Create a storyline.

I was listening to some friends discuss other games such as GTA and Destiny and they were mentioning adding storylines to the game. I think that would be a great idea for KSP. For example, what's the deal with Bill, Bob, and Jeb? What about the monolithis? There are several runes on Kerbal and some of the moons, How do they fit into the story? There a giant crater on Kerbal that must have gotten someone's attention. What's up with that. What about the island base and the other one that seems to be deserted except for the radar working. And the SSTV signal on Duna needs some explaining as well. This could be a way your could add a fourth dimension to the game besides just sandbox and career and funds. 

Definitely not very high on the priority list, but some sort of brief 'history' behind the other (apparently) kerbal made sites would be a nice touch.  Not sure about the monoliths and crashed ufos etc though, I think they may be best just left a mystery 

I personally like that there isn't really any set story in KSP, gives us room to make our own. :)

As for the SSTV signal, there is some kind of (never-implemented) story behind it: http://pastebin.com/3vvjushy

(Spoilers, I guess? I don't think it counts if it never happened. :sticktongue:)

Edited by GluttonyReaper

I always thought that this game was heading to some sort of story.

I mean why do we have scenarios if they only hold tutorials?

I always was wondering if and when the Devs would change up the scenarios so modders can make their own mission packs, and the Devs themselves create more of a "storyline" or at least missions that interconnect with some sort of story.

It would still be a secondary part of the game, but if the tools are there I can see the community making some really cool stuff!

Currently, when you start a new game, you get an option for Sandbox, Science, and Career. They could add an option for Story. Also, I like the idea of 'cut scenes' and they could even use existing videos Squad have on YouTube. You're right about it not being for everyone. But, using the modes that currently exist aren't for everyone as it is. That's why there's a choice when you start a new game. Remember back in the day when you're only option for a new game was Sandbox mode? I'm not saying this is something that needs to come out in 1.1 or even 1.x. It was planned by some of the developers very early on in the development of the game and was put on the back burner when it got as busy as it currently is. But, I'm just saying this is something that could add another dimension to the game and possibly attract new players and increase revenue for Squad.

This is going to sound a bit dumb but whether somebody would find Story mode fun to play will probably depend on how much of an appetite they have for reading. The reason I say that is that KSP isn't particularly interactive. Outside of building and launching rockets and landing kerbals (or probes) in specific locations, there's not a lot the player can actually do to influence a story or move it forward. So a Story mode would probably need to be bit like an old style real-time strategy game, where you have discrete missions with cut scenes between them to tell the story. Cut scenes would be a lot of extra work for Squad, so a story mode is more likely to become a series of missions interspersed with chunks of text.

I'm honestly not sure how well it would work and I say this as somebody who's written a fairly extensive backstory for KSP which could probably be boiled down into a series of missions for an in-game story, starting from sub-orbital flights out of the Tier 1 space centre (or conceivably, the Barn if that ever makes an appearance) and going all the way through to a very definite reason to do major interplanetary missions. 

I'm not keen on the idea of an overall 'play through story/campaign mode' similar to what we get with CoD etc. (If that's why the OP is suggesting) as I think that could just be too limiting.  But I can see the value of a few short story type 'sets' of connected missions as linked tutorials.

I feel like this has come up and the general sense I got was that Squad was pretty happy to let players create their own stories. Im not sure if a story mode really fits there, but just a cinematic set up about how things got started could be fun.

I liked the fact that there was an easter egg in a form of the SSTV signal on Duna or the Valhenge, created by @NovaSilisko. I think he was intending to extend the story and it was some sort of sneak peek of what's going to be added next. Maybe not a kerbal plot itself, but it was actually fun to guess what's it all about. Too bad he doesn't work with SQUAD anymore. He did some amazing retexturing work in Alternis and I would love to see some of his ideas in a form of extended solar system in stock.

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.