KSP Forums App?

drekerb42

39 minutes ago, rustysocket said:

Don't forget windows phones!

Oh yeah! Sorry. And the Windows store!!!

49 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

I agree.  This should be in Kerbal Network, BTW.

How do I switch the thread to that forum section? (Kinda new to the forum) 

48 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'm certainly not against the idea, but I'd also like to say that the new forum layout is way more mobile friendly than the old one.

The app could even come with some KSP tools like a map of Kerbin, DV calculator, maybe a plugin for Kerbal Alarm Clock mod, etc...

I'd download it in a heartbeat!

I agree with that.

I like the DeltaV Calculator idea too. Kind of like ksp.olex.biz but more official if the mod was made by Squad (unintentionally rhyming) :sticktongue:

14 hours ago, drekerb42 said:

Who thinks there should be a KSP Forums mobile app for the App Store, Google Play and the Windows Store?

Not I, that's what a web browser is for.
I really don't understand this current craze for 'app' versions of every website - most of them are little more than a lightly customised shell around the stock browser and only serve to consume memory and disk space.

What would such an 'app' offer that a well written, mobile friendly, OS agnostic website could not?

A kerbal calculator, perhaps - but again, what's wrong with ksp.olex.biz? To make a convincing case for an app, it needs to do something only a locally installed app can do.
It also adds at least 3 different platform dependent code-bases to maintain, I'm not seeing the need TBH.

I don't see any real point in an 'app' version of the forum. I just have a shortcut/bookmark on my phone home screen (tap icon - forum opens) no different to an app launcher for the same thing. I still need Internet access to use the forum whether there is an app or not.

As for offline 'app' versions of some of the calculation tools, like olex.biz etc, then yes please.  But I don't see any real benefit from integrating them into a forum app, better off as self contained smaller apps IMHO. 

Edit...  And yes I'd willingly pay a reasonable amount for that type of thing. In fact I'd rather 'buy' than 'donate'.

Edited by pandaman

15 hours ago, drekerb42 said:

How do I switch the thread to that forum section? (Kinda new to the forum) 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, InterCity said:

Good idea!

Thanks! I kind of get the disagreement though. I just want notifications when I get a reply or something.

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

I really don't understand this current craze for 'app' versions of every website - most of them are little more than a lightly customised shell around the stock browser and only serve to consume memory and disk space.

What would such an 'app' offer that a well written, mobile friendly, OS agnostic website could not?

A kerbal calculator, perhaps - but again, what's wrong with ksp.olex.biz? To make a convincing case for an app, it needs to do something only a locally installed app can do.
It also adds at least 3 different platform dependent code-bases to maintain, I'm not seeing the need TBH.

Can't disagree though. It's a good point!

16 minutes ago, drekerb42 said:

I just want notifications when I get a reply or something.

Though I haven't actually tried it, I suspect turning email notifications on and enabling push (or whatever equiv in ios/Winphone) in your mobile email client would achieve this.
It'd be a handy feature, but IMO wouldn't justify another battery/data sucking background app if it can be done with existing software.

I'm somewhat allergic to the "my phone must annoy me with trivia every 5 seconds" thing that people seem so keen on anyway, but each to their own.

Edited by steve_v

More and more sites are going "responsive" so they work better with mobile devices.  Create an "app" for this would be massive overkill and a giant waste of time and money.

Edited by Caelib

On 1/5/2016 at 1:30 PM, steve_v said:

Relevant: https://xkcd.com/1174/

On 1/6/2016 at 4:06 PM, FullMetalMachinist said:

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but in case you really wanted to know, Windows phone is Microsoft's half-hearted attempt to compete with Android and iOS. 

Mobile Windows being older than either Android or iOS, it's more like they are Apple and Google's full-hearted attempt to compete with it. :) 

Hi guys! 

I have one question: why isn't there a mobile app for the forum? Since there are many modders who could probably easily do this, why have this not become a thing? I don't like opening my browser and google-ing it and logging in...

I am a proud Android user, but it would be nice to have it for Android and IOs. 

What do you think?

6 minutes ago, p14082003 said:

Hi guys! 

I have one question: why isn't there a mobile app for the forum? Since there are many modders who could probably easily do this, why have this not become a thing? I don't like opening my browser and google-ing it and logging in...

I am a proud Android user, but it would be nice to have it for Android and IOs. 

What do you think?

There have been several threads in this.  Any posts about the forum itself should go in the Kerbal Network.

17 minutes ago, p14082003 said:

why isn't there a mobile app for the forum?

An app for displaying a website is generally called a "browser".

I don't like opening my browser and google-ing it and logging in...

So use a bookmark or a homescreen launcher and enable cookies for auto-login.

What do you think?

I think this has already been discussed, and it would be lots of work with little or no advantage over a browser.

8 minutes ago, p14082003 said:

I havent se en any Of those

Try the search function. :rolleyes:

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.