[1.0.5]AutoRove - autonomous rovermovement in the background

Wotano

6 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

If its not done it automatically after checking the box, that is unusual. If you have a more complex install process than 'copy this GameData folder into your Gamedata folder', then I believe you do need to create a netkan file.

I think I am going to need this mod :/ yet another thing to fit into limited memory :P

I checked the NetKAN Repo and it did pull the mod correctly from Kerbalstuff 5 days ago: automatic Pullrequest.

I used their .netkan file to produce a .ckan file and added it to the first post, hopefully it updates eventually.

I'm in the middle of making my own system since I have to do more with waypoints later on and make sure they are tied to the individual rover.

This and a way to select points with the mouse is supposed to go into the 1.1 release soonTM.

On 1/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, FungusForge said:

Think you could look into adding support for Kerbal Foundries wheels?

These are great rover wheels.

Very excited to try this mod out. (autorove)

Edited by frencrs

Interesting mod.

The Rover seems to get placed into the ground, had one case where something went wrong when the game tried to return the rover to the surface and catapulted it.

We have many mods with waypoint systems, even one that's nothing but a waypoint system, one problem with them is that except for MechJeb and ScanSat none of them can communicate with each other, making it really annoying.

3 hours ago, MatttheCzar said:

Not sure quite how to use this mod. Once I set autorove, do i switch to a vehicle out of range, or go to the tracking station? The latter doesnt seem to work.

Unloaded is the key to allow the mod to work, so both works.

The idea has great potential, but I just can't get this mod to work at all.

1st attempt: I built the simplest rover I could to test it (rovemate body, 4x rovemax wheels, solar panel and antenna) and launched it from the runway, but as soon as I clicked the "start AutoRove" button in the Rovemate right-click menu I got a spam of UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext errors in ExceptionDetector and the UI is all messed up. I can't even revert flight because the only button visible in the escape menu is "Resume Flight" and it also isn't working.

2nd attempt: After restarting KSP, launching the same rover again and struggling with the controls, I finally got the dialog with the coordinate input fields but even then I can't get the target to appear in the list and the rover just sits there.

3rd attempt: Now the target appears in the list and the rover moves, then after a few km the target disappeared from the list and the rover stopped.

Edit:

The exception mentioned in the 1st attempt is:

[Exception]: ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint.

Aborting

Edited by lodestar

5 minutes ago, Donziboy2 said:

Double check and make sure you have it installed correctly,  I had no issues using the Rovemate or adding a cfg for some of the smaller probe cores.

Yes, of course I have it installed correctly. 

4 hours ago, lodestar said:

3rd attempt: Now the target appears in the list and the rover moves, then after a few km the target disappeared from the list and the rover stopped.

That sounds like correct behavior on Kerbin, you can't drive over water...

On planets without water the rover can move from the north to the south pole and so far it works perfectly, had a million visit this place contract pack missions on Mun, that I used a single rover and Auto Rover to complete, most of the time I could manage to get within 1-2K from the objective.

52 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

That sounds like correct behavior on Kerbin, you can't drive over water...

On planets without water the rover can move from the north to the south pole and so far it works perfectly, had a million visit this place contract pack missions on Mun, that I used a single rover and Auto Rover to complete, most of the time I could manage to get within 1-2K from the objective.

But it wasn't driving over water. it was on the plains next to KSC. It might be working perfectly for you, but even the UI doesn't work for me. In fact, the UI gets corrupted to the point that I had to kill KSP and restart.

I'm running the Linux 64 KSP, heavily modded. Maybe it's some mod interaction, maybe it's something wrong with running it on Linux 64 bits, but it's simply unplayable.

Edited by lodestar

13 minutes ago, Tantalus said:

So if I want to set the destination to 15°S, 38°W, I type it in as -15N, -38E? Sorry, but I'm a little confused about that. :blush:

Little suggestion, for simple life use waypoint manager and take coordinates from the edit window

Other than that i have noticed in bop and pol autorove set speed to 60 ms

Regards

Luca

On 1/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, FungusForge said:

Think you could look into adding support for Kerbal Foundries wheels?

Just an echo of that request.  I've got a rover that just doesn't work with the standard wheels, but works fine with some small tracks, that I intended to use with AutoRove.

On 1/31/2016 at 2:56 PM, Badsector said:

Little suggestion, for simple life use waypoint manager and take coordinates from the edit window

Other than that i have noticed in bop and pol autorove set speed to 60 ms

Regards

Luca

I second the request / idea to make use of waypoint manager files.  Even if you create your own waypoint system, the ability to read / import waypoint files from other mods would really help.

Thanks for all of the work that has / is going into this mod.

Cheers.

On 1/6/2016 at 6:04 AM, Lyneira said:

I like this mod, this will make rovers useful for a lot more things! Scaling down the speed at which a rover will travel based on the gravity is a good thing, though I would suggest lowering the speed further as there are other factors to consider:

• The maximum speed that wheels will reach can be over 20 m/s for some wheels or even higher. While you can drive relatively safely on Kerbin at that speed, this only goes for flat terrain with no sudden bumps.
  • A rover that's designed to actually carry something with it will not reach this maximum speed due to the rover's mass.
  • Even when going downhill, you wouldn't want a safe autopilot to go above its regular driving speed because it is harder to brake or turn for obstacles.
  • It is reasonable to assume the autopilot would not merely drive a straight line from A to B but avoid obstacles, cliffs, valleys, travel up slopes at an angle to maintain speed. All of this reduces the average traveling speed.
  • For short distances, it leaves the player with a reason to still drive something themselves because they might be willing/able to take risks that the autonomous pilot wouldn't.

To summarize, lowering the max speed will make it a more believable abstraction, but also importantly, it doesn't hurt the player's time significantly because as with the rest of the game's space travel, you can timewarp through it. :)

Might I suggest a good compromise on the speed issue would be the mod requires calibration on a per vehicle/planet basis? For example you need to drive the rover for one minute in a straight line for it to find the max speed with the current cargo load, and maybe it can also use this time to calculate energy usage over time. This would not only set a realistic max speed, but would account for nuclear powered rovers (with mods) which may have a near limitless run-time, vs solar powered rovers with limited battery reserve. Then save these constants into the ship save profile and use them to calculate how long it will take to reach it's destination, and maybe a fixed percentage extra time per planet to simulate how rough it's terrain is.

Hello to all.

H'mm, I am having no luck with this at all...

The rover has been built, and when launched it has option to start autorove.

When AutoRove icon is selected, different things may happen.  Total lockup, new window (empty) or same window but contents off to one side.

When little window comes up for target, unable to enter any numbers into it.

When trying to close little window, new little window comes up, but only with LAT box.

Sometimes complete lockup of ksp.

and log full of;

[EXC 05:17:28.720] ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext ()
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (Single minWidth, Single maxWidth, Single minHeight, Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.Space (Single pixels)
    PauseMenu.draw (Int32 id)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 05:17:28.740] ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext ()
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (Single minWidth, Single maxWidth, Single minHeight, Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.Space (Single pixels)
    PauseMenu.draw (Int32 id)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 05:17:28.770] ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint

any ideas?  what can i send to you?  all logs ???

thanks, i really am looking forward to this mod..

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.