive light comes on but the video never activates.

I can probably fix these things, but honestly, after 30 years of building, maintaining, and repairing computers, I just don\'t want to anymore.

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky

I can probably fix these things, but honestly, after 30 years of building, maintaining, and repairing computers, I just don\'t want to anymore.

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky

skunky, lets face it, its not that hard to do.

I never said it was hard, just that I don\'t want to. It would involve a lot of unplugging of cables, some heavy lifting and a lot of standing at the work bench. All things that aggravate my back injury. So, it\'s more of a pain in my back issue.

It\'s a card, but you\'re probably right. The motherboard has been giving me issues for a while. It\'s not like this was completely unexpected.

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky

My basement gaming PC has a rather odd habit of refusing to wake up after it goes to sleep. Whenever I leave it for long enough of a time to cause it to sleep, it completely cuts video output. I know its still on (fans and lights on) it just refuses to output video. I\'ve even tried to unplug the monitor.

Oddly enough if i\'m in the room when it goes to sleep it wakes up fine!

I\'m convinced its silently trolling me... :\'(

Well my trusty Sony Windows me laptop I repaired just died for the SECOND time. I\'m not repairing again. The core of the CPU melted. It\'s most likely the motherboard. Plus the lithium ION battery it uses died(It doesn\'t hold charge for long.) I\'m fine with just having desktop PCs now.

Want a list of computers I have killed?

Mac Pro (2003-2012) Never have a power surge without grounding.

Mac PowerBook G4 (2005-2012) I hate power cords.

Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 (2010-2012?) Maintain the power input!

• [li]Note: if I can fix the power input or put in an external battery charger, it will work. I screwed up the keyboard, though.[/li]

This year, I have lost TONS of hardware to the ravages of heavy usage (and trying to make KSP work on a PowerPC chip.)

eMachines eMonster 1000: PSU explosion.

Dell Latittude D610: Power Supply failure.

Acer Aspire T180: Too much software.

Texas Instruments Extensa: missing crucial DLLs.

Medion MDPPC 150: Operating system corruption.

I had a power supply failing out.

And I destroyed a computer some years ago, it had a slightly older DirectX version than necessary for the games (I think it was 9.0b istead of c), but close enough for the patcher to think it was the newest. For some reason I don\'t know I deleted DirectX (yes that works!), making the system crash if trying to draw the mousepointer. I managed to fix it myself after more than one month of trying, without even loosing data.

And last year, I cut power while playing SW:EAWFOC, which made Windows not start anymore for some reason. I copied C: to an external HD for safety, the copy was OK but C: needed formatting for some reason after that ???. Don\'t really miss all the data so I left it on the external HD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.